What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One, he is getting some male vocals fine and one not on one recording. That doesn't mean anything unless a consistency is found across recordings.

The duo mezzo XD have adjustable bass EQ, right? Plus there is a crossover to JL subs. Best is to play around with the settings to see if this harshness gets eliminated. That way speaker or recording issue can be isolated

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
My preferred interpreters of the Carter quartets. Terrific sound too.

Reactions: NorthStar and Al M.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
HIP Fauré on period instruments. Very nice - -

Reactions: NorthStar

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
These chamber works by Spanish composer Ramon Lazkano are ideally suited to the immense talents on display by the amazing ensemble recherche, one of the truly great new music ensembles in the world.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
My preferred interpreters of the Carter quartets. Terrific sound too.

There is also the Carter quartet’s number one and two on Nonesuch records. Mastered by Bob Ludwig. Excellent recording. And I find good recordings of string quartet’s to be not so easy to fine!

wil

Jul 22, 2015
There is also the Carter quartet’s number one and two on Nonesuch records. Mastered by Bob Ludwig. Excellent recording. And I find good recordings of string quartet’s to be not so easy to find!

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
New acquisition:
Early classical trio sonatas from the private collection of the wealthy silk merchant Lukas Sarasin (1730-1802) of Basel Switzerland--

DSD64

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Really gorgeous stuff here in excellent sound from an original analog recording from Jan. 1982.

Luigi Rossi (1597-1653)

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Federico Maria Sardelli: Baroque Concertos, Psalm, Chamber Music
Modo Antiquo, Federico Maria Sardelli, et al.

Contemporary music in Baroque style, composed and conducted by the current custodian of the Vivaldi RV catalog.

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Senza Continuo
Margaret Little

Works for solo viola da gamba by Monsieur de Sainte-Colombe, Le Sieur de Machy, Aurelio Virgiliano, Tobias Hume and Marin Marais.

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Jacques Gallot (c.1625-c.1695): works for lute
Pascal Monteilhet, lute

rec. 1993

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

andolink

Jul 28, 2016

Reactions: Al M. and NorthStar

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Musically, i think these are excellent albums of good music, where the playing is both vivacious and technically very good. PLUS, they are both remarkably well recorded/mastered. An audiophile trifecta.

I read about them from a senior editor's Desert Island list, and these were on it.

Vivaldi - BIS Recorder.jpg Vivaldi - BIS Lute.jpg

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Sheer delight! Thanks to @Bachtoven for pointing me to this on that other site.

rec. 2008

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Sheer delight! Thanks to @Bachtoven for pointing me to this on that other site. [...]

Bachtoven used to appear on computeraudiophile.com music forum as DeathFugue but haven't seen him there for a while. So what's this other site? Now back to the album, the title does ring a bell but haven't seen the cover before. Turns out it's included in Italian Baroque Sonatas and Concertos compilation on the Zig-Zag Territories label. So I've had it for a while. Anyway, listened to this earlier today:

Jean-Féry Rebel: Violin Sonatas
Andrew Manze, Richard Egarr, Jaap ter Linden

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing