What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
For the first time ever I questioned if Jarrett would not have made a successful transition to a small range of classical repertoire were it not for his skiing accident.

Reactions: Andrew S.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
For the first time ever I questioned if Jarrett would not have made a successful transition to a small range of classical repertoire were it not for his skiing accident.

I am sorry but I do not understand this post. Would you be kind enough to tell me about Jarrets skiing accident and how it has effected him?

Did you enjoy this album?

Surfski

Apr 7, 2020
I am sorry but I do not understand this post. Would you be kind enough to tell me about Jarrets skiing accident and how it has effected him?

Did you enjoy this album?

Whilst I'm not Rando, maybe this may help. About half way down is mention of the skiing accident. It prevented him from stretching as assiduously as he used to prior and to a degree limited his repertoire after . Funny, I also thought he had the musical intelligence to be able to play classical piano extremely well. I hear stuff in his Shostakovich that I don't in some of of the more noted heavy hitters .

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Thanks Surfski,

Finger dexterity was amply explored by composers over the centuries. It is said Jarrett has small hands for a pianist of his renown which might have been less restrictive in Jazz or other forms of music. Effectively there are combinations of physical traits that can remove ability to play a large number of virtuosic pieces. Following his accident there were simply too many for him to surmount.

It also bears mention of this NYT interview from late October 2020 which might have been missed.

But this month Jarrett (75), broke the silence, plainly stating what happened to him: a stroke in late February 2018, followed by another one that May. It is unlikely he will ever perform in public again.

“I was paralysed,” he said by phone from his home in northwest New Jersey. “My left side is still partially paralysed. I’m able to try to walk with a cane, but it took a long time for that, took a year or more. And I’m not getting around this house at all really.”

As for if I enjoyed the album. Quite honestly my appraisal of Mr. Jarrett's efforts in the Classical world was his research drew him towards somewhat odd decisions without excavating anything new of worth, previous to this. In much the same manner one might dispense with a Barenboim or other pianist deemed less than engaging. The quality of playing, though rather sparsely orchestrated, was higher on this release than had previously been encountered. Better matched to Gidon Kremer or any of the other artists. Which did make the experience enjoyable.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Recording strings is Philips' specialty!

20210626_232232~3.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Interesting...I have been debating about this particular one. How do you compare with the any others you might have heard? I have:
- Hilary Hahn
- Grumiaux
- Rachel Podger
- Itzhak Perlman
- James Ehnes
Great question. Let me have a think on it.

My instinctive reaction is that I am not qualified nor should I pass any form of judgement on any of these artists: I mean I can’t even hold a violin properly. Who am I to hold any opinion on any of them?

That said I do acknowledge that inevitably we may care more for one type of performance than another according to what may be thought as personal preference. Of all the artists above….no - I cannot say. All are different all wonderful. And I would have to go back and listen to the various performances again.

I will say I enjoyed this recording immensely. The playing was first rate - top notch - and production itself crisp - frankly flawless - recording really has gotten better these last few years.

I like Harmonia Mundi very much.

Faust plays these at a fair clip. She is, to my ears, confident in her bow action - on the front edge - almost impatient. It is - again to these old ears - a performance of energy.

I loved it.

Caveat being I am currently dosed up on copious atypical opioids and hypnotics recovering from the attentions of a spinal surgeon.

I have my speakers set up in my bedroom approximately 3 ft apart and 4 ft away aimed at my legs being played at most 60-65 db - and as you can see I’m streaming from chromecast into an older Denon mini system: long story but lightest and easiest to move: path of least resistance.

I’m not exactly Grammophone Magazine.

Hearty recommendation, regardless.

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
That certainly explains sudden appearance in a number of discussions along with actively haunting this thread for curatives. Admittedly not many of my recent posts summoned pastoral and gentle scenes conditioned towards healing. Mend well.

Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante in E flat Major for Violin, Viola and Orchestra KV364 is another piece with many good contenders reaching back to Grumiaux and Heifetz. Choice of viola soloist plays a rather large part leading to even more pairings with these greats on record.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
:) That certainly explains sudden appearance in a number of discussions along with actively haunting this thread for curatives. Admittedly not many of my recent posts summoned pastoral and gentle scenes conditioned towards healing. Mend well.

Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante in E flat Major for Violin, Viola and Orchestra KV364 is another piece with many good contenders reaching back to Grumiaux and Heifetz. Choice of viola soloist plays a rather large part leading to even more pairings with these greats on record.

Hi Rando,
Thanks!
I own the Fischer/Nikolic/Kreizberg, and will buy the Midori/Imai/Eschenbach as per your recommendation.

It so happened last night that I listened to these two albums :

20210626_200456~2.jpg

The Oistrakhs' has all along been my favorite!

rando

Sep 22, 2019
It so happened last night that I listened to these two albums

That is amazing. Was actively looking at options to buy the Oistrakh recording and will be certain to do so now!

I'm not sure LL21 or Andrew S. have libraries as heavy on this piece as we appear to. This was an impulse purchase download* a few minutes after posting that looks to be interesting.

Midori/Imai/Eschenbach will hopefully prove to be to your satisfaction. Viola tuning is not the only artistic choice setting it apart.

Booklet 05.png

*Qobuz US has Chandos on sale up to 40% off.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
That certainly explains sudden appearance in a number of discussions along with actively haunting this thread for curatives. Admittedly not many of my recent posts summoned pastoral and gentle scenes conditioned towards healing. Mend well.

Ha ha - I suppose it does. Thank you for your kind wishes - its slow going, but on the mend.

You are right though - have been having far too much to say for myself. Point taken. Besides - I'm no audiophile these days.

As for library - just assume if it isn't on Primephonic then I don't have it. I bend the knee to all here.

Cheerio,

Reactions: rando

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting...I have been debating about this particular one. How do you compare with the any others you might have heard? I have:
- Hilary Hahn
- Grumiaux
- Rachel Podger
- Itzhak Perlman
- James Ehnes

Of those Grumiaux will be far superior.

Many other older performances from Milstein, Devy Erlih, Henryk szeryng are excellent. In modern recordings the Sigiswald Kujiken on Harmonia Mundi is excellent you might want to check if a CD is available..

Btw I watched Faust, Hahn, Podger and Ehnes play in various concerts though not the partitas.

Reactions: rando and CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing