What do you think of this video

What do you think of this video. And this is not directed to those who think every mobile phone video is trash, thanks. Please listen to the end for the brass and the woodwinds

Regardless of the "situation" the biiggest problem is always universal, i.e. a given playback system's raised noise floor, and of course the remedy is equally universal i.e. the attempt to dramatically lower a given playback system's raised noise floor.

But when you can't hear any noise whatsoever, with your ear against a 109dB/w@1m horn, how do you go about lowering the noise further?

Mani.

Last edited:
I'd be very curious to hear the same 3 tracks with the DSP disabled. Any chance we could hear that?

Unfortunately I can't do that - the DSP is required to match the different amp gains and driver sensitivities.

But I lived with the Animas for 3 1/2 years before going the DSP route, so know them quite intimately. I can't hear the DSP doing anything untoward.

Mani.

I did mentioned that from Mani's Scheherazade, I would like it even more if the tone is a little more vivid. And I speculated that if the front end and software were different the sound of the system could jump another level.

Hi Tang, I'd be inclined to suspect the recording chain rather than the front end and software.

I agree that the front end is absolutely critical though. It continues to amaze me that even bit-identical changes in H/W and S/W can have such profound affects on the sound. "Digital - perfect sound for ever." Yeah right!

Mani.

The only vinyl rips you used were the Haitink Bruckner and the outer drum track, correct?

The Haitink and Brubeck were vinyl rips. The Sheffield Drum was an XRCD.

Much as I enjoyed ripping the vinyl, it reminded me of why I switched to digital in my main system ;).

Mani.

Reactions: christoph
But when you can't hear any noise whatsoever, with your ear against a 109dB/w@1m horn, how do you go about lowering the noise further?

Mani.

I tried explaining briefly in my previous post, Mani. Yes, audible distortions are audible. But the most severe distortions are inaudible. These are the distortions overlooked by most. IMO, audible distortions induce no harm in comparison to the inaudible distortions. These are the primary distortions that dictate the level of true noise floor for a given system where even though we have confidence that 100% of the music info is read from the medium, the percentage of music read and processed BUT then remaining inaudible at the speaker is almost soley determined by the overwhelming inaudible distortions. These are the distortions that absolutely cripple the accuracy and precision of every last one of our sensitive instruments. So much so that our components are only able to perform far closer to their base levels rather than their full optimal levels.

Like I said, hearing nothing at the mid and high drivers is a great start. But it still is just a start.

I think I'm getting confused with semantics.

There's noise and there's distortion. Noise is uncorrelated with the music. Even when there's no music playing, there's still noise - the noise floor. Distortion is correlated with the music. You only hear distortion when music plays.

I think the mistake most people make is in thinking that the music signal sits 'on top' of the noise floor - as long as you can't hear the noise floor when music plays then all is good. I don't think our hearing works like this - for example, you can hear a tone imbedded in noise. A better way of looking at this is to imagine the noise floor 'riding on top' of the music signal. The signal gets increasingly 'muddy' the higher the noise floor. So, you may not be able to actually make out the noise when the music plays (as you can when there's no signal and you can hear the noise floor), but it will have a detrimental affect on the sound.

This is why I think it's important to strive for having an inaudible noise floor at full gain.

Distortion is another matter...

Mani.

Listening to headphone is not always better. Many headphones are color. They tune the sound of headphone such that you can listen for longer time smoothening out things to create fatique free for long time lisyening. One needs to find his own playback listening to what he recorded such that it sounds more resemblance to his system in real. In my case I could just listen to my Samsung S10. I actually listen to all videos through my mobile without head phone. This morning I listen to my Bruckner 7 video using my son's new head phone and surprise surprise I heard my system had the kind of tone Mani's video presented. That was not close to the sound of my system in real.

Listening to headphone is not always better. One needs to find his own playback listening to what he recorded such that it sounds more resemblance to his system in real. In my case I could just listen to my Samsung S10. I actually listen to all videos through my mobile without head phone. This morning I listen to my Bruckner 7 video using my son's new head phone and surprise surprise I heard my system had the kind of tone Mani's video presented. That was not close to the sound of my system in real.

You won't get the insight through the mobile. No wonder you read the videos so wrong sometimes. Just stream to a small speaker or use headphones. Even those apple earphones don't work well

You won't get the insight through the mobile. No wonder you read the videos so wrong sometimes. Just stream to a small speaker or use headphones. Even those apple earphones don't work well
No wonder you heard muddy as great also Bonz. On this subject of listening video I could beat you anytime using just my Samsung.

No wonder you heard muddy as great also Bonz. On this subject of listening video I could beat you anytime using just my Samsung.

It just can't work. I have had friends make a conclusion based on their phone listen, if I knew they heard on a phone I asked them to go back and check on headphones, then they changed their conclusion. So yes you will be making conclusions based on your Samsung, the question is do you agree with your own self when you listen to it on headphones

I listen to all linked recordings on headphones, connected to my phone or PC. Unsurprisingly, the better the headphones, the better the differentiation between recordings.

I think listening through decent headphones is a must to get a sense of the sound of the recording. (But we all know that it's still no substitute for being in the room in person.)

Mani.

Reactions: bonzo75
I've just tested the frequency response of the built-in speaker on my Samsung S10+, and here is it:

Samsung S10+ speaker FR.JPG

This is truly terrible performance.

Using a phone's speaker is fine for listening to a voice over a call, but no way to playback and evaluate full-spectrum recordings of music systems. I mean, you've lost everything from the lower mids down. It will be shrill and bright and nothing like the recording.

(The phone's built-in mic has far better specs than its speaker.)

Mani.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing