What do you think of this video

What do you think of this video. And this is not directed to those who think every mobile phone video is trash, thanks. Please listen to the end for the brass and the woodwinds

You mean people still use pre-amps? Odd. Perhaps they still think they need the added dynamics (and distortions) that an active gainstage provides to make their playback presentation seemingly more exhilarating rather than sterile and lifeless?

You think maybe some don't realize that added distortions can easily be mistaken for increased dynamics?
Or maybe they just “prefer” the synergy of an active pre in their system for the desired sound they enjoy..

Reactions: Argonaut
My second best You tube sound Kharma / Karan /MSB... no pre amp ?

Peters / davids sound nice too

Stehno edits andromedaaudio's quote to this, leaving out the second part:

andromedaaudio said:

Stehno then responds to the "no pre amp?" comment with this:

You mean people still use pre-amps? Odd. Perhaps they still think they need the added dynamics (and distortions) that an active gainstage provides to make their playback presentation seemingly more exhilarating rather than sterile and lifeless?

You think maybe some don't realize that added distortions can easily be mistaken for increased dynamics?

Stehno, do you conclude that Peter/David (and many others) think they need the added dynamics (and distortions) that an active gainstage provides? Your "sterile and lifeless" comment is a reference to how I described a few of the videos you posted. I have no idea whether or not you are using a preamp in those videos. Do you think that I am mistaking the distortions from my preamp, and presumably phono amp, for the increased dynamics I am hearing from my tube/horn system? On what do you base this?

Stehno edits andromedaaudio's quote to this, leaving out the second part:

andromedaaudio said:

Stehno then responds to the "no pre amp?" comment with this:
That's some pretty serious forensics work, Peter. You seem to be good on the data collection side but I'm guessing your data analysis could use some work. For example. Did you ever consider the possibility that I might not have had any interest in responding to the part about Peter/David and whoever else and that's why I left that part out?

That's actually a very common practice, you know?

Stehno, do you conclude that Peter/David (and many others) think they need the added dynamics (and distortions) that an active gainstage provides?
I've no clue what others think. Do you think you need the added dynamics (and distortions) that an active gainstage provides?

Your "sterile and lifeless" comment is a reference to how I described a few of the videos you posted.
So do you have a trademark on these terms? BTW, my hunch is you think all of my videos are sterile and lifeless. Not sure why but if I had to guess, it would be because you can't hear your listening room in my videos.

I have no idea whether or not you are using a preamp in those videos. Do you think that I am mistaking the distortions from my preamp, and presumably phono amp, for the increased dynamics I am hearing from my tube/horn system?
No idea cuz I've not the foggiest what equipment you have but I'm aware how easy it can be to confuse the effects of distortions with dynamics. Are you? Though I'm aware you recently swapped out systems but that's about it. Look, Peter, my post above had nothing to do with you. At least not individually. Maybe collectively, I dunno. But you're asking questions that with your level of expertise, you should be able to answer for yourself with confidence and without the need for a consensus.

On what do you base this?
I'm guessing one of us is developing a complex. And I'm starting to think it's me. For the record, if/when I offer a response, I most always do so based on my limited experiences and knowledge in high-end audio and life in general. In the case of my post above, I based my comment on my limited experience which includes about 15 pre-amps, a couple of passive linestages, and a passive volume attenuator. Among other things related to the passive vs active linestage argument.

Tell ya' what, Peter. From here on out, should I have anything remotely to say specifically toward you, I'll qualify my statements by including your name. Just to lessen my confusion.

Last edited:
You mean people still use pre-amps? Odd. Perhaps they still think they need the added dynamics (and distortions) that an active gainstage provides ... <snip>

I get it that not all systems work optimally with passive preamps and not every system needs more gain but this statement is missing the mark ( perhaps intentionally ).

1) A dac is an active gain stage even if it uses transformer gain on outputs and amplifiers certainly are too. Using a passive attentuator does not alleviate one from the evils of active gain...

2) Sometimes the sonic value of an active preamp is not about gain.

Please dial down the obnoxiousness and sarcasm. Thank you.

Okay a simple you tube spanish guitar this time .
Spanish guitar macbook pro /DAC , 5 euro USB cable

Ps stehno this is with pre amp

Last edited:
Reactions: Walter66
Okay a simple you tube spanish guitar this time .
Spanish guitar macbook pro /DAC , 5 euro USB cable

Ps stehno this is with pre amp

Very nice, andromeda. For somebody who doesn't seem to care much about performance (your words?) I think some-to-many of your videos are head and shoulders above many in these parts. Still would love to hear what some of your videos might sound like in a reasonable but minimally furnished room.

Here's one for ya' exhibiting perhaps 95% genuine ambient info (embedded in the recording) - straight up no pre-amp.

With the long and fascinating "Natural Sound" thread, I thought it would be interesting to me, and hopefully others, to compare (imperfectly but still revealingly), Peggy Lee's "Fever" as done on the on Peter's vintage analog Vitavox/Lamm system, David's Bionor/Lamm and my all digital Boenicke/Bakoon system.

The differences I hear between the Vintage systems and my set-up are stark.

Both the Bionors and Vitavox most notably have a profound bass with depth and weight. It's visceral and gutsy. I'm guessing this is coming not just from the speakers but the Lamm's as well. Both systems show life-like, full blooded dynamics and dimension across the frequency range.

It sounds like the Bionors would be amazing to hear in person with
their spaciousness and scale. The speakers and room size seem to be well matched. I feel like possibly the Vitavox's could use some more space. They almost seem too muscular for the somewhat petite room. I can hear the room with both systems, but much more so in the Vitavox room where I hear a pronounced echo/reverb. I know room treatment is not part of the Natural Sound ethos, but I feel the Vitavox system is demanding it. I also found the Vitavox system, outside of the bass frequencies, to sound a little stressed or rough in comparison to the very relaxed Bionors. I'm sure the Peter's nascent Vitavox system will keep evolving and improving.

Both of these remarkable vintage systems make the bass in my Boenicke/Bakoon setup sound "polite" or even anemic by comparison! The bass is less visceral and dynamic. This will improve when I get around to making a more dedicated effort at speaker placement, but don't believe will equal the dramatic bass in the Bionors and Vitavox (or my past Avantgardes).

On the plus side I do hear a clean and relaxed sound which was my intention with this system. Because I have significant room treatment (combination of absorption/diffusion) I believe I can hear deeper into the recording without the room distracting or distorting.

So, all in all, an interesting comparison for me.

Wil,

Here is one more Fever to add to the collection:

Last edited:
Wil,

Here is one more Fever to add to the collection:

Is the main difference between this instance and the previous video of your system the AS2000 replacing the Micro-Seiki? This latest seems more in control of the overall presentation.

Reactions: Solypsa
How do you guys get this sound quality that good on recordings?
Is that being done with a laptop and an external mic using the laptop camera? Or mobile phone with external mic?
I use a modern mobile phone and the sound isn't quite as good, very limited bandwith, the mic seems more for recording speech than music.
Please tell me how to improve. Thank you.

Is that being done with a laptop and an external mic using the laptop camera? Or mobile phone with external mic?
I use a modern mobile phone and the sound isn't quite as good, very limited bandwith, the mic seems more for recording speech than music.
For me, PeterA, ddk, Bonzo and Gian, we just use a mobile phone either iPhone or Samsung no external mic. Sometime with a camera holder. That is all. We try to keep it simple with variables that are known and easy for anyone to access to. We don't try to maximize the quality of sound from video playback. We only listen for character of sound that shine through. They do shine through.

Is the main difference between this instance and the previous video of your system the AS2000 replacing the Micro-Seiki? This latest seems more in control of the overall presentation.

Tim, the difference is the AS2000 and the vintage Ortofon cartridge. My last one was my former Micro Seiki table and vdH Colibrí which I thought was quite good too. This is closer to what we heard in Utah at David’s.

Reactions: tima and Solypsa

Hello Walter. Welcome to WBF. All of my videos are done with a simple iPhone 11. No Special mic, and it is simple and handheld. Volume is roughly my normal listening volume. It took me a long time to get my videos to sound like this, but it is a reflection of the improvements I’ve made to my system over the last few years.

The video technique is nothing special because I want to do something simple and easy so that I can share it with others and so that they can relate by making their own videos and sharing them too. A few of us do this gladly while others are very critical. For me it’s all in good fun.

Thank you, Peter.
I've tried with Poco F3 (Xiaomi), but won't be able to capture the energy in the room. It's like bathing in the ocean when sitting in front of the speaker, but the lower energy seems to be missing completely. Only mids and highs were recorded and that quality is not on the same level with mp4 algorithm of the phone as it is in reality.

Last edited:
Thank you, Peter.
I've tried with Poco F3 (Xiaomi), but won't be able to capture the energy in the room. It's like bathing in the ocean when sitting in front of the speaker, but the lower energy seems to be missing completely. Only mids and highs were recorded and that quality is not on the same level with mp4 algorithm of the phone as it is in reality.
I guess the unedited version mentioned the same quality as an iPhone 4. I can understand that. That would sound rather ancient compared to more recent iPhones.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing