What do you think of this video

What do you think of this video. And this is not directed to those who think every mobile phone video is trash, thanks. Please listen to the end for the brass and the woodwinds

Guys no offence but this was a video thread the OT discussion has gone too long now. Andro, can you please start a thread on your system and move relevant posts there?
You know ked , i think we will leave that up to the moderator then , feel free to contact the moderator
If the mod. thinks this discussion doesnt belong here i will remove the posts , as far as im concerned its all audio related

You know ked , i think we will leave that up to the moderator then , feel free to contact the moderator
If the mod. thinks this discussion doesnt belong here i will remove the posts , as far as im concerned its all audio related

Sorry I am the OP. I started the thread. I don't want to get the mods in, but if you want to ruin it, go ahead.

With the long and fascinating "Natural Sound" thread, I thought it would be interesting to me, and hopefully others, to compare (imperfectly but still revealingly), Peggy Lee's "Fever" as done on the on Peter's vintage analog Vitavox/Lamm system, David's Bionor/Lamm and my all digital Boenicke/Bakoon system.

The differences I hear between the Vintage systems and my set-up are stark.

Both the Bionors and Vitavox most notably have a profound bass with depth and weight. It's visceral and gutsy. I'm guessing this is coming not just from the speakers but the Lamm's as well. Both systems show life-like, full blooded dynamics and dimension across the frequency range.

It sounds like the Bionors would be amazing to hear in person with
their spaciousness and scale. The speakers and room size seem to be well matched. I feel like possibly the Vitavox's could use some more space. They almost seem too muscular for the somewhat petite room. I can hear the room with both systems, but much more so in the Vitavox room where I hear a pronounced echo/reverb. I know room treatment is not part of the Natural Sound ethos, but I feel the Vitavox system is demanding it. I also found the Vitavox system, outside of the bass frequencies, to sound a little stressed or rough in comparison to the very relaxed Bionors. I'm sure the Peter's nascent Vitavox system will keep evolving and improving.

Both of these remarkable vintage systems make the bass in my Boenicke/Bakoon setup sound "polite" or even anemic by comparison! The bass is less visceral and dynamic. This will improve when I get around to making a more dedicated effort at speaker placement, but don't believe will equal the dramatic bass in the Bionors and Vitavox (or my past Avantgardes).

On the plus side I do hear a clean and relaxed sound which was my intention with this system. Because I have significant room treatment (combination of absorption/diffusion) I believe I can hear deeper into the recording without the room distracting or distorting.

So, all in all, an interesting comparison for me.

Last edited:
I thought to start a new thread, Unnatural Sound, but didn’t want to ruffle any feathers.

Here‘s 2 YouTube videos of Peggy Lee - Fever you may want to compare with PeterA’s. I won’t say what the difference is between them but you may like to comment. I’m expecting a 50/50 split with some disliking both and preferring the Natural Sound. Feel free to say it how you here it, I’ve got thicker skin than Marc

Don't forget Blue58's two videos of Fever:

Wil thanks for posting the vids and for your diagnostics and for being so transparent about your views on your own system! Very refreshing.

For my taste, the Bionor is easily the champ. Not only does it sound most realistic, it seems to have a life and vitality that is very addictive. Very jealous, David lol.

I do agree that Peter could do with a tiny bit of taming the reverberant field but it was still in the direction of my taste / preference.

I present to you a before and after videos:

Before:

After:

This system has improved leaf and bounds since last post here with many different upgrades.

Please post your comment!!

With the long and fascinating "Natural Sound" thread, I thought it would be interesting to me, and hopefully others, to compare (imperfectly but still revealingly), Peggy Lee's "Fever" as done on the on Peter's vintage analog Vitavox/Lamm system, David's Bionor/Lamm and my all digital Boenicke/Bakoon system.

The differences I hear between the Vintage systems and my set-up are stark.

Both the Bionors and Vitavox most notably have a profound bass with depth and weight. It's visceral and gutsy. I'm guessing this is coming not just from the speakers but the Lamm's as well. Both systems show life-like, full blooded dynamics and dimension across the frequency range.

It sounds like the Bionors would be amazing to hear in person with
their spaciousness and scale. The speakers and room size seem to be well matched. I feel like possibly the Vitavox's could use some more space. They almost seem too muscular for the somewhat petite room. I can hear the room with both systems, but much more so in the Vitavox room where I hear a pronounced echo/reverb. I know room treatment is not part of the Natural Sound ethos, but I feel the Vitavox system is demanding it. I also found the Vitavox system, outside of the bass frequencies, to sound a little stressed or rough in comparison to the very relaxed Bionors. I'm sure the Peter's nascent Vitavox system will keep evolving and improving.

Both of these remarkable vintage systems make the bass in my Boenicke/Bakoon setup sound "polite" or even anemic by comparison! The bass is less visceral and dynamic. This will improve when I get around to making a more dedicated effort at speaker placement, but don't believe will equal the dramatic bass in the Bionors and Vitavox (or my past Avantgardes).

On the plus side I do hear a clean and relaxed sound which was my intention with this system. Because I have significant room treatment (combination of absorption/diffusion) I believe I can hear deeper into the recording without the room distracting or distorting.

So, all in all, an interesting comparison for me.

Thank you W. I have the Steve Hoffman off the master tape recording of Fever. Your system sounds like mine, with proper weight and direct sound to the instruments and Lee. The other two sound blown-out, indistinct for instruments (especially the bass) and wall to wall Lee vocal (not in the master tape or realistic). Some people like the latter sound, wider than life. Not me or my friends who include several known remastering engineers.

Reactions: Scott Naylor
My second best You tube sound Kharma / Karan /MSB... no pre amp ?

You mean people still use pre-amps? Odd. Perhaps they still think they need the added dynamics (and distortions) that an active gainstage provides to make their playback presentation seemingly more exhilarating rather than sterile and lifeless?

You think maybe some don't realize that added distortions can easily be mistaken for increased dynamics?

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

You mean people still use pre-amps? Odd. Perhaps they still think they need the added dynamics (and distortions) that an active gainstage provides to make their playback presentation seemingly more exhilarating rather than sterile and lifeless?

You think maybe some don't realize that added distortions can easily be mistaken for increased dynamics?
Great clip and music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing