What do you think of this video

What do you think of this video. And this is not directed to those who think every mobile phone video is trash, thanks. Please listen to the end for the brass and the woodwinds

Kronos, top Graham, koetsu blue lace into CH phono. Michael Rabin. Koetsu sounding very good. Stereo repress

Not sure of the purpose for posting this system when the sound is so hifi, homogenized and flat. The violin sounds like someone is sawing wood, two notes only. Everything is off or missing starting with tone and timbre! Accent, cadence, interval and melody nonexistent, this is Rabin playing! And pitch, what pitch? You only hear the tampons!

You asked "What do you think of this video" :)!

david

Reactions: Hieukm
Scheherazde for everyone
Now with a more complex music it reveals.I think the mix of cables and bass traps enhance the center tone (making it very articulate, more piercing) and dynamic too much it loses tonal variation. The system is throwing everything at the listener...dynamic dynamic dynamic. In a system with good tonal variation and dynamic variation, within group of instrument, for example this Scheherazade, when the blast of brasses comes, those brasses don't play exactly the same key, although they are the same instrument one or two of the players blast it with a slight different note. You should be able to hear one brass sort of leading out the other making a very interesting variation. Less variation and contrast mean more homogeneity. I still like this SS/box speaker system a lot. The system can be tuned to my preference.

Last edited:
To really know if it is the mix of bass traps and cables doing some negative effect we have to listen without it. In that room many things are happening because of the room itself. And this is streaming via qobuz not an LP.

Right now there is evidence of only one track with 6, 10, 12 traps and it was quite clear what the effect via video was, so let's not get golden eared beyond the data we have

Reactions: gian60
To really know if it is the mix of bass traps and cables doing some negative effect we have to listen without it. In that room many things are happening because of the room itself. And this is streaming via qobuz not an LP
You are no wrong. It was just my speculation. If you run out of things to explore on audio electronic, maybe you want to explore more cables. I played a lot with that in the past Ansuz and Odin included. You might diagnos a system including the cable in the future.

With my Logans, I tried the top audioquest K2, zensati, top kubala, virtual dynamics, high fidelity, medium model of crystal, audience, synergistic, and at another place compared audience to Odin to Ansuz. The speaker cable that impressed me most at a friend's was the top model of crystal. Also tried some other brands and power cables of Tara vs Siltech etc. My interest in cables has waned though if I had a Magico Wilson cone type system I think they are necessary

The K2 does have some funny reviews on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-terminated-speaker-cable/product-reviews/B000J36XR2/

To really know if it is the mix of bass traps and cables doing some negative effect we have to listen without it. In that room many things are happening because of the room itself. And this is streaming via qobuz not an LP.

Right now there is evidence of only one track with 6, 10, 12 traps and it was quite clear what the effect via video was, so let's not get golden eared beyond the data we have
Don’t need golden ears the tampons, the cables and some of the components are very well known commodities no mystery regarding the sound here or what’s doing what in the videos.
david

This system has always lacked tone before the introduction of WB speakers, tube trap hence i advocated it because of the CH DAC. But the analog seems to improve on tones but not up to par with the tube ultimates. So it could be the cables: Ansuz, Nordost, Audioquest or Transparent are what i would call technical cables which prize them selves in similar fasion: dynamics, extreme frequency and noise floor. If he have chosen a different path of what i would call musical cables of brands like Argento, Skogrand, Dalby then maybe the tone would have improved but maybe in expense of other current WOW factors like dynamics.

I am surprised to hear that even someone who presumably has so much exposure to real life violin playing like Brad did not immediaetly realised the tone of violin was lacking. Indeed golden ears are required in audio industry after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill
I thought I'd put this up as a comparison to the other Wilson Benesch system given it's the same amplification. Bear in mind the Eminence speakers in the other video are about 3x the price of the Resolutions here.
To me, you can tell the system has much more space to breathe which gives more flow to the music, which I find much more preferable. There is less clarity though, which I put down to DAC (CH vs Lampi), speakers, near-field vs far-field listening, and the vagaries of recording with a phone, but notwithstanding this, I thought it interesting.

Music starts about 10 sec in btw.

Hi Heihei,

Thanks for sharing this. This is a more realistic presentation and natural. Tonally it is superior to the other WB system. Looking at the gear, I think Hieukm might well be correct about the CH causing some synthetics in the other vid - here your Lampi seems to have removed the plastic violin.

Perhaps record at higher level / more gain.

Best.

Kronos, top Graham, koetsu blue lace into CH phono. Michael Rabin. Koetsu sounding very good. Stereo repress

The tone is still very synthetic to me now with the analogue front end.

I would definitely expect it is the Odin cables. Would love to hear this system just with bog standard home made Duelands just to see tonally how it changes.

The tone is still very synthetic to me now with the analogue front end.

I would definitely expect it is the Odin cables. Would love to hear this system just with bog standard home made Duelands just to see tonally how it changes.

It's a mix of audioquest, nordost, Ansuz, transparent

This system has always lacked tone before the introduction of WB speakers, tube trap hence i advocated it because of the CH DAC. But the analog seems to improve on tones but not up to par with the tube ultimates. So it could be the cables: Ansuz, Nordost, Audioquest or Transparent are what i would call technical cables which prize them selves in similar fasion: dynamics, extreme frequency and noise floor. If he have chosen a different path of what i would call musical cables of brands like Argento, Skogrand, Dalby then maybe the tone would have improved but maybe in expense of other current WOW factors like dynamics.

I am surprised to hear that even someone who presumably has so much exposure to real life violin playing like Brad did not immediaetly realised the tone of violin was lacking. Indeed golden ears are required in audio industry after all.

Hi Hieukm,

See my other post but again I have written violin tone sounding synthetic and I am sure is the Nordost. The Kronos whilst marginally better is synthetic hence my conclusion.

Hi Heihei,

Thanks for sharing this. This is a more realistic presentation and natural. Tonally it is superior to the other WB system. Looking at the gear, I think Hieukm might well be correct about the CH causing some synthetics in the other vid - here your Lampi seems to have removed the plastic violin.

Perhaps record at higher level / more gain.

Best.

He should repeat that after he gets the Pac 242 because imo the GG2 was not doing as good a match with the audionet gear.

That might explain it! Ansuz are similar synthetic to Nordost. Transparent are pissing with the signal in the networks. Audioquest normally sound relatively okay actually.

Ansuz are different sounding from Odin. Synthetic or not we can discuss cables endlessly. If someone is expecting Mayer AER tone that's not going to happen. These systems do realism differently. They do it by gain, drive, nuance, dynamic range, stage, etc.

Ansuz are different sounding from Odin. Synthetic or not we can discuss cables endlessly. If someone is expecting Mayer AER tone that's not going to happen. These systems do realism differently. They do it by gain, drive, nuance, dynamic range, stage, etc.

Have heard the Ansuz a bit and equally fake sounding as Nordost albeit a different fake.
There isn’t realism to me if tonally it sounds like that.

Reactions: Hieukm
Ked - what cable is Heihei using? I think the Lampi is helping the tone a lot.

I don't know. I still get goose bumps when I think of the sound I heard with the Pac 242 through audionet at his place. But really, it is not competing on tone, nor does it intend to, with originals played into Mayer AER. Yet, the nuance, inflection, dynamic range, grip and change from note to note was far higher than I heard anywhere

Reactions: heihei

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing