What ethernet cables are members using?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Currently using two E cables. Shunyata Venom and the Alpha. The Omega should hit within the week. These will be in use with an upgraded modem (Netgear Nighthawk Muti-gig CM2000) and a mesh network that is NOT hardwired from the mother to the satellite (Netgear Nighthawk Tri-band Mesh (MK83) AX3600 Router).

The list of components that should arrive today are;

1673115861037.png

The EtherREGAN and LPS#2 has already hit and I believe I have everything I need to set the system up correctly and do a couple of different configurations, extracting the best possible sound out of all of it. This will be feeding an Auralic Vega G2 NAP. Currently only using the modem, router, Shuyata Venom and Alpha E cables. The change in everything was so significant that I had to really explore more extraction/cleaning of the signal.

We'll see. Time to have some fun!

Tom

Reactions: Pokey77

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
How good are the Paul Pang Platinum lan cables? Did you compare them to other high end cables?
Yes to Mad Scientist and Pink Faun.
Pink Faun smokes them all by a wide margin.
Should get the Vertere Pulse HB on loan soon.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Reactions: Stef

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Melco Audio the maker of switches and streamers have Ethernet cables and I am surprised no one mentions them considering the popularity of their other products.

Their Ethernet cables are on the cheaper pricing range so that probably why. The new Melco C100 has a floating shield on the audio end connector, so the drain only flows one way.
Agree, The Melco Lan cables are often forgotten. For me, for the price, extremely good.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Oh excited what your impressions are on the Vertere.
I have one Pink Faun and one Vertere. I tried quite a few times of which one to have closest to the streamer. Ended up with the Vertere as the preferred one. Maybe logical as it is about double of the price of the PF.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I have one Pink Faun and one Vertere. I tried quite a few times of which one to have closest to the streamer. Ended up with the Vertere as the preferred one. Maybe logical as it is about double of the price of the PF.
Gunnar how does it sound compared to the PF ? is it much faster and open sounding ?

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Gunnar how does it sound compared to the PF ? is it much faster and open sounding ?
Good question. I had big difficulties “quantifying“ the difference but each time I switched back to Vertere I felt it was better. Closet I came was “a little bit better all over” .

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Good question. I had big difficulties “quantifying“ the difference but each time I switched back to Vertere I felt it was better. Closet I came was “a little bit better all over” .
Ok so i guess difficult to justify the price difference, PF is much better value.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Ok so i guess difficult to justify the price difference, PF is much better value.
Yes but …. Best is to never listen to something too expensive. Always difficult to go back.

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
I lived with a few digital cables from various makers (all good.!) and then moved to the Shunyata Omega's, due to very positive feedback and reports I received from various users I trust here on WBF. With 3 Innuos boxes (PhoenixNET > Zenith Mk 3 > PhoenixUSB > DAC), my system requires 3 digital cables. I started with one Omega USB (feeding into my DAC), and realized it was what my system needed. I then went upstream with additions of another Omega USB (feeding the PhoenixUSB) and further upstream with an Omega Ethernet cable (feeding the Zenith Mk 3). All in all, these 3 have really uplifted my system to new heights.

I mention this context (background) to convey that the Omega Ethernet was really a game-changer for me is several subtle but very important ways. It really allowed my system to breath a new life, and really bring me closer to the music. In closing, I would add that I feel the Omega Ethernet cable is an essential cable for my playback system. As they say, everything matters and YMMV.

Re-tread

Last edited:

crion

Oct 29, 2014
I use optical OM4 cable for ethernet duty where I can. Been using Furutech, AQ Vodka/Diamond for finer duties where RJ45 is the only option.
I've used Shunyata Omega ethernet extensively for AES/EBU duties riding ethernet cable in my Meridian based system. Waiting for my first Omega Ethernet to use for TCP/IP from B-side EtherRegen to a Meridian 210 streamer. :D

Rareace

Feb 3, 2021
Vertere HB is a very special cable. Nothing stands out initially but I quickly realized it’s the most analog, natural sounding cable. Music just flows so beautifully.

Reactions: jasond

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
All in all, these 3 have really uplifted my system to new heights. <snip> the Omega Ethernet was really a game-changer for me is several subtle but very important ways. It really allowed my system to breath a new life, and really bring me closer to the music. <snip>

I started with the Venom and the Alpha. The changes (just as you described) led me to purchase the Omega. The reason I am responding to you is what what is quoted above? I can relate too on a level that most readers may not ever understand....unless they hear it.

It is very subtle but it is subtle in the most important of ways and it really does bring you closer to the music.

Tom

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
It is very subtle but it is subtle in the most important of ways and it really does bring you closer to the music
The CMode filters really have a positive impact on Shunyata’s digital cables. A noise floor reduction was apparent to me when moving from the Delta v2 to the Sigma v2 clock cables. It appeared to me that the only difference was the addition of two CMode filters on the Sigma.

The Omega combines the CMode with their TAP. This really does take things to the next level in terms of transparency.

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
fis Audio Ultraclean Linear Ethernet Cable

The special feature is the integrated network isolator with a specially developed board layout. In addition, the shielding can be interrupted via two ends. It also measures well: https://www.open-end-music.com/foru...an-ethernet-infrastruktur?p=683823#post683823

About transparency: fis Audio is my business partner but I have no financial interests as it is sold directly to customers.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
I am using a one-meter WireWorld Platinum 8 from the modem to my etherRegen. Then fiber from the etherRegen to my Lumin X1.
I NEVER thought an ethernet cable for such a short run could make a difference, but it really does!

ozzy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing