What is a reviewer?

Perhaps the answer regarding what makes a good reviewer is that the reviewer agrees with me :)

Meaning, if you purchased a piece of equipment and the reviewer hears it like you do, then you might follow his reviews later. I found that with Hans Beekhuyzen. After I had the Grimm MU1 streamer for a while, a friend sent me his review of the MU1 (I had no idea who he was). Spot on, I thought. Later, he reviewed and purchased the Grimm MU2 (streamer/DAC). Time for an in-home demo, I thought. That worked out well, as did his recommendations for footers and a passive ethernet filter for the Grimm equipment.

I also enjoy many of the hobbyist comments here and on AS. Folks are experimenting and it is interesting to read how they find their way (just as I do -- a continuing process). Of course, we are all listening to a system and those systems are vastly different, therefore it is sensible that one cannot easily generalize. The best reviews are the ones that discuss trade-offs and recognize the difficulties encountered.

Reactions: Another Johnson
After Five years (2002->2007) I convinced there is no good audio magazine in this industry :

You can also ask David @ddk about it, he has lots of experience in audio.

All this chit chat about what. Not a single person has touched on what is the intent of the outlet the reviewer published the piece on. Maybe the surface has superficially been touched on. But no one has directly confronted the subject.of what TAS, Stereophile, Youtube etc are getting from the content posted on it. That is the ultimate determinant of what a review is all about. Its not about what Tima or Jays Audiolab post.

Reactions: bonzo75
After Five years (2002->2007) I convinced there is no good audio magazine in this industry :

You can also ask David @ddk about it, he has lots of experience in audio.

Stick with the ones who measure , you get both subjective and objective point of views ...!

i see zero concern. nothing nefarious. just a guy who reviewed gear, liked it, and never looked back.

a 9 year old review,

Well … the forum search engine only goes back shy of four years … Do we see other magazine reviewers reflecting such a prodigious post history incessantly mentioning one particular manufacturers products that that have reviewed , in the past , on WBF or on other forna ?

I merely view the facts through a somewhat less opaque lens than you !

Last edited:
What is a reviewer? Qualifications? Purpose? responsibilities? are they critics? reporters? journalists? marketers? cheerleaders? influencers?
What should there place in the Industry be and how do we get there?
Limits? rules?
What are your opinions?

I read in so many threads comments about all the "reviewers" maybe a place to actually discuss it will be useful

I touched on this topic by starting this thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/how-to-write-a-great-review.38253/

In my opinion, fellow member here, Tima, wrote an excellent review of a cartridge. Link: https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/aidas-mammoth-cartridge/

Well … the forum search engine only goes back shy of four years … Do we see other magazine reviewers reflecting such a prodigious post history incessantly mentioning one particular manufacturers products that that have reviewed , in the past , on WBF or on other forna ?

I merely view the facts through a somewhat less opaque lens than you !
i think you are barking up the wrong tree. Tim is not pulling any wool over anyone's eyes. and that's the point......is there anything that might be not truthful or lead to the wrong impression? i say no.

i don't always agree with his particular slant on things, and i'm not personally aligned with him as such. but he is a straight shooter and serious contributor to the hobby who has done many helpful things.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu