What is "Pin-Point Imaging" to you?

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I find this thread a bit strange as all you need to do is optimize your imaging focus to taste using readily available test set-up CD's and DVD's. Once you are done you quickly realize that recordings are all over the block and not in anyway consistent WRT imaging.

Rob :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I find this thread a bit strange as all you need to do is optimize your imaging focus to taste using readily available test set-up CD's and DVD's. Once you are done you quickly realize that recordings are all over the block and not in anyway consistent WRT imaging.

Rob :)

This is a F A C T.

noun

1. a thing that is known or proved to be true.
- used in discussing the significance of something that is the case.

- a piece of information used as evidence or as part of a report or news article.

Reactions: Robh3606

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
.. a number of voices of same proportion and very similar and nearly indistinguishable tone and timbre aside from gender. Loudness is also the same for all voices and instruments if any. Literally its a collection of pinpoints without much crossover of voices and sound as there would be in a real life.

This goes to different group of instrument and the instrument within the group Itself in orchestra too. It took me two years to really understand the term homogeneity. I read it. I thought I understood it. But what I thought understood was just the surface. Only when I heard more and more degree of contrast and differentiation starting from the introduction of AS2000, then stripping off sound enhancing gear one by one, I began to realize I was only at a bachelor level. You may think you have an un-homogenize sound. Wait until you hear the very very un-homogenous high resolution system and you will know the exact direction how you want to improve your system further. It could even give back cash instead of pouring more in too. What ddk said above are allover in so many systems because we have been trending with hi-fi reviews and articles. Saying it is just going against the mainstream and create annoyance and accusation of supremacy. But hopefully some people can at least accept it as an alternative approach (while the advocates believe should be the main approach of course.) so that not all of us would head ourself totally along the commercial stream.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) But hopefully some people can at least accept it as an alternative approach (while the advocates believe should be the main approach of course.) so that not all of us would head ourself totally along the commercial stream.

Surely it is an alternative approach - and as valid as any other in stereo. I have tried it, as I own all the components. My disagreement was never with your description of your approach, but with the misrepresenting of the others and the semantics. BTW, these are the F. Toole words on the subject: ;)

"In the two-channel world, therefore, the artists could not anticipate precisely how their performances would sound in homes. It was left to the end user to create something pleasant. Stereo, therefore, is not an encode/decode system, but a basis for individual experimentation. The fact that both audiophiles and the audio industry have thrived in spite of this situation is a tribute to the power of human adaptation. Given time, we can come to believe that many different variations on the truth are apparently equally entertaining"

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I do like DDK definition on this issue, as it gels with my experience
as my imaging of individual instruments has improved the graduation of timbre between instruments has improved commensurately and various micro details of expression
different brass and woodwind can challenge systems as well as viola and cello at times
my system is quite large and as timbres have improved the size and scale of images have fleshed out , and gained dimensionality and size, this surprised and delighted me though I am not sure it’s not an artefact but to me an enjoyable one, it’s not consistent with concert going unless your very close, but my understanding is most orchestras have miking not far away so it is an ‘unnatural‘ presentation
stereolabs notes on miking
http://www.pspatialaudio.com/microphone technique.htm

Attachments

• 80CDB37F-C7C3-456E-86B2-C69157609E9C.png
    80CDB37F-C7C3-456E-86B2-C69157609E9C.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: Al M.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
And time to get a better phono pre too lol.

I don't think pin point accuracy means that much to me . I am more about a wide and deep sound stage. An enveloping sound stage.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Good morning ladies and gentlemen of the WBF. In another thread, there has been a discombobulated discussion with what exactly this means to listeners. The comments suggested that this term, with regards to hi-fi reproduction, needs a little bit more clarity with what it actually means. This thread is an attempt to further clarify what it means and "hopefully" we can all come to a general consensus as to what it means for most of us when we use the term. At the very least, it may shed some light into the way this term is perceived.

For some? It's a bad term thought of in negative light. For others? It's a positive that adds to the listening experience.

What say you?

Tom

Why Recorded Music Sounds Too Aggressive pg 1.jpg
Why Recorded Music Sounds Too Aggressive pg 2.jpg Why Recorded Music Sounds Too Aggressive pg 3.jpg Why Recorded Music Sounds Too Aggressive pg 4.jpg Why Recorded Music Sounds Too Aggressive pg 5.jpg Why Recorded Music Sounds Too Aggressive pg 6.jpg

This article passed my way about 10 years ago and appears to be no longer available on the internet. I've not read it in 10 years but I just skimmed a few pages. I think you'll find the answer to your question about pin-point imaging in here. As well as a few answers to questions perhaps not yet asked. Seems to be an insightful article.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
View attachment 69613
View attachment 69614 View attachment 69615 View attachment 69616 View attachment 69617 View attachment 69618

This article passed my way about 10 years ago and appears to be no longer available on the internet. I've not read it in 10 years but I just skimmed a few pages. I think you'll find the answer to your question about pin-point imaging in here. As well as a few answers to questions perhaps not yet asked. Seems to be an insightful article.
I must give a bow to you guys. You people are in this hobby like doing a phd. You guys teach me a lot the objectivity nature of western culture. Make me think there is always a lot more to it than selling fertilizer chicken dung in life. :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
View attachment 69613
View attachment 69614 View attachment 69615 View attachment 69616 View attachment 69617 View attachment 69618

Thanks for posting, the rationale behind modern instruments being voiced bright is something I had not considered... combined with the close-mic'ed recording techniques it explains a lot.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing