What is the most musical, fast and accurate subwoofer you have heard?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
How does the Celestion 6000's bass section compare to SL600 given the unconventional shape?
I am pretty sure the Celestion was a 1" tweeter with 6" driver. Sealed box using a lightweight aerolam material that was superlightweight and had apparently exceptionally low vibrational characteristics.

Here is the photo where you can see the SL600si on top and the 6000 12" dipole bass driver section underneath. The way it was designed is the SL600s were standalone stand-mounted speakers. And then you could buy the 6000 subs later with the accompanying crossover...and then you can just see in the left-hand image a vertical 'post' coming up from inbetween the 2 dipole cones...and that was essentially a speaker stand on which you put the SL600si. Hope that makes sense.

Had I been able to afford it when it came out, i absolutely would have. At the time, I could barely buy the SL6si for a steep 40% discount for a demo pair from an audio dealer who I think frankly was being nice to help out a young audiophile who had been saving his pennies from his first job out of college...

celestion SL6000.jpg

...of course I also could not afford the Apogee Stages (deeply discounted 2nd hand) either...I wonder which I would have bought between the 2? Tough one. The Celestion 6000 would probably have been the more complete set...but I wonder if long-term the Apogee Stages might have gone the distance further by adding a sub to them later...including possibly the 6000 series which I remember reading Martin Colloms felt COULD keep up with panels in his review.

To be fair, in a second system (or frankly a great PRIMARY system)...this would be a great one to have...in fact, I think our own venerable DDK owns a pair if I am not mistaken??

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thanks a lot for sharing. I think most of us experienced similar dilemmas on our first jobs out of college. I really like hearing that kind of stories.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks a lot for sharing. I think most of us experienced similar dilemmas on our first jobs out of college. I really like hearing that kind of stories.
Absolutely...again, I am pretty sure DDK here has the full Celestion 6000 series in his collection. As for the SL6si...i bought them for $600, and they retailed for just over $1050 as I recall. What a great deal and great speaker...I kept them and traded them in for demo Guarneris 12 years later.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I owned a Bagend Infasub 18” for several years. it had a linear PS and was class AB amp.. The woofer barely moved and was extremely fast but not too hard sounding.. I bought full tower speakers and then used it in HT for awhile... then let it go.. which was a mistake..

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Thank you both! Yes, I have looked at the Statement E2 subtowers...very large unfortunately. Beautiful I bet. Same goes for big horn subs! So trying to learn which of the smaller subs (think 2' x 2' x 2' each and a pair of them, possibly 3' tall at most). People have mentioned the gargantually expensive and heavy Magico QSub18, the big Seaton Subs and the Funk 18.2s, as well as some of the REL subs which can be stacked. It is a project I am taking my time on...it might be that the laws of physics are not going to bend here, and it is what it is. OTOH, if there is a solution out there, I would really like to find it.
The solution may be closer to hand than you realise;
stereo stacks of your Velodyne DD18+, with Martin from Velodyne doing your setup.
The man is an artist. Nervous, easily flustered, fairly disorganised.
But get out of his way and he's capable of producing a truly satisfying result.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I owned a Bagend Infasub 18” for several years. it had a linear PS and was class AB amp.. The woofer barely moved and was extremely fast but not too hard sounding.. I bought full tower speakers and then used it in HT for awhile... then let it go.. which was a mistake..
Hello and good evening to you, Mikem53. I have heard many a sub and this (to me) wreaks of accuracy, timing and speed with subs. The fact that they barely move but can move a waveform that can pound your core. This is one of the very reasons I have taken to the Rhythmik F25's. Hardcore accuracy, speed and precision without any additional flavor or boom (unwanted artifacts).

I feel for you on the loss of your old sub combo. I felt this for years after the release of the VMPS Larger with upgrades and a beefy amp/combo with the Velodyne SMS-1. Rhythmik does not have any 18" offerings but even at extreme levels? You can barely see the massive woofers moving. FWIW.

Tom

Reactions: Mikem53

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
stereo stacks of your Velodyne DD18+, with Martin from Velodyne doing your setup.
Thank you! Yes, when we traded in the DD18 for the new DD18+, we were getting ready to move...new space and far better listening environment. And we agreed that as part of the deal, Martin would set up the DD18+ TWICE...once in the old place and once in the new place after we had moved in. He did a great job.

The key is whether we are prepared to go for 4-6 Velodyne's stacked...more from a cubic volume perspective than a bass or cost perspective. One to watch...!

Reactions: infinitely baffled

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
On a totally separate note, I see that you are moving from Boulder 2060 to 2160...would love to hear more about your decision on that one. Did you hear the 2160? Did you hear the 3060? Did you go straight to 2160 or did you hear other amps? Thanks for any insights!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Thank you! Yes, when we traded in the DD18 for the new DD18+, we were getting ready to move...new space and far better listening environment. And we agreed that as part of the deal, Martin would set up the DD18+ TWICE...once in the old place and once in the new place after we had moved in. He did a great job.

The key is whether we are prepared to go for 4-6 Velodyne's stacked...more from a cubic volume perspective than a bass or cost perspective. One to watch...!
The major downside for going three 18's per stack, is they will block out the sun:eek:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
On a totally separate note, I see that you are moving from Boulder 2060 to 2160...would love to hear more about your decision on that one. Did you hear the 2160? Did you hear the 3060? Did you go straight to 2160 or did you hear other amps? Thanks for any insights!

My pleasure Lloyd
My 2060 had a chequered past, the nadir being when a previous owner (or owner's partner) had spilt (or poured) a drink onto it, causing an ongoing cascade of issues that Boulder tried manfully to fix. Eventually a number of major components, including the main board, were replaced with 2160- spec items.
When i got it back i noticed a significant uptick in performance, the sound quality had really taken a big step forward, so from that moment i had my sights on a 2160.

Then, on top of some remaining and persistent niggles came the cat calamity; one of my furry housemates vomited on the amp while it was powered up and i was walking the dogs. This combined with my amp's problem child status lead Boulder to make me an offer i couldn't refuse on a brand new 2160, so that they could take my 2060 out of circulation.

One day i will hear a 3060.
But possibly not until I've paid for one:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My pleasure Lloyd
My 2060 had a chequered past, the nadir being when a previous owner (or owner's partner) had spilt (or poured) a drink onto it, causing an ongoing cascade of issues that Boulder tried manfully to fix. Eventually a number of major components, including the main board, were replaced with 2160- spec items.
When i got it back i noticed a significant uptick in performance, the sound quality had really taken a big step forward, so from that moment i had my sights on a 2160.

Then, on top of some remaining and persistent niggles came the cat calamity; one of my furry housemates vomited on the amp while it was powered up and i was walking the dogs. This combined with my amp's problem child status lead Boulder to make me an offer i couldn't refuse on a brand new 2160, so that they could take my 2060 out of circulation.

What a story! So when your signature says 2160 coming 11/22, presumably that means next week! Very exciting. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
What a story! So when your signature says 2160 coming 11/22, presumably that means next week! Very exciting. Look forward to hearing how it goes.
:oops: I wish....things moving a bit more gradually....think glacial speeds.

It means November 2022. So three years' saving half of my income:eek:
I'm just about to hit the first anniversary.
So another two full years of beans on toast, holidays in the garden and holes in my shoes...

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I too have to protect my system from the 4 legged furry terrorists, I find evidence of cat litter from the landing on my speakers.. yet no scratches.. yet. I have lots of cat scratching posts, trees and entertainment for them, but they like to toy with me..
You’re a good egg .. I alway have a cat or two come Join me when the music starts.. they usually end up centering themselves between of the speakers.. They’re great company and they don’t complain about my music selections..

Reactions: infinitely baffled

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
:oops: I wish....things moving a bit more gradually....think glacial speeds.

It means November 2022. So three years' saving half of my income:eek:
I'm just about to hit the first anniversary.
So another two full years of beans on toast, holidays in the garden and holes in my shoes...

You know what you want and how to be disciplined to get it. Applause.

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Reactions: olivier

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I too have to protect my system from the 4 legged furry terrorists, I find evidence of cat litter from the landing on my speakers.. yet no scratches.. yet. I have lots of cat scratching posts, trees and entertainment for them, but they like to toy with me..
You’re a good egg .. I alway have a cat or two come Join me when the music starts.. they usually end up centering themselves between of the speakers.. They’re great company and they don’t complain about my music selections..
Congrats on your successful cat training and good strategising.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing