What pen do you use?

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Well I must be one of the very few who still does a lot of old fashioned handwriting. Because of this I am quite fussy about my pen.

I sometimes grab the Bic's which are available for free on the ward, but these little plastic sticks are too thin and I have to press too hard to make a mark. I am not a big fan of ballpoint pens in general, so I bought one of these:

AP2780_CSW_PLD.jpg

... a Lamy Swift. It has a roller ball cartridge, meaning it uses liquid ink (instead of the paste used in ballpoint pens). It feels great in the hand - thick, substantial, and nicely weighted. The liquid ink leaves a nice black mark. Unfortunately it has a few serious issues - the liquid ink runs out after 2 weeks of "average" usage for me, and refills are expensive. Worst of all, the pen does not like writing at extreme angles - if I have to make an entry in a thick book, the pen won't write at the margin of the spine. So I bought:

pelikan.800.blue.jpg

... a Pelikan M800 fountain pen. Unlike cartridge filler fountain pens, the M800 is a piston filler - meaning the entire body of the pen is used to store ink. As a result it has prodigous ink storage capacity and can write for a whole month. The nib seems to have a pretty large sample to sample variation - I tried out 5 different examples in the pen store before settling on this one, and it is a beauty. Once the pen is paid for, ink is really cheap. A $10 bottle of ink lasts me a whole year. I am really happy with this pen, BUT - if I lose it, I would have lost a $1000 pen which is rather painful. And I am paranoid about dropping it. It was very nice, but it is more a luxury item than something which should be used day to day. So I bought:

URBAN-FSILVER-BPCT-H.jpg

... a Parker Urban. Yes, this is a ball point pen, but it can use Parker's gel refill. Gel ink is in between ball point (paste) and rollerball (liquid). It produces a mark nearly as deep as rollerball, but lasts twice as long as a rollerball. Unfortunately it is prone to drying out, even more so than rollerballs and ballpoints. I just found a pack of gel refills in my drawer which were 2 years old. All were useless. And the refills cost as much as a rollerball - you can decide if $7 per refill for 4 weeks of writing is good value or not. Once you are spoilt by how cheap fountain pen ink is, having to pay so much money for refills is a bit extortionate.

I am now considering buying a cheap fountain pen, like a Lamy Swift. I have never liked the nibs on those pens, but I might have to visit a pen store to convince myself :)

Anyone else do a lot of writing?

I use different pens for different tasks.

For daily use in my office, patient records are written with a pilot ball point pen. They are everywhere in the office. After side by side testing, I found they smudge less than Bics, Papermates and store brands.

Letters are signed with my Parker Duofold Centennial Black and Pearl fountain pen or Aurora Africa fountain pen. The Parker has black ink and medium nib, the Aurora has a fine nib and blue-black ink.

Other pens, both ball point and fountain, in my collection are used for different purposes depending on my mood, venue and what may not have been used in a while to keep the ink flowing.

Last edited:
I have a Montblanc within sight on my computer table, but quite frankly, I much prefer a uni-ball gel pen. Besides, the Montblanc has a cracked barrel. They just aren't worth the effort to maintain for guys like me who tend drop them a lot.

My Meisterstuck #149 has had a cracked barrel for twenty years! Never got it fixed.

It has NEVER been dropped on a hard surface.

Falling twelve inches onto a desk or the carpeted floor around my desk is normal use.

Montblanc fountain pens are way too fragile.

My Meisterstuck #149 has had a cracked barrel for twenty years! Never got it fixed.

It has NEVER been dropped on a hard surface.

Falling twelve inches onto a desk or the carpeted floor around my desk is normal use.

Montblanc fountain pens are way too fragile.

I hear you. For what they cost, Montblanc could machine them out of Vespel or Torlon. Then, they would last forever and still look good. Even Bakelite would be better. I don't get it.

I don't know why they don't use a better material. Delrin (polyoxymethylene) would also be a very durable material to use.

They have had decades of experience with what they use, and they must know it isn't very durable.

I think they use whatever they use because they like the high repair costs they charge, but they're not getting it from me!

I don't know why they don't use a better material. Delrin (polyoxymethylene) would also be a very durable material to use.

They have had decades of experience with what they use, and they must know it isn't very durable.

I think they use whatever they use because they like the high repair costs they charge, but they're not getting it from me!

Montblanc 100% of the time

I collect them and have done such for over 30 years

I don't want to tell you how many I have ;)

I collect the Limited Edition Montblanc pens

BTW, I also have the very large Meisterstuck fountain pen which I bought in 1975 and still have. The barrel was leaking and not useable. Montblanc not only replaced the barrel but completely serviced the pen for all of $50 a few years ago

At that rate, I'll get mine fixed. The dealer in NYC told me it would be over $200 to service my pen the last time I inquired. The only problem was a leak on the back end where you rotate the knob for the ink fill.

I'd love to see your limited editions.

A Cross ballpen and a Parker 61 fountain pen.

Back in the 60's when I started my first job, my father gave me a beautiful engraved Pelikan fountain pen. It had green and black markings, goldplated trim and was fitted with a bold, broad nib which is still my preference with pens.

A few years afterwards, my pen and some trinkets from the sixties were stolen during a break-in.

Mr Bojangles

I have donated all manner of pens to the general public. Mostly subway riders.

I also have a small collection of pens, Montblancs, Montegrappa, Porsche Design and CaranDache - I love fountain pens but cumbersome as for maintenance.

Currently using this one:

Attachments

• porsche.jpg
    porsche.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 279
I also have a small collection of pens, Montblancs, Montegrappa, Porsche Design and CaranDache - I love fountain pens but cumbersome as for maintenance.

Currently using this one:

It looks like a fountain pen made from an interconnect ;)

I can relate an experience with CaranDache - OT if I may as it was with a CaranDache cigarette lighter.

At the time, I was a watch importer and distributor when I received a strange telephone call. The voice asked me "Do you smoke?" and at the time I did. The next question was " What lighter do you use?" and I replied that I used a Dunhill.

The voice informed me that two officers from the SADF (South African Defence Force) would be visiting my office in about 30mins.

About half hour later, an army colonel and a captain arrived in a large black limousine, handing me a heavy, solid gold CaranDache cigarette lighter. The lighter was locked open and all the gas had evaporated.

The two guys informed me the lighter was the property of the Chief of the South African Defence force. He had left his CaranDache on his desk when office personnel had messed with it, causing the state it was in.

They wanted me to repair the lighter within 1 hour as the general was supposed to be back in is office in this time.

With shaking hands, I inspected the lighter and saw it worked more or less similarly to my Dunhill.

I can't remember exactly what I did first but suddenly, a small spring flew out from the thing and disappeared somewhere in my office.

This event had the captain, the colonel and myself crawling around on all fours on my carpeted office floor, looking for the spring.

After a few minutes which felt like a few hours, I found the spring which had attached itself to a curtain.

Anyway, after this mishap, I reassembled the lighter and filled it with butane and the two officers apparently just made it back to their chief's office in time.

Later that day, I received another call from the colonel. They wanted to pay me for the service I provided - any reasonable amount I wanted. I told them not to bother.

Mr Bojangles

I love that story Mr. B!! :)

Steve I still write with a fountain pen. Might not be suitable for writing notes on a ward round but I use it in my office. I have one of these:

Omas1997-44.jpg

... an Omas Arco Celluloid. That's in addition to the Pelikan M800 and a number of other pens.

It looks like a fountain pen made from an interconnect ;)

it does!

Actually it is the only fountain pen that survived my ever-evolving collection (Porsche design - Faber Castell factory) , had it at the shop for two months for a full service - runs nicely.

I also mix my own ink to get both a greenish ink or a cocoa colour - problem is that banks here are not receiving my checks if not written in black, and carbon-copy forms do not work well with fountain pens either :(

I only use Montblanc ink.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing