What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

Another one is based on Verdier La Platine in Steve Dobbins plinth and two tonearm boards

Very nice! But is it basically a modified La Platine with a different plinth? So they hide the La Platine’s magnetic floating assembly below the surface of the plinth ?

I am considering getting a custom plinth for my La Platine, so any information would be appreciated

Thanks

Very nice! But is it basically a modified La Platine with a different plinth? So they hide the La Platine’s magnetic floating assembly below the surface of the plinth ?

I am considering getting a custom plinth for my La Platine, so any information would be appreciated

Thanks
That is exactly correct. essentially the original La Platine “plinth” is just a support for the magnet assembly. Dobbins’s plinth is made of five different materials and is very heavy and inert.
It sits on Nordost Sort Fut

Reactions: thekong
That is exactly correct. essentially the original La Platine “plinth” is just a support for the magnet assembly. Dobbins’s plinth is made of five different materials and is very heavy and inert.

Thank you for the reply!

Reactions: Petrat

This is the part I would like to hear @mtemur ’s comment on as he knows a lot about the Platine having gone through many and owning it

Reactions: mtemur
This is the part I would like to hear @mtemur ’s comment on as he knows a lot about the Platine having gone through many and owning it

I haven’t personally heard the Dobbins plinth, so I can’t comment on its performance, but it certainly looks promising.

The standard plinth on the Verdier turntable is made of HDF, which is a bit denser than MDF, and it’s reinforced by three steel plates. HDF is quite inert due to its high glue content, meaning it doesn’t resonate at specific frequencies like wood, but overall, it’s not an outstanding plinth. It works, but not exceptionally. The steel plates, however, significantly improve the HDF’s performance. They’re welded, painted, and when I tap the base, it’s dead silent. There’s also an elastomer layer between the steel and HDF for additional isolation.

The base includes three spring-elastomer-metal feet, which need to be carefully aligned to ensure they only contact the plinth through the elastomer layer. This setup is effective, but in my experience, plinths made from stiffer, harder materials like metal—especially when properly damped—deliver much better results.

If you’re thinking of upgrading your Verdier plinth, it’s also worth considering finding new springs for the feet or an alternative solution to accommodate any change in weight cause springs are tuned to original plinth. Keeping this in mind older stone based Verdier makes sense cause it has a lot of glue. Slate is also worth considering, though it’s notoriously difficult to work with since it breaks so easily.

Personally, I’m not planning to replace the plinth on my Verdier turntable at the moment. There are just too many variables to consider. Instead, I’m focusing on upgrading to an Artesania stand for all my equipment, which seems like a more practical improvement for now.

This is the rig we use to listen to mastering clients' test records (a surprising number don't have access to one) - and for my personal listening pleasure.

Nottingham Analogue Dais, (in pic) OL Illustrious, Dynavector DRTXV1S. The OL arm has just been upgraded to the Conqueror. This pic is to remind me of the as-was. Phono stage is the Soulution 520

View attachment 133456
Hi, did you try any other tonearms before settling on an OL arm?

This is the rig we use to listen to mastering clients' test records (a surprising number don't have access to one) - and for my personal listening pleasure.

Nottingham Analogue Dais, (in pic) OL Illustrious, Dynavector DRTXV1S. The OL arm has just been upgraded to the Conqueror. This pic is to remind me of the as-was. Phono stage is the Soulution 520

View attachment 133456

Nice what speakers and amps are you using?

I haven’t personally heard the Dobbins plinth, so I can’t comment on its performance, but it certainly looks promising.

The standard plinth on the Verdier turntable is made of HDF, which is a bit denser than MDF, and it’s reinforced by three steel plates. HDF is quite inert due to its high glue content, meaning it doesn’t resonate at specific frequencies like wood, but overall, it’s not an outstanding plinth. It works, but not exceptionally. The steel plates, however, significantly improve the HDF’s performance. They’re welded, painted, and when I tap the base, it’s dead silent. There’s also an elastomer layer between the steel and HDF for additional isolation.

The base includes three spring-elastomer-metal feet, which need to be carefully aligned to ensure they only contact the plinth through the elastomer layer. This setup is effective, but in my experience, plinths made from stiffer, harder materials like metal—especially when properly damped—deliver much better results.

If you’re thinking of upgrading your Verdier plinth, it’s also worth considering finding new springs for the feet or an alternative solution to accommodate any change in weight cause springs are tuned to original plinth. Keeping this in mind older stone based Verdier makes sense cause it has a lot of glue. Slate is also worth considering, though it’s notoriously difficult to work with since it breaks so easily.

Personally, I’m not planning to replace the plinth on my Verdier turntable at the moment. There are just too many variables to consider. Instead, I’m focusing on upgrading to an Artesania stand for all my equipment, which seems like a more practical improvement for now.

Hi mtemur,

I have a couple of questions for you regarding the La Platine. I read that the Callas modification kit for the La Platine offered a tighter tolerance bearing. I also understand that you have done a lot of W&F measurements on highend TTs and found the La Platine already had one of the best measurements among them.

While the Callas kit has been discontinued, I wonder if a tighter tolerance bearing is something worth pursuing! Would its benefit show up on W&F figures, or somewhere else?

As for the plinth, I am contemplating on one with two layers of aluminium and brass and with an elastomer layer in between. Do you have any advice?

Thanks !

Reactions: mtemur and Petrat
I have a couple of questions for you regarding the La Platine. I read that the Callas modification kit for the La Platine offered a tighter tolerance bearing.
Most of the Callas upgrade kit can be done as a DIY project, but in my opinion, there’s nothing particularly special about it. A friend added the Callas upgrade to his Verdier, but it didn’t impress him as much as he had hoped.

According to Eric Verdier, the shaft diameter was changed in 2011 from 19.99mm to 20.01mm due to an update in the manufacturing process of the zamac bearing. My Verdier is a 2011 model, while my friend’s is from 2010. We ordered the new shaft and replaced the old one on his turntable. After some break-in time, the sound noticeably improved with the new shaft. There have been steady design improvements since the Verdier was first introduced in 1979.

I also understand that you have done a lot of W&F measurements on highend TTs and found the La Platine already had one of the best measurements among them.
Yes, the Verdier measures among the best. The key feature is the control-free DC motor. It doesn’t use an encoder or speed correction circuit—just a transformer, 5V regulator, and a capacitor. This allows the motor to run smoothly without constant interruptions from a control circuit. The downside is that you have to manually fine-tune the speed as the bearing heats up. I usually set the speed at the start of a listening session, and after 4 hours, it only drifts to 33.37 RPM. While this small change is imperceptible, constantly adjusting speed through a control circuit can increase wow and flutter, which becomes noticeable.

Other factors critical for minimizing wow and flutter include a balanced, high-mass platter (ideally magnetic or air-lifted), a bearing with tight tolerances, and lubricating oil with enough viscosity to create sufficient brake force or load on the motor. In addition to that for the Verdier, one of the most crucial things is properly centering the magnets inside their housings and centering the lower magnetic assembly with the bearing assembly.

As for the plinth, I am contemplating on one with two layers of aluminium and brass and with an elastomer layer in between. Do you have any advice?
There’s definitely a lot of trial and error involved with that process, but I’ve kept mine original, so I can’t say anything for certain. A friend of mine used a Kondo stone base, originally made for the Ginga, under his Verdier, and it turned out to be a great combination. Instead of replacing the plinth, I’d recommend adding a solid stand for better results.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hi mtemur,

Thank you for the detailed reply, really appreciated it! I didn’t know about the spindle change started in 2011! Since I got my La Platine second hand, I have to check with Eric about the year it was made, and get the new spindle if necessary! Thank you again for this information!

Hi mtemur,

Thank you for the detailed reply, really appreciated it! I didn’t know about the spindle change started in 2011! Since I got my La Platine second hand, I have to check with Eric about the year it was made, and get the new spindle if necessary! Thank you again for this information!
I believe Eric Verdier has officially announced a permanent closure of the company a few months ago

I believe Eric Verdier has officially announced a permanent closure of the company a few months ago

Thank you for the information! Really sad news if it’s true! I have just checked their website but no announcement there yet, so I will try my luck to email him!

Thank you for the information! Really sad news if it’s true! I have just checked their website but no announcement there yet, so I will try my luck to email him!
Please let us know if you got a response

Please let us know if you got a response

Sad news, I have received the following automatic reply, originally in French, but google translated into English here:

This is an automatic message sent to you by Eric Verdier.
Dear Sir,
> The Verdier laboratories are permanently closed following the death of
> the owner-operator Mrs. Michelle Verdier, which occurred on December 20, 2023.
> I am not currently able to respond to requests for parts
> or repairs.
> Very cordially,
> Eric Verdier

• Sad
Sad news, I have received the following automatic reply, originally in French, but google translated into English here:

This is an automatic message sent to you by Eric Verdier.
Dear Sir,
> The Verdier laboratories are permanently closed following the death of
> the owner-operator Mrs. Michelle Verdier, which occurred on December 20, 2023.
> I am not currently able to respond to requests for parts
> or repairs.
> Very cordially,
> Eric Verdier
Exactly, i got the same a few months back when i was trying to buy a spare motor from Eric.
They must have a stock of spare parts left i assume.

Exactly, i got the same a few months back when i was trying to buy a spare motor from Eric.
They must have a stock of spare parts left i assume.

Well, let’s see if he returns my message later! I’ll also try to contact their local dealer to see if I can get the spindle through them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu