What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
TechDAS AF1 PREMIUM with GRAHAM ELITE TITANIUM TONEARM , AIR TIGHT OPUS-1 Cartridge, TechDAS Ultimate Disc stabilizer :):):)

Attachments

• IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 563
Reactions: harleyguy

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
IMG_6968.JPG

IMG_6969.jpg

IMG_6970.jpg

IMG_6971.jpg

IMG_6972.jpg

my big and heavy ( 50kg solid steel platter and ceramic bearing) blue giant turntable , perfectly with SME 3012R tonearm,

I love the structured sound and the deep bass lines, my preferred turntable at the moment, specially with Dereneville or J Sikora motor.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
unfortunately no Brand for the manufacturer. It started as a project (like the DDK AS project) for a group of vinyl enthusiasts,
15 were built to high manufacturing standards. Platter, Bearing and Tonearmstand are still outstanding , but current times have developed better drives,
so I exchanged the Motor (to J Sikora or Dereneville, not yet fully sure)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) so I exchanged the Motor (to J Sikora or Dereneville, not yet fully sure)

What kind of motors use these systems? Is Derenville the same manufacturer who presented a 650 keuro turnable a few years ago?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
What kind of motors use these systems? Is Derenville the same manufacturer who presented a 650 keuro turnable a few years ago?
It is the same person, according to the site their drive is based on a Papst dc motor.
david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It looks similar to the symphonic line RG6 TT, which was also made for am SME arm. Could be mistaken just going by memory

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It is the same person, according to the site their drive is based on a Papst dc motor.
david

Then they are probably using these 3 phase synchronous motors - surely discarding the Papst electronics or ordering just the 3 phase motor.
https://idt.ebmpapst.com/de/en/idt/products/motors/brushless-external-rotor-motors.html and
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/212472-belt-driven-synchronous-motor-vs-dc-motor-record-players.html#post3019641
For some time I kept an eye on eBay.de looking for a cheap surplus one just to look for this possibility. :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
unfortunately no Brand for the manufacturer. It started as a project (like the DDK AS project) for a group of vinyl enthusiasts,
15 were built to high manufacturing standards. Platter, Bearing and Tonearmstand are still outstanding , but current times have developed better drives,
so I exchanged the Motor (to J Sikora or Dereneville, not yet fully sure)

Any chance to locate another unit for sale in Germany?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
As I like turntables like:

- Envogue Quasar
- Symphonic Line RG 6
- Horning Sati
- Da Vinci Audio Gabriel

as this turntables reduce the Design to the pure functional parts. This players were mostly constructed in the 80's or 90's ,
that's why some of them are in fancy colours, like my blue giant...

The most of them retail in good used conditions for 10.000,- to 15.000,- eur, some of them are complete with a good tonearm, some of them are still in production.

I found one more of the blue giant player, with a huge motor and an EMT? Tonearm, but no current sales offer.

The Dereneville Motor is described here:

http://www.avdesignhaus.de/AnalogZubehoer-Node_15748.html

The DC controller is always integrated, DC PSU is a better quality wall plug.

The J Sikora Motor is using the Pabst DC Motor as well.
http://www.jsikora.pl/en/index.html

J Sikora sells the motor in different versions (height of motor chassis, material of motor chassis and pulley),

The motor Controller is separate, an external DC PSU is supplied.

Price is very similar, no big sound difference between the two.
images.php.html.jpeg

lamborghiniorange_1.jpg

51SW2Mp8HSL._SL1000_.jpg

IMG_6990.jpg

IMG_7038.jpg

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
And you payd about € 1000 when you deduct the value of the SME 3012r arm. What a steal ! Congratulations !

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I bought it with the risk, that the Turntable does not perform at all, as the player was new to me. And, to be honest, not as a surprise, the original motor was a little outdated, but the remaining parts do perform as a "best in class" turntable. Otherwise it would have been just a too expensive SME 3012R deal...

The better Motor will cost around 4000,- eur , which has to be added to the purchase cost. but than this motor will be "best in class" as well.

If you buy one of the others on the pictures, specially Envogue or Rolf Gemein, you should think about a better Motor as well.

J Sikora is using up to 4 motors, I am more a friend of one single motor. So I have to find out, what I prefer.

For my Micro Seiki RX 5000 I am using the Sperling Motor.

http://sperling-audio.de/portfolio/motor-housing-power-supplies/?lang=en

I will get a second Sperling Motor next week and I will find out than.
(for the Blue Giant the Sperling motor has not enough power (in my opinion),
I do prefer the others, but Sperling is much cheaper, like 2000,- for a set up with 2 motors)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I bought it with the risk, that the Turntable does not perform at all, as the player was new to me. And, to be honest, not as a surprise, the original motor was a little outdated,....

What do you mean by outdated Shakti, noisy bearings or without fine speed control?

david

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
David,
mainly five points:

- Noisy Bearing
- little vibrating pulley
- no fine speed control
- speed changes over listening hours due to warm up of the motor / Motor electronics (after 30 to 60 min speed need to be fine tuned again)
- performance change over the time (warm motor sounds better, so full performance after 30 min)

Many modern motors (unfortunately not all) are doing this aspects better, some of them do even sound significant better.

Juergen

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
David,
mainly five points:

- Noisy Bearing
- little vibrating pulley
- no fine speed control
- speed changes over listening hours due to warm up of the motor / Motor electronics (after 30 to 60 min speed need to be fine tuned again)
- performance change over the time (warm motor sounds better, so full performance after 30 min)

Many modern motors (unfortunately not all) are doing this aspects better, some of them do even sound significant better.

Juergen
Did you try a speed controller like Phoenix or Walker on the original motor ? They are pretty stable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing