What's going on with the US stock market lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
What do you think is going on this time around? Record highs just about every week. Netflix up 160% YTD, Google over $900; but Apple deservedly lower... Does anyone see value right now?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What do you think is going on this time around? Record highs just about every week. Netflix up 160% YTD, Google over $900; but Apple deservedly lower... Does anyone see value right now?

Wall Street is way ahead of the "street"

rrr

May 17, 2010

Fed pumped money into the economy. Adding money with no value causes inflation. Rising water lifts all boats.

Welcome to Argentina!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Fed pumped money into the economy. Adding money with no value causes inflation. Rising water lifts all boats.

Welcome to Argentina!

Fed said they will stop the bond buy-back program. What do you predict will happen then?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Welcome to Argentina!

Aka know as inflating asset bubbles - not supported by any fundamentals. I'm was thinking of investing in tulip bulbs myself. More apt economic analogy is Japan, not Argentina.

rrr

May 17, 2010

Oh. Yeah. Almost forgot. Yesterday was Tuesday. The Dow always closes higher on Tuesday. (Last 18 Tuesdays, Anyhow!)

rrr

May 17, 2010
Aka know as inflating asset bubbles - not supported by any fundamentals. I'm was thinking of investing in tulip bulbs myself. More apt economic analogy is Japan, not Argentina.

The process of significantly diluting the USD by printing more currency could be considered by many to be a fundamental change.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You can't make any money by keeping your money in a savings account or CD. If your not in the market, where else do you stand a chance of making some money?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
You can't make any money by keeping your money in a savings account or CD. If your not in the market, where else do you stand a chance of making some money?

Real estate. Buy (preferably distressed) properties, rent them out for an 5-10% positive cash flow, watch them appreciate at 5-10% a year. Cost of funding is 3%-5%. Unfortunatly, a lot of investment funds are jumping on this opportunity and scooping up and bidding up the best properties. Plus it is A LOT more work than doing a few well timed mouseclicks on your schwab online trading account every now and then. Feels a like a lot lower risk to me though.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Real estate. Buy (preferably distressed) properties, rent them out for an 5-10% positive cash flow, watch them appreciate at 5-10% a year. Cost of funding is 3%-5%. Unfortunatly, a lot of investment funds are jumping on this opportunity and scooping up and bidding up the best properties. Plus it is A LOT more work than doing a few well timed mouseclicks on your schwab online trading account every now and then. Feels a like a lot lower risk to me though.

Wall Street is buying up properties in distressed markets right now and renting them out which is causing another housing bubble in Las Vegas, Arizona, and Florida. I know you can make money by buying houses and renting them out, but who are you renting to? People with crappy credit and crappy jobs that can't afford or qualify for a conventional home loan. I personally am not willing to put up with the headaches of rental property. I don't want to get phone calls in the middle of the night that the renters flushed little Johnny's diaper down the toilet and now the bathroom is flooded or that their heater isn't working or the roof is leaking.

rrr

May 17, 2010

Lots of places to make money if one has the knowledge, the capital and an appropriate risk tolerance. Equities, Commodities and Derivatives markets are huge and lots of people make money both in "Up" markets and "Down" markets.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Lots of places to make money if one has the knowledge, the capital and an appropriate risk tolerance. Equities, Commodities and Derivatives markets are huge and lots of people make money both in "Up" markets and "Down" markets.

Uh, aren't all of those investments part of the "market?"

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Wall Street is buying up properties in distressed markets right now and renting them out which is causing another housing bubble in Las Vegas, Arizona, and Florida. I know you can make money by buying houses and renting them out, but who are you renting to? People with crappy credit and crappy jobs that can't afford or qualify for a conventional home loan. I personally am not willing to put up with the headaches of rental property. I don't want to get phone calls in the middle of the night that the renters flushed little Johnny's diaper down the toilet and now the bathroom is flooded or that their heater isn't working or the roof is leaking.

I don't blame you, but there are lots of highly qualified good renters, that have destoyed their credit and can't get a loan to buy. Good judgment of character (more so than running checks) is of the essence. You can also use a property management company.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Funny that you guys mention real estate, 'cause I moved into RE funds heavily recently.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Funny that you guys mention real estate, 'cause I moved into RE funds heavily recently.

Stocks are overpriced (P/E ratio above long term trend), Real estate is underpriced (cost of housing as percentage of income below long term trend).

rrr

May 17, 2010
Uh, aren't all of those investments part of the "market?"

Sure, but the point is that the same things; knowledge, capital and an appropriate risk tolerance, are required for just about any investment alternative, same as the market; same as real estate, etc. Risk levels equate to return, more risk usually means more return; capital and risk tolerance are the other two important variables in any of these undertakings. When all three are optimized there is usually a better than average chance of "making some money".

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing