What's Spinning Tonight?

Mark Lanegan Band ?– Gargoyle -2017 - great record let down by a terrible recording/ transfer to vinyl - add some eq and its a lot more enjoyable

IK5HkQd.jpg
Yeah i grew up listening to Mark Lanegan- here in Seattle. First in the Screaming Trees and then later solo. He has bucked the trend and both made it over time and remained relevant.

Yeah i grew up listening to Mark Lanegan- here in Seattle. First in the Screaming Trees and then later solo. He has bucked the trend and both made it over time and remained relevant.

very cool. you would have seen him a few times locally then - envious.

I remember when I bought Screaming Trees Sweet Oblivion album back in 92, on the plain cover was a sticker - 'ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE LIMITED VINYL VERSION. ironic given vinyl's comeback ;)

Prince And The Revolution ?– Around The World In A Day - @April Snow joining in. 1985 US ARC pressing. has a brighter more detailed top end compared to the 2016 KPG remaster. I prefer the original.

CThu8u8.jpg

Celebration of excess. Over the years many of these videos were better than the music they attempted to pass off. Others were worse than you say. At least nowadays they tend to be full fledged artistic statements only undertaken when everyone is serious about being there.
I have seen one or two music videos, and apart from a few cases, I cannot say there are many I enjoyed. Do you have any favourites?

71TXrGXF8TL._SL1500_.jpg

Not particularly. This ongoing situation has lead to a lot more youtube watching than normally advisable. :confused:
I have noticed that it is happening to many people I know, who previously were not in love with Youtube. Far from it actually. It is hard to deny that the times are changing and the way we engage with music may be different than it used to be in the past. It will be a very long time (if ever) when digital will take over analogue in terms of audio quality. YT has a number of downsides, but the traditional way would not provide us with the exposure to so many artists/tunes/young talents YT could.

Smashing Pumpkins ?– Gish - released 30 years ago. classic album, but doesn't seem 30 years ago to me. Chamberlins drumming is sensational as is the distorted guitar. this is the very excellent 2011 reissue.

VMg4x0Y.jpg

Reactions: rando
Thurston Moore ?– Trees Outside The Academy - wonderful reissue of Thurston's 2007 solo album pressed on POS lime milkshake vinyl.

NilKYYB.jpg

I have noticed that it is happening to many people I know, who previously were not in love with Youtube. Far from it actually. It is hard to deny that the times are changing and the way we engage with music may be different than it used to be in the past. It will be a very long time (if ever) when digital will take over analogue in terms of audio quality. YT has a number of downsides, but the traditional way would not provide us with the exposure to so many artists/tunes/young talents YT could.

Videos offer intangible evidence otherwise left out of the experience. For many here I think that is rewarding enough to throw on a set of headphones and enjoy the complete experience. Especially where the world of their youth and today meet. Which happens considerably often, the mining of older music.

Here’s a piece that is both jazzy and relaxing from Helen Merrill with her sexy, sultry voice.

This is the first self titled album all the way back to 1958 - it’s playing as 33 1/3 RPM.

If your not familiar with HM, try to find this copy on a streaming service, but be warned you will fall in love!

Attachments

• 1BB7C42E-5D80-4749-9449-D8A5B38984AC.jpeg
    1BB7C42E-5D80-4749-9449-D8A5B38984AC.jpeg
    642.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 81974E70-47A9-4011-BB09-4663BDB6B5B5.jpeg
    81974E70-47A9-4011-BB09-4663BDB6B5B5.jpeg
    655.8 KB · Views: 0
  • CA78E2FC-2EDB-4C60-8DC9-579E323AE501.jpeg
    CA78E2FC-2EDB-4C60-8DC9-579E323AE501.jpeg
    797.4 KB · Views: 0
  • BFE9BBD4-7AA1-471E-A0AB-B732C2E6EBA6.jpeg
    BFE9BBD4-7AA1-471E-A0AB-B732C2E6EBA6.jpeg
    807.3 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: XV-1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu