Where my Black Flag people at?

n+1

Jan 4, 2023
Hi.

I love high end audio. Love it. But I don't always love the music that mostly gets talked about by the high end audio aficionados. You can look at my system and confirm that I use my dollars to buy and to build the kind of equipment that is worthy of the best recordings in the world. And I love listening to a good recording as much as the next person - up to a point. But I rarely ever hear a reviewer or a community appointed guru talk about or write about how the virtues of amp distortion or the energy in Slayer or the angry snarl of Black Flag or the bitter hatred of hypocrisy coming out the mouth of Jello Biafra or the raunch of AC/DC or the stoned out haze of Sleep or the fight in NWA - are best served by what a Koetsu Jade Platinum does or any other high end piece of audio engineering art. It's either Patricia Barber or measurements. Boring.

I like talking about what's best, but I love talking about who's the best Black Flag singer - Keith, Dez or Henry? And which one sounds best with a Dynavector XV-1s?

So...where my people at?

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Hi.

I love high end audio. Love it. But I don't always love the music that mostly gets talked about by the high end audio aficionados. You can look at my system and confirm that I use my dollars to buy and to build the kind of equipment that is worthy of the best recordings in the world. And I love listening to a good recording as much as the next person - up to a point. But I rarely ever hear a reviewer or a community appointed guru talk about or write about how the virtues of amp distortion or the energy in Slayer or the angry snarl of Black Flag or the bitter hatred of hypocrisy coming out the mouth of Jello Biafra or the raunch of AC/DC or the stoned out haze of Sleep or the fight in NWA - are best served by what a Koetsu Jade Platinum does or any other high end piece of audio engineering art. It's either Patricia Barber or measurements. Boring.

I like talking about what's best, but I love talking about who's the best Black Flag singer - Keith, Dez or Henry? And which one sounds best with a Dynavector XV-1s?

So...were my people at?

I feel you, but I’m more of an early 80’s hardcore punk person myself than a punk guy. I listen to Heresy, Youth of Today, Ripcord, Sons of Ishmael, Minor Threat, Larm, Straight-Ahead, early Poison Idea, Beyond Possession, Septic Death, early Raw Power, Cause for Alarm, early The Stupids, Adrenaline O.D., Regan Youth, Verbal Abuse and other ultra fast hardcore punk bands every week on my high-end systems.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I feel you, but I’m more of an early 80’s hardcore punk person myself than a punk guy. I listen to Heresy, Youth of Today, Ripcord, Sons of Ishmael, Minor Threat, Larm, Straight-Ahead, early Poison Idea, Beyond Possession, Septic Death, early Raw Power, Cause for Alarm, early The Stupids, Adrenaline O.D., Regan Youth, Verbal Abuse and other ultra fast hardcore punk bands every week on my high-end systems.

I forgot to mention above that I also like listening to Henry “Garfield” Rollins’ first band a lot, S.O.A. (State of Alert). Don’t know if you know this but Henry Rollins is a big time Audiophile who used to write guest editorial pieces for Stereophile and owns a big rig with Wilson Audio XLF speakers, the Grand Prixs Audio Monaco turntable, and VTL Siegfried monoblocks, along with all the other mainstream audiophile trimmings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Live Analog

n+1

Jan 4, 2023
Amazing!

Thank you for sharing. I didn't know that part about H Rollins. I knew that there was always more to him than what was on stage. I have a preference for Keith Morris Black Flag though - also Circle Jerks and Off!

I love all those bands you mentioned - especially Minor Threat. Plus Bad Brains.

And these systems we have keep that love alive.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Saw Youth of Today live in Brooklyn last November…….and the flame still burns as bright and as strong as when I first saw them live back in 1986 and 1987. Seen them live 7 times in total. With my wife the last four times and accompanied by our son this last time in New York City, very fitting for N.Y.H.C. They played faster and it was awesome to mosh to the sing-alongs. Although I love Walter, from Gorilla Biscuits, on bass, it was a bucket list show watching them with Craig “Ahead” Setari, of Straight Ahead, Agnostic Front, Sick of It All, on bass at their show in Denver last year. Simply awesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: n+1

djsina2

May 30, 2019
My friends opened for Youth Of Today back in around 1987 I guess. That’s the only time I’ve seen them. Those were the days. The OFF! show was 95% old people but still great. Only a couple hundred people there it seemed.

Reactions: Carlos269

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
My wish is for Heresy and Ripcord to both get back together for some reunion shows. I would travel to Nottingham England to watch them play like they use to play at the Mermaid Pub back in the 80’s.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Somebody said I might find some Diana Krall fans here...

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Somebody said I might find some Diana Krall fans here...

My wife and I saw Diana Krall live in concert in 2018. Diana and her band put on a great show. We were center stage in row 4 from the front of the stage. I would like to listen to her live again. She has a quirky personality and makes the music flow and more exciting & enjoyable live than she does on her recordings.

Last edited:

n+1

Jan 4, 2023
My wife and I saw Diana Krall live in concert in 2018. Diana and her band put on a great show. We were center stage in row 4 from the front of the stage. I would like to listen to her live again. She has a quirky personality and makes the music flow and more exciting & enjoyable live than she does on her recordings.
I would still wish I wash listening her husband's music.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I would still wish I wash listening her husband's music.

Other than “Pump It Up”, Elvis Costello’s music does nothing for me. I like more gritty and raw music and his music is frankly too poppy, melodic and sleep inducing for me.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Other than “Pump It Up”, Elvis Costello’s music does nothing for me. I like more gritty and raw music and his music is frankly too poppy, melodic and sleep inducing for me.
Not to mention his incredibly monotone singing. No range what-so-ever. I have wanted to like his music but after a couple tracks I’m bored silly.

Reactions: Carlos269

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Black Flag sounds great on my system. Keith Morris for the early stuff, for sure, but I think Rollins' voice fits the early to mid 80's sound in a way his predecessors wouldn't have been as suited for.
My server is well stocked!

IMG_6250.jpeg

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
I think that this thread is deserving of some music to go along with it:

Reactions: n+1

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Love all of the punk and post punk bands. My favorite old school punk bands on my system Minor Threat and Fugazi. For modern post punk bands, I've found that they are mostly poorly recorded. The Mars Volta however is awesome at full power on my horn/DHT system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing