Which 300b amplifier: Nagra 300p, Luxman MQ-300, Wavac EC-300B, Air Tight ATM-300R, Shindo Cortese 300b

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
So I'm looking to replace the 805 tubes in my LM805ia with RCA 805's that require the anode cap, wire, and plug assembly that connects behind the 805 socket. While the anode caps are easy to find I'd rather find a pre-made assembly. Anyone have an ideas where I could find something like this? The ceramic anode caps are easy to find but I have no idea what the plug size is that goes into the amp and I'd prefer not to do the soldering myself with high voltage wire. I have been googling for hours and can't find anyone that carries such a thing. I sent some emails out to LM dealers and tube supply vendors.

Thanks.

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
As a follow up I'm still really enjoying the LM805ia with the O/96's, and even more so after rolling all of the tubes - RCA 805's, EML 300B-XLS, NOS NOS Mullard ECC35, and NOS RCA 6SN7 VT-231 smoked glass. Great synergy.

Yet in true audiophile form I'm still exceedingly curious about a 300B amp. I've talked to John DeVore about his reflections on his Air Tight 300R with the O/96's and he says it's a stellar pairing. He apparently did a straight up trade with the folks at Air Tight - the 300R amp for a pair of his O/96's. I never see this amp come on the used market sadly.

otta

Nov 18, 2020
I find 0/96 with Luxman MQ300 in my set up - Excellent synergy. Started out with Luxman MQ-88uSE amp and it was musically satisfying combination which produced slightly more lower end than MQ300 though the delicacy MQ300 brings to combo is just sublime!!! Honestly you cant go wrong with either of the amps with 0/96.

Reactions: DeadWax

Fohlenfan

Aug 28, 2016
Maybe not so common this AcousticPlan Aruna Amplifier from Germany is strongly recommended For those who can live with only 6 Watts. It´s a hommage to the Western Electrica Style even if you put on some Replica Tubes. Tubes are 2*300B, 2*310A and one 274B or 5U4G.

Attachments

• 45BFFD19-8BF3-4328-9B11-7CAC1D0841C5.jpeg
    45BFFD19-8BF3-4328-9B11-7CAC1D0841C5.jpeg
    685.2 KB · Views: 14

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I find 0/96 with Luxman MQ300 in my set up - Excellent synergy. Started out with Luxman MQ-88uSE amp and it was musically satisfying combination which produced slightly more lower end than MQ300 though the delicacy MQ300 brings to combo is just sublime!!! Honestly you cant go wrong with either of the amps with 0/96.
That's interesting that the MQ-88uSE held it's ground against the more than 2X costing MQ-300. Thanks for the input here.

bodhisattva

Dec 5, 2020
to throw another contender into the mix, how would Thomas Mayer 300B stereo amps compare to those already listed and discussed above?

in particular, i would be keen to hear any thoughts on the Air Tight ATM-300R w/ the ATC-5 preamp in comparison to a Thomas Mayer 300B stereo amp w/ the 10Y preamp?

Last edited:

BP4007

Mar 7, 2018
I own both the Air Tight 300B Anniversary amp (not the 300R) and the Air Tight 211 monoblocks (not the 2211). Both are SET, at 9 and 22 Watts, channel respectively. And yes, contrary to what you might read, the 300 Anniversary has 9 watts/channel like the 300 R. I alternate both between ESL 57's, Kef 3 references, and Horning Eufrodite mk 4's. It's a small listening area in my Whiskey bar, not really tuned in. Regardless, both have enough power for all speakers at moderate listening levels. The 300B is at times magical, the 211's remarkable, with a bit more punch, lower end grunt, and power the ESL 57's much more easily. Probably the best combo is the 300B with the Hornings (98db). Second the 211's with the Kefs. Running with the Air Tight ATC 5, mostly stream with dsc debussy dac.
I also have the Air Tight ATM 2 (not 2s). Nearly 80 watts, push-pull design. It sits on the shelf.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
to throw another contender into the mix, how would Thomas Mayer 300B stereo amps compare to those already listed and discussed above?

in particular, i would be keen to hear any thoughts on the Air Tight ATM-300R w/ the ATC-5 preamp in comparison to a Thomas Mayer 300B stereo amp w/ the 10Y preamp?

I have compared air tight 300b with other amps and really like it. It is very clean and transparent and great drive, provided your speakers are sensitive/efficient enough. I have compared their phono as well and it's good, not great.

I have no experience with the Mayer 300b but I think highly of his 46, possibly the best amp I have heard but it works with extremely few speakers, being 1.25 to 3 watts. His preamp is my favorite valve preamp. It just has so much drive, dynamic range, tone, transparency and nuance. If you roll the 10y the effect might not be same as rolling the 300b, but all the RCA 801 and Cunningham globe 10y are amazing though difficult to find. I wouldn't use the elrog 801 don't like it. The GE is also a good cheaper easy to find 10y though not same level as the other two, but the difference in the valves as I said it's lower than between 300b valves

The elrog 300b is my favorite 300b ampifier valve, KR is next, prefer both to Tak and EML and are quite superior to the likes of JJ and psvane.

Last edited:

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
I hope to be able to audition one day the Alieno 250, 2*300B. Heard it once. Was a great experience.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I hope to be able to audition one day the Alieno 250, 2*300B. Heard it once. Was a great experience.

Heard it at audioquattr with comparison to dagostino stereo on Magico M3, then with his Cessaro zeta, and have heard it in another system with Magico Q7. Audioquattr loved his amp but has now moved to trafomatic Elysium which is Eimac 450 TL. I have heard the amp only in Munich, sounded glorious with tune audio Anima. Too expensive and bespoke

bodhisattva

Dec 5, 2020
I own both the Air Tight 300B Anniversary amp (not the 300R) and the Air Tight 211 monoblocks (not the 2211). Both are SET, at 9 and 22 Watts, channel respectively. And yes, contrary to what you might read, the 300 Anniversary has 9 watts/channel like the 300 R. I alternate both between ESL 57's, Kef 3 references, and Horning Eufrodite mk 4's. It's a small listening area in my Whiskey bar, not really tuned in. Regardless, both have enough power for all speakers at moderate listening levels. The 300B is at times magical, the 211's remarkable, with a bit more punch, lower end grunt, and power the ESL 57's much more easily. Probably the best combo is the 300B with the Hornings (98db). Second the 211's with the Kefs. Running with the Air Tight ATC 5, mostly stream with dsc debussy dac.
I also have the Air Tight ATM 2 (not 2s). Nearly 80 watts, push-pull design. It sits on the shelf.
thanks so much for this information!!

i have heard one owner mention that his atm-300, probably the first version, was somewhat noisy. all others have said it was dead quiet.

just, curious what your experience with the 300 anniversary is in this regard?

do you use the attenuators on the 300 anniversiary to reduce the gain, particualrly give the atc-5 is a high gain pre-amp?

Last edited:

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Heard it at audioquattr with comparison to dagostino stereo on Magico M3, then with his Cessaro zeta, and have heard it in another system with Magico Q7. Audioquattr loved his amp but has now moved to trafomatic Elysium which is Eimac 450 TL. I have heard the amp only in Munich, sounded glorious with tune audio Anima. Too expensive and bespoke
I heard the Trafomatic Elysium as well. I was impressed but indeed outside my range. Their Pandora's are not bad either, push-pull and no 300B but still....

@audioquattr , do you still own the Alieno? Wondering if you switch the Trafomatic with the Alieno and how your thought are today...

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I heard the Trafomatic Elysium as well. I was impressed but indeed outside my range. Their Pandora's are not bad either, push-pull and no 300B but still....

@audioquattr , do you still own the Alieno? Wondering if you switch the Trafomatic with the Alieno and how your thought are today...

Yes. I am not sure what you exactly mean, but in most aspects i prefer the Elysiums. Allthough the Alieno is a great amplifier.

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
but definitely preferred the 845 300B DHT combo
I know, it's an old post but I was wondering if this was a typo upon reflecting on your LM508ia and you meant you preferred the "805 300B" combo over the EL34-based amps? I'm considering an Air Tight ATM-1S with my O/96's but wondering if my LM805ia actually would perform better?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I know, it's an old post but I was wondering if this was a typo upon reflecting on your LM508ia and you meant you preferred the "805 300B" combo over the EL34-based amps? I'm considering an Air Tight ATM-1S with my O/96's but wondering if my LM805ia actually would perform better?
I love the look of the Air Tight amps… the 845/300B valve combo reference was from back when I borrowed a LM 219ia. I ended up going with the LM805ia which I do prefer to the 219ia and use the 805 on the Pap horns (and also have a LM508ia that I have to run with the Harbeths).

I was toying with the idea of trying another amp to roll in (Feliks Arioso 300B) but instead I'm going to stay with what I have and just about to put in an order for a pair of new WE300B (from the US) and will also get the Linlai 300B elites in at the same time and a pair of Linlai 805 elites to upgrade in the LM805. I’m happy with the Kenrads as VT231 and VT229 but will likely try the new Linlai E 6sn7 just to gauge the difference. Think they might be coming out with 6sl7 as well

Last edited:
Reactions: DeadWax

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I love the look of the Air Tight amps… the 845/300B valve combo reference was from back when I borrowed a LM 219ia. I ended up going with the LM805ia which I do prefer to the 219ia and use the 805 on the Pap horns (and also have a LM508ia that I have to run with the Harbeths).

I'm just about to put in an order for a pair of new WE300B (from the US) and will also get the Linlai 300B elites in at the same time and a pair of Linlai 805 elites to upgrade in the LM805. I’m happy with the Kenrads as VT231 and VT229 but will likely try the new Linlai E 6sn7 just to gauge the difference. Think they might be coming out with 6sl7 as well
I didn’t know you preferred the LM805 to the LM219. What was the difference as I am familiar with the 219 and thought it was quite good.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I didn’t know you preferred the LM805 to the LM219. What was the difference as I am familiar with the 219 and thought it was quite good.
The 219 is a lovely amp Brad, its just that I found the LM805 to be more immediate and engaging, more of a piece and it unfailingly seduces me into the music, all the separation dissipates, reason evaporates and I am in the zone and connected.

That said I did go for upgraded caps and resistors to add to the internal deliciousness. The pairing with the LTA microzotl MZ3 shifts it for me into an even more complete rightness.

I might take the easy way out on this, the 219 for me is more Pinot, the 845 Cabernet and the 805 a Shiraz… I like them all but I do love a great Shiraz. Bold, rich, full and alive… and am filled with the intoxication even when (apparently) completely sober lol :)

Last edited:

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
I am looking to upgrade (and simultaneously downsize) from Coincident Frankenstein Mk2 300b SET monoblock amps to one of these stereo amplifiers.

These are the four candidates so far: Nagra 300p, Luxman MQ-300, Wavac EC-300B, Air Tight ATM-300R, Shindo Cortese 300b

My preamp/dac is Bricasti M12 and my speakers are Devore O/96.

I am not looking/interested in any other 300b amps at this point.

If anyone has compared one or more of these amps do chime in.

Where I live I can probably demo the Nagra and the Air Tight but nothing else.

Thoughts?
To start at the beginning; it might be worth talkining to Jeffrey Catalano of HighWater Sounds. He is certainly familiar with the Devores and the Hornings mentioned by a previous poster, as well as most of the amps mentioned in this thread; including Mayer's amps. I have always found him happy to share his insights and knowledge. The problem of course is that this thread is a melee (medievall sense) of physics, preferences, experience and assumptions. Difficult to predict who will be the last man standing.

So here are my prejudices

Air tight: not convinced that their circuit design or execution is as good as it coud be
Boulder: heavily reliant on it power supplies to deliver the goods:) Aesthetics:confused:
Nagra: Over engineered hi fi jewellery;)
Kondo: Overpriced. lower frequencies not convincing. Newer versions very different voicing to older
ML: Exceedes expectations of made in China
NAT: Big gamble. difficult to sell on
Supratek: Down under gamble. well executed. not well known
Tron: Atlantic; affordable dedicated engineering:rolleyes:
Silvercore: Left field product
Thomas Meyer; Overpriced Garage engineering:D

Devore 93/96: Needs lower frequency control 211 rather than 300b unless very stiff transformers
Horning: works with either. surprising lower frequency performance

OK that will do

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To start at the beginning; it might be worth talkining to Jeffrey Catalano of HighWater Sounds. He is certainly familiar with the Devores and the Hornings mentioned by a previous poster, as well as most of the amps mentioned in this thread; including Mayer's amps. I have always found him happy to share his insights and knowledge. The problem of course is that this thread is a melee (medievall sense) of physics, preferences, experience and assumptions. Difficult to predict who will be the last man standing.

So here are my prejudices

Air tight: not convinced that their circuit design or execution is as good as it coud be
Boulder: heavily reliant on it power supplies to deliver the goods:) Aesthetics:confused:
Nagra: Over engineered hi fi jewellery;)
Kondo: Overpriced. lower frequencies not convincing. Newer versions very different voicing to older
ML: Exceedes expectations of made in China
NAT: Big gamble. difficult to sell on
Supratek: Down under gamble. well executed. not well known
Tron: Atlantic; affordable dedicated engineering:rolleyes:
Silvercore: Left field product
Thomas Meyer; Overpriced Garage engineering:D

Devore 93/96: Needs lower frequency control 211 rather than 300b unless very stiff transformers
Horning: works with either. surprising lower frequency performance

OK that will do

Hi, which of these have you heard in familiar systems? I agree with most except Mayer. Not that I like the Mayer pricing. And no experience with Tron amps

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing