Whither Audio Research

Well, some people here seem to think that the survival of this hobby depends on the death of the more successful iconic brands ... :(

Why do you assume that? As I said above, let's put emotions aside and think clearly.

Asking about whether a strategy for success has been crafted is the polar opposite of your assertion.

Reactions: Gregadd
I had to Google peanut gallery. I know know what armchair quarterback. I think Monday morning wwiaterback,nervous nelly,doomsayers, party poopers,etc
.are also appropriate.
Do you concede the million is not operhave aating capital?
Do you have a source of operating capital?
Do you have a viable business model?
Do you have any idea of what thier customer base will be going fotward,?
Do you of what the new owner plans to do with the company?
If you do, please share it with us.
BYW please reveal your stake in the company.
Otherwise I Han an armchair and a beer next to me in the peanut gallery. I invite you to have a seat.
I hope it's not to obnoxious to point our all my predictions so far have come true

I had to Google peanut gallery. I know know what armchair quarterback. I think Monday morning wwiaterback,nervous nelly,doomsayers, party poopers,etc
.are also appropriate.
Do you concede the million is not operhave aating capital?
Do you have a source of operating capital?
Do you have a viable business model?
Do you have any idea of what thier customer base will be going fotward,?
Do you of what the new owner plans to do with the company?
If you do, please share it with us.
BYW please reveal your stake in the company.
Otherwise I Han an armchair and a beer next to me in the peanut gallery. I invite you to have a seat.
I hope it's not to obnoxious to point our all my predictions so far have come true
If anyone could answer your questions, why would they? You have no stake, either as a direct or indirect player.

None of your predictions have come true. ARC never formally failed. They’ve been maintaining manufacturing, customer service, and repairs continuously.

The TWS business plan was not robust enough to stand up to the long delayed, sadly necessarily aggressive, Fed actions of the past year. It was long on new ideas (I/50, REF160/320), but short on the ability to service debt in a market of rapidly rising interest rates.

My heart goes out to Trent. But Val has been clever so far. You might join Cesar and both offer your consulting expertise. Maybe Jasonbourne (?) would be interested in helping too. o_O

Reactions: Scott Naylor
(...) Asking about whether a strategy for success has been crafted is the polar opposite of your assertion.

Yes, at this moment asking such question is childish, not even WBF speculation. The ARC people and the new owner told us what they want us to know. :)

Reactions: Another Johnson

Which predictions are these?

Your first prediction, which has proven to be incorrect, was about huge egos and toys:

The way that ["wealthy patron" purchaser] goes is people with that kind of money usually have huge egos. It's their toy and eventually they want to play with it.

That is not a prediction. ?Given it time the toy is not even out of the box yet.
My prediction was that nobody would buy it outright. They would wait for it to go to bankruptcy then pick it up. That came true.
They have not even settled on a name yet.

If anyone could answer your questions, why would they? You have no stake, either as a direct or indirect player.

None of your predictions have come true. ARC never formally failed. They’ve been maintaining manufacturing, customer service, and repairs continuously.

The TWS business plan was not robust enough to stand up to the long delayed, sadly necessarily aggressive, Fed actions of the past year. It was long on new ideas (I/50, REF160/320), but short on the ability to service debt in a market of rapidly rising interest rates.

My heart goes out to Trent. But Val has been clever so far. You might join Cesar and both offer your consulting expertise. Maybe Jasonbourne (?) would be interested in helping too. o_O
Formally failed?" I dont know wat that. Means.I don't have to since it's your term. My definnnition of failure is they had debts they could not and to seek relief from bankruptcy cooirt.
They have two new names for the comp anybeing vetted. To me that means Audio Research is gone.
I have no business plan Simve you failed to answer the questions. Neither do you. Nor did you state thier business plan
Again the seat is open

Gentlemen, I don't have the time to check fremer's video. does any one know who paid for his expenses to fly to MN to make the video? surely not pro bono.

does he disclose?

Transparency is a good thing

Gentlemen, I don't have the time to check fremer's video. does any one know who paid for his expenses to fly to MN to make the video? surely not pro bono.

does he disclose?

He was already there for an event. Make time before opinionating.

Reactions: Daverich4 and Lee
Formally failed?" I dont know wat that. Means.I don't have to since it's your term. My definnnition of failure is they had debts they could not and to seek relief from bankruptcy cooirt.
They have two new names for the comp anybeing vetted. To me that means Audio Research is gone.
I have no business plan Simve you failed to answer the questions. Neither do you. Nor did you state thier business plan
Again the seat is open

They never went into bankruptcy court. Again, you have no skin in the game. Do you have an undisclosed interest in ARC?

TWS screwed this up by not taking care of it before it became a matter of public record. That’s not Cora’s fault. That’s TWS and what appears to have been their poor planning. In TWS’s defense, the interest rate run up leading to the receivership was breathtaking. I’m enjoying the run up because I don’t borrow, but do invest. For the first time since 2008 it is possible to get a decent return without significant risk.

Why not let it go? If you turn out to be right, gloat later. For now let Cora and his team sort it out. As I pointed out, he has had boots on the ground for a good while. He is certainly aware of what’s in the public record. It will be entertaining to see their next steps, but now that the court is done, he will have the privacy that may be necessary to right the ship. There are certainly a lot of obvious steps that can be taken. He’s got over a million bucks on the table. Chump change? Probably not.

From other posts, I think we think alike on many issues. But why be a cheerleader for the group who appears to be anxious for this company to disappear? Would you rather be right, or let the Cora team orchestrate a happy ending?

I had to Google peanut gallery.
It’s probably more familiar to Boomers and older.
When MF and I were children, the children in the audience of programs like Howdy Doody and Pinky Lee were “in the peanut gallery” shouting advice to Buffalo Bob or Pinky about how
to react to antics by other players in their acts. I was on a Pinky Lee show as an audience member once.

In earlier years the term came from Vaudeville and really just referred to the audience.

In my usage, borrowed from a recent MF (aka TrackingAngle) post, it just refers to the parties who are kibitzing from the sidelines with no actual role to play.

Reactions: Gregadd
He was already there for an event. Make time before opinionating.

not sure what you are talking about. what event and who paid for him to be there?

I am not an alter kaker with to watch mostly worthless youtube audiophile videos

Yes, at this moment asking such question is childish, not even WBF speculation. The ARC people and the new owner told us what they want us to know. :)

Hey, not trying to be disrespectful. You have a lot of experience and despite some disagreements wit you I enjoy reading your posts as they provide an interesting perspective. But this is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read.

As everywhere in today's media landscape, people are seeking out news and information that confirms their biases... such most of the active participants in this thread... yet many others are just watching are car wreck (while a small number surely do want arc to go away).

So the guy who bought the company has issued a mostly worthless press release. It's hardly reassuring to anyone willing to invest thousands of dollars into ARC gear...

The guy who bought them manufacturers granite speakers . I am sure Wilson junior and "haughty" peter mcgrath are shaking in their boots due to the threat of competition, while "superior to the almighty" wolf from magico is probably rolling around on the floor laughing laughing at the design... the dude's other claim to be able to run ARC is that he "loves ARC gear" and owns an ARC 750 - laughable reasons to put trust in him to be able to turn the company around... talking about childish....

does he disclose?

He was there for the Making Music vinyl event.

Well then, we'll be looking forward to his solid stone chassis amps! o_O

Not likely as the shipping costs would be uneconomic.

Hey, not trying to be disrespectful. You have a lot of experience and despite some disagreements wit you I enjoy reading your posts as they provide an interesting perspective. But this is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read.

As everywhere in today's media landscape, people are seeking out news and information that confirms their biases... such most of the active participants in this thread... yet many others are just watching are car wreck (while a small number surely do want arc to go away).

So the guy who bought the company has issued a mostly worthless press release. It's hardly reassuring to anyone willing to invest thousands of dollars into ARC gear...

The guy who bought them manufacturers granite speakers . I am sure Wilson junior and "haughty" peter mcgrath are shaking in their boots due to the threat of competition, while "superior to the almighty" wolf from magico is probably rolling around on the floor laughing laughing at the design... the dude's other claim to be able to run ARC is that he "loves ARC gear" and owns an ARC 750 - laughable reasons to put trust in him to be able to turn the company around... talking about childish....
Hold on there Sparky. Val has owned a wide variety of ARC components. He is a long-time fan.

I spent a bit of time with Val Cora the last two shows. I have more faith in him than many other industry players in being able to innovate and add some new polish to the brand. My concern for the brand goes more to it being fairly polarizing between the positivity old school players seem to have about it, and the lack of knowledge and resulting indifference/negativity that seems to permeate the rest of the market. In order to turn it around will require convincing a really large market segment, by probably radically changing looks and features.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishfood
My concern for the brand goes more to it being fairly polarizing between the positivity old school players seem to have about it, and the lack of knowledge and resulting indifference/negativity that seems to permeate the rest of the market. In order to turn it around will require convincing a really large market segment, by probably radically changing looks and features.

I honestly don't understand why you feel it is this complicated. ARC products presently sound great and look great.

I think the main mission is to reduce significantly the cost structure of the business.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing