Who’s up for a $2800 fuse?

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
So a fuse can sound as good as an upgraded piece of electronics gear, if you believe that then god bless you. Enjoy! No way no how for me. :)

Philly, I think by now you realize how absurd some 'fuse heads' can get !

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Keep the original fuse and reinstall it if you send the gear in for repair.

Well, you’d have to blow the OEM too, which wouldn’t be hard to do. The developer would easily spot a problem that should have blown a fuse.But really, unless you live where there are a lot of electrical storms or there are problems with the area electrical feed, I wouldn’t worry much.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Keep the original fuse and reinstall it if you send the gear in for repair.
But Bud what if installing a higher rated fuse and then as an outcome its failure to blow is the cause of the failure in the component. Hmmm dunno… to me going with non spec rating for a fuse does sound like it could be a hasty choice… especially if the gear is from the pricier spectrum in the hi-end.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
That’s only a problem if the developer specs it close. Can always ask, because some do. Otherwise, only certain brands are for you or only certain equipment that don’t have a strong initial current surge with the suspect brands. Or one can experiment at spec with the latter and if blows, return it. Lots of choicesfor improving the sound — substantially

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
People go with higher rated CB all the time. You can hear a difference between a 20 and 30 amp breaker. It would seem to me a larger fuse would also allow more current let through and a sense of more dynamics and ease.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
There are so many options to improve sound substantially and that’s good but I’d think staying within spec for component upgrades would be wise especially when it comes to fuse safety and any risk of fire if a fuse doesn’t do it’s job.

Edit just saw your post Rex… I think if an electrical engineer is making that call it’s different than someone without that background… I’ve used hifi tuning fuses but then always replaced like with like. For me those specific fuses were relatively small differences in sound outcomes. I really haven’t ventured back since then.

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Well AMG Gold fuses are larger than 20mm. They do not fit in the fuse holder of my amp. I wonder what fuse Paul uses. Mine are just glass. I would get a reasonable priced fuse. I am not funded so well to play with $1000 fuses. Especially when my amp is duel mono and takes 2.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello all and good afternoon you. I just got done reading the 17 pages so far on this thread and I believe no one on this forum has the tried the Red and Black fuse yet? (This is the one that cost $2800.00)

So far, I only see that one member has a friend or two that have tried the Silver fuses. (5K)

Tom

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Hello all and good afternoon you. I just got done reading the 17 pages so far on this thread and I believe no one on this forum has the tried the Red and Black fuse yet? (This is the one that cost $2800.00)

So far, I only see that one member has a friend or two that have tried the Silver fuses. (5K)

Tom

I've got red/blacks in a VAC Master preamp and Lampi GG3 dac. Reds most everywhere else, only because Tweek Geek sold out of them during his inventory reduction sale last December.

Reactions: Lee and treitz3

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Awesome. Thank you for the quick response. How long did it take for your R&B to finally start settling down?

Tom

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Awesome. Thank you for the quick response. How long did it take for your R&B to finally start settling down?

Tom

I don't recall specifically, but plan on 300 hours with power to it (feed is on but unit not necessary). I have a run of components, fuses and tubes now that haven't stabilized and hit their stride until between 280 and 305 hours.

Reactions: treitz3

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Anyone tried this or compared it with comparably priced QSA fuses?

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Anyone compared comparably priced QSA fuses with this?

Interesting idea, although as far as a cost comparison goes, it appears that the reviewer compared the box with the QSA yellow ($213 retail), the bottom of their line. It would seem use of the box entails the cost of either another power cord or a good quality adapter (I'd go for the latter first). Then there's the back and forth with Vera-Fi and further cost if the fuse value turns out to be too low -- that sometimes happens -- or if the component the box is used with changes.

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
Interesting idea, although as far as a cost comparison goes, it appears that the reviewer compared the box with the QSA yellow ($213 retail), the bottom of their line. It would seem use of the box entails the cost of either another power cord or a good quality adapter (I'd go for the latter first). Then there's the back and forth with Vera-Fi and further cost if the fuse value turns out to be too low -- that sometimes happens -- or if the component the box is used with changes.
Cellbern,

We have corresponded in the recent past about several LessLoss products. I have been living with the Swiss Digital in line for a month now.

Although, I have no experience with QSA fuses, I do have several SR Purples in various LPS's & replaced the SR Master Fuse in my integrated with the SDFB. Not because I wasn't happy with the Master, but rather, I have been so impressed with Vera Fi Audio's Puron Plug-in Mains Filters & superb customer service that I wanted to try their Fuse Box.

Well, all I can say is I'm glad I did because increase the dynamic range is beyond my expectation! This tweak punches well above its weight in terms of price/performance.

It is professionally calibrated with the value clearly marked on a label affixed to the unit itself. The AC pigtail that was included is of high quality & very well made. There's no skimping when it comes the upgraded Sluggos either.

Vera Fi Audio offers a generous return policy, however, I'm confident that my positive experience is typical of other SDFB converts!

Hope this helps,

MacF

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
I've got red/blacks in a VAC Master preamp and Lampi GG3 dac. Reds most everywhere else, only because Tweek Geek sold out of them during his inventory reduction sale last December.
Well, I will say this. I was impressed when I installed it in the power control board within the power supply of my amp but now that it has settled down? Impressed is an understatement.

It does amaze me that such a small thing can make such a huge impact to just about every aspect there is within the reproductive effort.

I have to admit, I have spent much more to get much less, actually making this fuse an excellent value (to me).

Tom

Tubedoctor

Dec 12, 2012
I have tested over 200 fuses from different manufacturers in various systems since January 2023. Although I consider the price of a fuse to be absurd, I have to say that the QSA Gold fuse brought the greatest benefit in all system configurations. I didn't buy it because I don't have the heart to pay that much money for a fuse.

Reactions: ctydwn

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I have tested over 200 fuses from different manufacturers in various systems since January 2023. Although I consider the price of a fuse to be absurd, I have to say that the QSA Gold fuse brought the greatest benefit in all system configurations. I didn't buy it because I don't have the heart to pay that much money for a fuse.
How much is the Gold Fuse?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
10K?

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I can accept that there's a process/treatment that can be applied to fuses, wall duplexes, cables, etc. that dramatically improves sound quality. What's harder to envision is how that process/treatment can be applied progressively such that incremental levels of sound quality improvement correspond to increasing price levels ranging from a "Yellow" fuse at little more than $200 all of the way up to whatever the price of a "Gold" fuse is.

Reactions: iain

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing