Who’s up for a $2800 fuse?

Aug 23, 2021
Hi Cellcbern

I guess you are 100% correct by saying the most conclusive way to determine sound quality is by listening.In the end who cares how something measures.The reason I did it was only to see if I can measure a difference at all.I think if you measure 20 different fuses,they will measure within 1% if you measure only resistance and impedance.I was reading on a different forum,the different options and the people got very excited and the scientists and Electrical engineers were all arguing that something that measures electrical the same must sound the same.The only problem is ,they didn’t measure vibration.I am sure I could measure more parameters but I don’t know if it will be more conclusive or we would be any wiser afterwards.

I believe in measuring different things but also know in audio you can measure many things but it is not always the equipment that measures the best that sound the best.I got Accuphase A250 monoblocks and they measure superb and I got single ended Tube monoblocks and they measure in comparison terrible but the Tube amps just sound more natural and human .I guess we still don’t know what to measure and understand the measurements.

It is for me much more exciting to listen to others and their options,but the difficulty is not everybody description is the same,some use different words to explain the same.Some people are from different countries and their way of explaining something is very different .

In the end we have to enjoy our hobby or get a new one.I am enjoying audio tremendously

Keep on rolling these fuses and share your experience with us.We all want to learn.Anybody can and should have a own opinion ,right or wrong it doesn’t matter.Better to have a wrong opinion ,than to have no opinion at all

Cheers and enjoy

Billinge

Aug 15, 2021
I am going or are busy analysing,2x 3,15 amp Hifi tuning supreme 5x20mm fast and 2 x5 amp Hifi tuning supreme 6.3x32mm slow fuses only on the vibration behaviour and if normal black tape changes anything.I was able to hear something on my system but would I be able to measure it.Only used the larger 6.3x32mm fuse in my amp,were the differences were very audible with or without tape around the glass section of the fuse.

Small fuse,5x20mm,50hz ,100hz and 200hz spike and one at 550-570hz
Small fuse with tape,same 50hz ,100hz and 200hz spike but 26-29% lower in amplitude and83% lower at 550-570 hz
Larger 32x32mm fuse ,50hz ,100hz and 200hz and two spikes very large spikes at 430 and 710hz
Large fuse with tape,50hz ,100hz and 200hz spike but 46-51% less in amplitude and the 2 spikes at 430 and 710hz 88% lower .

With tape the small 5x20mm fuse still had around 19-20% less vibrations

the 50-100-200hz vibration spikes are from the Alternating Current AC ,we use in Switzerland 230Volt ,50hz but I want to examine the higher frequencies spikes closer,I think they are from the resonance frequencies from the different fuses.Everything got one or more resonant frequencies.

I only spend 2 hours in my lab and these machines are normally in constant use.I have to fight for time.My employees got priority,they making my money and I just presuming a hobby ,but I will try to find out where the higher frequencies vibration come from.Even if I have to go one day late afternoon,when everybody is at home,I will try to get to it.

I could not measure any difference,regarding the impedance and dc resistance on the fuses with or without tape as expected

This is what I was able to measure and I could hear the difference in my amp with one 6.3am fuse with or without tape around it.

Maybe and just a suspicion,maybe the whole fuse differences are only the difference in vibration or vibration control,I don’t know,just a guess.

I took black tape,normal isolatebtape ,cut the tape to fit just on the glass section of the fuse,just one turn.

maybe two or more turns will be better.I don’t know.I haven’t tried it.

It is very easy and anybody can try it and if please let us know if you tr

Please see the results just as guidance and nothing more with different make of fuses the results may differ and it was just a 2 hour stunt for now
Cheers and let all the different fuses give you pleasure and make your Hifi experience even better
Enjoy,a hifi nut

you could try teflon plumbers tape...

Aug 23, 2021
Hi Bilinge

I am trying at the moment some tape I got from the hardware store,that is supposed to work on a car’s exhaust,much thicker and sticky and gooey.It sound very different.The sound is actually very good,not as airy as without tape but much more presence and tangible.
The question I got is : All the different QSA fuses,are there any differences electrical or just vibration control.I can not imagine the fuses measure electrical different.The story about quantum science ,most people that claim they use any quantum.science,they got no idea about it.I can tell you that out of experience and that is just voodoo and witchcraft BS ,I don’t buy that and the story about eliminating a bottleneck I also don’t buy.What bottleneck.
If QSA got something new,why don’t they just get a patent and then enlighten us,but I think they don’t want to,they want to keep us in the dark and feed us shit.Voodoo sell easier than facts.
Sometimes about trade secrets,this is B/S,we not living in the stone age anymore.If they really found something and they could explain it to me,maybe by some miracle,I would actually buy the fuses and would even buy the patent from them for other applications.If any of this is proven and makes sense ,what they claiming ,this could be a real quantum leap in many electrical and electronic applications and could generated big money.

keep on rolling these fuses and share your experience.Every comment is appropriate and appreciated

Cheers

Reactions: Chop

Billinge

Aug 15, 2021
I don't disagree regarding the cost, I accept that all components sound different, personally I tried 3 well known types and I'm happy with SR orange - I use these on my tv where the difference is obvious to see. My tv originally came with a HiFi tuning fuse fitted.

The point I was making wrt the fuse is consider the EM field around a circular conductor (no such thing as a perfect conductor or insulator) and Maxwells eqns. I often used pfte tape as dielectric on my home made cables)

Worst case a fuse could be a horrible piece of tin/zin better still it could be silver based or best of all no fuse

A good fuse or cable won't improve a signal from source but a bad fuse or cable will probably degrade a signal much more (ie be a kind of filter). Its all about how much signal quality loss per £ you are happy to accept from the original ~perfect source

Aug 23, 2021
Hi Bilinge

agree ,everything makes a difference,some are easy to differentiate,others not.Everything that conducts produces a EMI field .You could shield a fuse against incoming EMI and RF interference that could make a difference and you could shield a fuse radiating EMI into other components .Shielding on the other side increases capacitance and could effect some high frequencies,but it would be very little,because the fuse is very short.

Shielding could make a difference but I think it would be very little,but who knows.If you start shielding a fuse you should start to shield every resistors,capacitor,ic and transformer,transistor against each other and that is not impossible but very difficult .

I surely don’t know what makes a super fuse except,get the impedance/ resistance at low as possible and try to eliminate vibration,but I guess,most fuse manufacturer’s do something like it,but that is nothing new and definitely no Quantum Science.

Does anyone got an idea,does not matter how far fetched the idea might be,how could a fuse be made better.I ask my electrical engineers and Physics that question.You should have seen their faces,the first question was why.Can a fuse make a difference and I explained what I did with the tape, and we talking about 34 people,19 with PhD’s .They were just shaking their heads. I will hopefully get some or maybe one answer,but they thought I lost it completely.

Don’t ever ask a none Audiophile questions about audio ,even if he or she is very well educated,they don’t understand it and can’t believe the nonsense we believe in and what we actually hear or might be hearing.

I hope somebody has an idea and we could brainstorm it and see if it can work.This could be interesting and maybe benefit us .

Cheers

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Hi Bilinge

I am trying at the moment some tape I got from the hardware store,that is supposed to work on a car’s exhaust,much thicker and sticky and gooey.It sound very different.The sound is actually very good,not as airy as without tape but much more presence and tangible.
The question I got is : All the different QSA fuses,are there any differences electrical or just vibration control.I can not imagine the fuses measure electrical different.The story about quantum science ,most people that claim they use any quantum.science,they got no idea about it.I can tell you that out of experience and that is just voodoo and witchcraft BS ,I don’t buy that and the story about eliminating a bottleneck I also don’t buy.What bottleneck.
If QSA got something new,why don’t they just get a patent and then enlighten us,but I think they don’t want to,they want to keep us in the dark and feed us shit.Voodoo sell easier than facts.
Sometimes about trade secrets,this is B/S,we not living in the stone age anymore.If they really found something and they could explain it to me,maybe by some miracle,I would actually buy the fuses and would even buy the patent from them for other applications.If any of this is proven and makes sense ,what they claiming ,this could be a real quantum leap in many electrical and electronic applications and could generated big money.

keep on rolling these fuses and share your experience.Every comment is appropriate and appreciated

Cheers
Do you plan to do some kind of tests/measurements on a QSA fuse? Note that QSA also has a color coded series of AC receptacles for which it claims similar (to the fuses) technology/benefits.

Aug 23, 2021
No,I don’t want to go that route .I hope to get some input regarding ideas what could improve a audio fuse in general.Any ideas .

I’ve seen the QSA website and seen the different colour codes of the fuses and the AC receptacles

I don’t know and don’t expect we would be able to measure any differences electrical at all,the measurements would be extremely similar,but apparently they sound different..

Maybe somebody got an idea how this is possible,or what magic is behind this.Please no quantum bla…bla or maybe this is really the answer,but I would be astonished.

Love to hear anybody’s ideas

Cheers

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
No,I don’t want to go that route .I hope to get some input regarding ideas what could improve a audio fuse in general.Any ideas .

I’ve seen the QSA website and seen the different colour codes of the fuses and the AC receptacles

I don’t know and don’t expect we would be able to measure any differences electrical at all,the measurements would be extremely similar,but apparently they sound different..

Maybe somebody got an idea how this is possible,or what magic is behind this.Please no quantum bla…bla or maybe this is really the answer,but I would be astonished.

Love to hear anybody’s ideas

Cheers
Hello M&W here is some info I pulled, these cost around £35 and guess what ! they are QUANTUM , hooray!

Attachments

• F521E4E1-44EC-4C3E-B263-6AC86F082785.jpeg
    F521E4E1-44EC-4C3E-B263-6AC86F082785.jpeg
    592.9 KB · Views: 20

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Bilinge

Cheers
It would be good if patents provided the protection that they used to, but sadly no longer the case. US/China trade relations have for years been bedevilled by intellectual property theft and other developed nations have experienced similar problems.
Understandable therefore that QSA are being so tight lipped about their fuses.

Aug 23, 2021
Hi

Well done,the name is already very good.Black Night fuse.I really like this quantum bla bla.Maybe you will remember in the early 80th everything good eas called turbo, then afterwards is was digital,then a movie star became a super star and then a Mega star and now everything good is apparently Quantum.. The only problem we normal people stayed normal,what a pity.

Maybe we should develop a tablet we take an hour before switching on your stereo and then a $1000 system will sound like a $5 million system and we call it Quantum Audio Satisfaction Pill and sell it for $1000 a pop.
Great looking fuse ,has anybody listen to them yet???

Please let us know if anybody got any ideas to improve audio fuses ,anything that comes to your mind.

Please share all your thoughts and enjoy the quantum time listening to quantum music with quantum fuses.

I joke around a lot but would really be interested in some ideas,just to read what is maybe possible,the impossible today maybe possible tomorrow with great ideas and real science with or without quantum whatsoever.

Cheers and let the imagination go wild

Aug 23, 2021
Hi Barry

you are correct.Nothing is save anymore.A patent is only on paper and that paper is not even paper anymore.It is just on a PC screen .Industrial espionage is big business but always been.

30-40 years ago we all enjoyed you stereo without fancy cables and quantum fuses and we were happy.I believe that today’s great systems are much better but at a absurd price.

The exercise is to enhance a fuse without using a lot of hard earned money.Great ideas could save us all money and everybody could benefit.I strongly believe in great ideas from people and see it very often that normal people come up with great ideas.Everything is possible if great people come together and let their imagination go wild.

Let us all know if you got any ideas how to improve and make a great fuse that doesn’t cost a arm and a leg.

Cheers all

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I have played with fuses for over a decade but baulk at some of these prices being asked for what is ultimately a sacrificial component. Better for equipment manufacturers to use a breaker or thermistor.

Reactions: thomask

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I have fuses on my Magnapan 30.7s but would never spend money on exotic fuses.I don’t believe it would make much of a difference to upgrade them.

Carcrashboy

Nov 10, 2018
I have played with fuses for over a decade but baulk at some of these prices being asked for what is ultimately a sacrificial component. Better for equipment manufacturers to use a breaker or thermistor.
Now that is a great point. when you see the lengths manufacturers go to in pursuit of a particular sound/performance with more and more exotic power supplies, it begs the question why they leave it to pot luck as to the impact of the fuse.

could it be a need to meet statutory requirements across the globe, and a fuse is the simplest solution?

It would be great if we got some manufacturers input to this question?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mark, weep for me, twice that many in my Nat preamp.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, when it sounds good, don't complain. On a serious note, I object to such fast turnaround of products. I know an audiophile who literally frets as he fits new totr SR fuses, knowing he has to start budgeting for 12 months time. And then 12 months again.
I wonder if these fuse companies are allied to the Pride flag, w all those colors Lol.

Aug 23, 2021
Hi
It is not the possibility of different/ better sound of a fuse that is in question but the obsurd price for a 2 inch fuse.I got a problem with a manufacturer that changes for a maybe great fuse $2800.Just image if the same manufacturer would build an amp,it would then cost $100 million

Does anyone know where these fuses are manufactured and does this manufacturer has a history whatsoever

Valid point,some people have to save months to be able to afford just a normal fuse,but this person got the same ambition to get his system to sound as good as possible.That person got the choice of going on holiday with his family or buying one fuse.We sometimes forget the value of money.

Like I mentioned,I don’t doubt that a fuse can make a difference/positive or negative or nothing at all,I got a major problem with the price of $2800 for the top fuse from QSA.This is a science fiction price .

Yes,if any manufacturer is reading this ,please let us know what are you thinking about audio fuses in general and would you put a $2800 in your equipment

Cheers

Reactions: iain and matakana

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes,if any manufacturer is reading this ,please let us know what are you thinking about audio fuses in general and would you put a $2800 in your equipment
If i was a manufacturer i would state that that 2800 $$ fuse is a " wearpart "
That means they need to be changed mandatory every 2 years ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing