Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX First Impressions

I just spent over six hours today listening to my friend's new Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX loudspeakers. Consistent with being blown away by the Master Chronosonic + Master Subsonic system at Maier Shadi's demo in Santa Monica, and consistent with a couple of reports by people who auditioned at Maier's both the Master Chronosonic and later the XVX and preferred the XVX, I am here to report officially that I think the XVX is now my favorite conventional cone driver speaker system. I think I prefer the XVX even to my longtime favorite dynamic driver loudspeaker, the mighty Rockport Arrakis.

Prior to the XVX, my friend had the Alexx. The height alone of the XVX over the Alexx affords the system the height and scale and grandeur I always notice and appreciate from very tall loudspeakers.

I don't know why the XVX is an order of magnitude better -- next level better -- than the Alexx. But I am certain that it is.

I think the XVX is the first dynamic driver speaker of which I was very aware that you can hear seemingly almost everything at fairly low listening volumes. It doesn't need to be played loudly to be heard comfortably.

In much the same way that people like to applaud their digital playback systems by saying "it sounds like analog," dynamic driver loudspeaker aficionados like to say their cone speakers have "electrostatic-like transparency." Believe me, if most dynamic driver speakers had "electrostatic-like transparency" we would not need electrostatic speakers.

As somebody who loves electrostatic speakers I have always been aware that speakers of other topologies are one or two steps less transparent than electrostatic speakers. I feel like the XVX truly has "electrostatic-like transparency" -- at least credibly so, and more so than any other cone speaker I've ever heard.

Just like I felt about the Master Chronosonic the XVX gives one the sense of unlimited dynamic capability. There is a limitlessness and an effortlessness to the sound that I do not hear from other box speakers. Other heroically inert box speakers sound tightly wrapped or button-downed by comparison -- like some portion of the sound is trapped in the box and having trouble freeing itself. The XVX sounds open somehow -- a sonic presentation I associate with planar speakers, not with big box speakers.

I know, I know, I know. I am thinking and saying the same things you are: these are meaningless statements as you can't compare loudspeakers in different systems from fault-prone memory; you will never be able to hear an XVX versus a Rockport Arrakis, or an XVX versus a VSA Ultra 11, in the same room with the same associated components at the same time, etc., etc. I know, and I agree with you.

All I am saying is that if you put a gun to my head and told me I had to buy a dynamic driver loudspeaker system for my personal system and cost was not a factor. . . I would say take the gun away from my head. Then I would tell you I will order XVX + Master Subsonics.

Without intending to be coy, I couch this is terms of "the XVX is the box speaker I would I buy if I had to buy a box speaker for myself" rather than "the XVX is the best box speaker I've ever heard," because I cannot hear the Von Schweikert Audio Ultra 11 and the Evolution Acoustics MM7 and the Rockport Arrakis and the YG XV in the same room in the same system as the XVX + Subsonics. So it just does not make any sense to declare, and it is analytically defective to declare, that the XVX is the best speaker I have ever heard.

My view that if I had to buy a box speaker I would buy the XVX + Subsonics is a combination of what I heard from the XVX, what I vaguely remember from hearing these other other speakers in other systems, and my slight prejudice against ceramic drivers which I would be worried I might find uncomfortable over a long period of time. (I would worry the same about beryllium drivers and about diamond encrusted drivers.)

I have owned only planar loudspeakers my entire life. I literally couldn't bear to listen to Wilson Audio speakers with metal dome tweeters. I have never been a big fan of Wilson Audio speakers in general. But I thought I heard magic from Maier's demo of the Master Chronosonic, and my experience today proves that that inkling was correct.

I don't know how or what Daryl Wilson did to achieve it, but I am reporting that to my ears the XVX is a very, very special speaker. It is a stunning achievement in dynamic driver loudspeaker design specifically, and in loudspeaker design in general.

PS: Assuming they physically fit in Michael Fremer's listening room, I have no doubt that Michael will upgrade his Alexx to XVX. He might go in not wanting to upgrade, but after hearing these there is no way he's going to be happy without the XVX.

Wilson-XVX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn’t do it because he didn’t want to piss off Alon.

Maybe. Magazines have always faced a question of balance between advertisers and readers. TAS started w/out advertisers. Time and again they've discovered they cannot do without both.

Do you think Magico's relationship with TAS is predicated on no comparable product review comparisons?

Last edited:
Reactions: Down Under
. . .

Heck, I was criticized by a forum member for doing a detailed contemporaneous comparison because the amount of effort it took to switch equipment might cause me to experience "hearing memory loss" because it would for him.

. . .

Some people just never take off their cranky pants.

Reactions: tima
Maybe. Magazines have always faced a question of balance between advertisers and readers. TAS started w/out advertisers. Time and again they've discovered they cannot do without both.

Do you think Magico's relationship with TAS is predicated on no comparable product review comparisons?
And there is nothing wrong with that, its basically how every product magazine works .
As Long as you are aware of that as a reader

This includes a so called professional reviewer who thinks he has a hard drive in his head storing hearing memories Ron :rolleyes:? Door swings both ways if you enjoy mocking.

Agreed, aural memories can be deceiving. The sound that had immensely impressed you five years ago might not do so today because you have heard considerably better in the meantime.

But you still may think it is today the in absolute terms impressive sound as which you experienced it five years ago.

Im not so sure about that .
To distinguish the part that you like from the system can be more of a challenge.
To me good design is good design .
Some pieces are just classics .
Often forgotten over by people who wanna stay updated with the latest greatest .
But the people who can pick them out are able to make great sounding systems .

To speak in microstripese: I think you're missing an important point.

A review without any comparison can only speak in absolute terms and does so without reference. "Even in congested passages the ABC speaker exhibited cleaner articulation in the mid-bass."

Comparisons are not just for audiophile feelings of safety. They create context for comprehension.

Imagine if all reviews offered no comparison. The vast majority of component comments on this forum involve comparison. The notion "What's Best" inherently calls for comparison.

You are somewhat changing the sense of my words when selecting just a small sentence from my post. I am specifically addressing the so called shoot-outs and A/B fast comparisons in the conditions so often loved in WBF. Everyone knows we are permanently comparing in the long term and I like such general comments. However, as I have often wrote, unless you know well the reviewer preferences and his previous work a review is useless - I appreciate RH (and yours, BTW) reviews because I have been following you long years. This is IMHO the true context of a review.

In this hobby our methodologies are always a compromise - proper comparisons need too much effort and time and IMHO almost no one is carrying them. And I prefer absence to a misleading comparison. General comparisons for context are welcome, but people always expect ranking and unhappily people often do it.

For me What's best is a nice nickname, perhaps somewhat elitist (we, the knowledgeable and serious audiophiles ... :) ) , but nothing too serious. IMHO there is no absolute best in this hobby!

Disclaimer: as you know, I am more interested in the principles of stereo reproduction and enjoyment than in gear, although I also appreciate it.

Reactions: tima
(...) But it woulda been fun to read - a gargantuan review.

Yes surely, but magazines probably thing that it would be too much effort and cost for the fun of a few people who will never buy such speakers. Besides do you thing that fueling the eternal forum fights between the fans of two great manufacturer speakers would be a good thing for the hobby? ;)

Besides do you thing that fueling the eternal forum fights between the fans of two great manufacturer speakers would be a good thing for the hobby? ;)

Now that is an interesting and amusing question! Though apparently no additional fuel is needed. It will happen on it's own thru spontaneous combustion.

Nowadays, thanks to the rise of forums and chat, audio is as much a social activity as a solitary listening hobby.

I just spent over six hours today listening to my friend's new Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX loudspeakers. Consistent with being blown away by the Master Chronosonic + Master Subsonic system at Maier Shadi's demo in Santa Monica, and consistent with a couple of reports by people who auditioned at Maier's both the Master Chronosonic and later the XVX and preferred the XVX, I am here to report officially that I think the XVX is now my favorite conventional cone driver speaker system. I think I prefer the XVX even to my longtime favorite dynamic driver loudspeaker, the mighty Rockport Arrakis.

Prior to the XVX, my friend had the Alexx. The height alone of the XVX over the Alexx affords the system the height and scale and grandeur I always notice and appreciate from very tall loudspeakers.

I don't know why the XVX is an order of magnitude better -- next level better -- than the Alexx. But I am certain that it is.

I think the XVX is the first dynamic driver speaker of which I was very aware that you can hear seemingly almost everything at fairly low listening volumes. It doesn't need to be played loudly to be heard comfortably.

In much the same way that people like to applaud their digital playback systems by saying "it sounds like analog," dynamic driver loudspeaker aficionados like to say their cone speakers have "electrostatic-like transparency." Believe me, if most dynamic driver speakers had "electrostatic-like transparency" we would not need electrostatic speakers.

As somebody who loves electrostatic speakers I have always been aware that speakers of other topologies are one or two steps less transparent than electrostatic speakers. I feel like the XVX truly has "electrostatic-like transparency" -- at least credibly so, and more so than any other cone speaker I've ever heard.

Just like I felt about the Master Chronosonic the XVX gives one the sense of unlimited dynamic capability. There is a limitlessness and an effortlessness to the sound that I do not hear from other box speakers. Other heroically inert box speakers sound tightly wrapped or button-downed by comparison -- like some portion of the sound is trapped in the box and having trouble freeing itself. The XVX sounds open somehow -- a sonic presentation I associate with planar speakers, not with big box speakers.

I know, I know, I know. I am thinking and saying the same things you are: these are meaningless statements as you can't compare loudspeakers in different systems from fault-prone memory; you will never be able to hear an XVX versus a Rockport Arrakis, or an XVX versus a VSA Ultra 11, in the same room with the same associated components at the same time, etc., etc. I know, and I agree with you.

All I am saying is that if you put a gun to my head and told me I had to buy a dynamic driver loudspeaker system for my personal system and cost was not a factor. . . I would say take the gun away from my head. Then I would tell you I will order XVX + Master Subsonics.

Without intending to be coy, I couch this is terms of "the XVX is the box speaker I would I buy if I had to buy a box speaker for myself" rather than "the XVX is the best box speaker I've ever heard," because I cannot hear the Von Schweikert Audio Ultra 11 and the Evolution Acoustics MM7 and the Rockport Arrakis and the YG XV in the same room in the same system as the XVX + Subsonics. So it just does not make any sense to declare, and it is analytically defective to declare, that the XVX is the best speaker I have ever heard.

My view that if I had to buy a box speaker I would buy the XVX + Subsonics is a combination of what I heard from the XVX, what I vaguely remember from hearing these other other speakers in other systems, and my slight prejudice against ceramic drivers which I would be worried I might find uncomfortable over a long period of time. (I would worry the same about beryllium drivers and about diamond encrusted drivers.)

I have owned only planar loudspeakers my entire life. I literally couldn't bear to listen to Wilson Audio speakers with metal dome tweeters. I have never been a big fan of Wilson Audio speakers in general. But I thought I heard magic from Maier's demo of the Master Chronosonic, and my experience today proves that that inkling was correct.

I don't know how or what Daryl Wilson did to achieve it, but I am reporting that to my ears the XVX is a very, very special speaker. It is a stunning achievement in dynamic driver loudspeaker design specifically, and in loudspeaker design in general.

PS: Assuming they physically fit in Michael Fremer's listening room, I have no doubt that Michael will upgrade his Alexx to XVX. He might go in not wanting to upgrade, but after hearing these there is no way he's going to be happy without the XVX.
Thanks for your post Ron. I loved reading your thoughts about the XVX system and it's been hard for me to put into words what I hear when listening to the XVX/Subsonic combo. I have been an "audiophile" since I was about 8 years old (hence, the quotes). I remember being blown away listening to my parents stereo system, (a Magnavox Console) in 1966. Dad was into opera, Harry Belafonte, Herb Albert, Stan Getz but not rock, which quickly became my favorite.

I remember when at age 13 I first heard Blind Faith 2, from the Columbia Record club, on my headphones. Wow. The Ginger Baker drum solo on Do what you like - blew me away.

In high school near Boston, Bose came into the school and gave a presentation of their 901s. They hid the speakers behind two large screens. The sound filled the auditorium and I had no idea what was producing this magical experience as we kids heard Sgt Peppers like never before. I couldn't believe my eyes when they moved the screens and there were these 2 smallish looking speakers on pedestals. How is that possible I thought. This sounded nothing like the Magnavox, this was something all together different. I knew then I needed to get these speakers.

I did buy myself a pair of the Series II while in my first year in college. It was during this time I started to purchase different amps, turntables, receivers and of course a lot of vinyl - which I still have. The sound always changed the more money I spent. I need bigger and better. If I heard a better system, my system was a little less enjoyable to me. I always wanted the "best" sound. I have probably had over 25 different "systems" where I would change an amp, install power conditioners, new turntable, new cartridges, I am sure following the path of most people on this forum.

However, unlike most on this forum, I have never paid much attention to the measurements that you see in Stereophile. I am also not a technical guy so explaining why something sounds so good, or not, leaves me without the words to describe what I am hearing.

Which bring me to this post and Ron's description of the XVX. For the first time in my life I was fortunate enough to sell my company and actually afford a system like the XVX. After flying to Scottsdale to LMC Home Entertainment owned by Mike Ware - pre-COVID of course.

I sat and listened for 2 days to the XVXs and the WAMMs and I was moved. In my opinion, the XVXs seemed more present, more real, and more dynamic. Who knows, it could have been any number of reasons for this such as the amps, the rooms, etc. But in the end it didn't matter - I didn't hear a difference that would have justified paying almost $300k more.

In any case, with Mike's help we put together the XVXs with Burmeister and the SubSonics an incredible turntable and cartridge and other goodies. And this system was installed just before the shutdown. Which means that I've had about 7 months of listening and breaking in.

This is where I don't know how much my desire to "want this to be a great system" impacts what I think about this comes in. However, I do know that the XVX/SubSonic combo with 4 of the Burmeister 909s, etc MOVE me. Yes, there is a wall of sound, a wall of individual notes, millions of individual notes with texture, color and resonance. Listening to Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman on UHQR from Japan brings on goosebumps. His guitar strum resonates as though he were sitting next to me with an Acoustimass amp with a Martin Guitar plugged in a few away. The attack on the strings, the speed, the roundness and fulness of the guitar resonating on the wood inside the guitar sound like - "this sound can't be reproduced from a recording".

Another amazing recording is Satchmo Plays King Oliver, one of my dad's from 1960, still in the original packaging with a $5.98 sticker. Listening to St. James Infirmary at 82 dB is truly a gift. Satchmo's gravelly voice, his trumpet along with Trummy Young's trombone come together with a a deep pulsing textured rhythm that it seems as though I could cut the sound with a knife. In other words, it is a layered sound that washes over you. I could go on to get into other albums and streaming but in the interest of time, I won't because it would be more of the same.

I think I am truly, happily satisfied with this system - but I am eyeing the Burmeister 159s when they come out - just to see if I can hear a difference. If you are ever in the Bay Area after COVID and want to listen, I'd be happy to share, let me know.

Anyway, if you've made it this far, thanks for reading. Writing this is a bit cathartic and it's given me a time to pause and to put into words what I've been feeling while listening. Usually with a scotch.

Thanks Ron...

Thanks for your post Ron. I loved reading your thoughts about the XVX system and it's been hard for me to put into words what I hear when listening to the XVX/Subsonic combo. I have been an "audiophile" since I was about 8 years old (hence, the quotes). I remember being blown away listening to my parents stereo system, (a Magnavox Console) in 1966. Dad was into opera, Harry Belafonte, Herb Albert, Stan Getz but not rock, which quickly became my favorite.

I remember when at age 13 I first heard Blind Faith 2, from the Columbia Record club, on my headphones. Wow. The Ginger Baker drum solo on Do what you like - blew me away.

In high school near Boston, Bose came into the school and gave a presentation of their 901s. They hid the speakers behind two large screens. The sound filled the auditorium and I had no idea what was producing this magical experience as we kids heard Sgt Peppers like never before. I couldn't believe my eyes when they moved the screens and there were these 2 smallish looking speakers on pedestals. How is that possible I thought. This sounded nothing like the Magnavox, this was something all together different. I knew then I needed to get these speakers.

I did buy myself a pair of the Series II while in my first year in college. It was during this time I started to purchase different amps, turntables, receivers and of course a lot of vinyl - which I still have. The sound always changed the more money I spent. I need bigger and better. If I heard a better system, my system was a little less enjoyable to me. I always wanted the "best" sound. I have probably had over 25 different "systems" where I would change an amp, install power conditioners, new turntable, new cartridges, I am sure following the path of most people on this forum.

However, unlike most on this forum, I have never paid much attention to the measurements that you see in Stereophile. I am also not a technical guy so explaining why something sounds so good, or not, leaves me without the words to describe what I am hearing.

Which bring me to this post and Ron's description of the XVX. For the first time in my life I was fortunate enough to sell my company and actually afford a system like the XVX. After flying to Scottsdale to LMC Home Entertainment owned by Mike Ware - pre-COVID of course.

I sat and listened for 2 days to the XVXs and the WAMMs and I was moved. In my opinion, the XVXs seemed more present, more real, and more dynamic. Who knows, it could have been any number of reasons for this such as the amps, the rooms, etc. But in the end it didn't matter - I didn't hear a difference that would have justified paying almost $300k more.

In any case, with Mike's help we put together the XVXs with Burmeister and the SubSonics an incredible turntable and cartridge and other goodies. And this system was installed just before the shutdown. Which means that I've had about 7 months of listening and breaking in.

This is where I don't know how much my desire to "want this to be a great system" impacts what I think about this comes in. However, I do know that the XVX/SubSonic combo with 4 of the Burmeister 909s, etc MOVE me. Yes, there is a wall of sound, a wall of individual notes, millions of individual notes with texture, color and resonance. Listening to Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman on UHQR from Japan brings on goosebumps. His guitar strum resonates as though he were sitting next to me with an Acoustimass amp with a Martin Guitar plugged in a few away. The attack on the strings, the speed, the roundness and fulness of the guitar resonating on the wood inside the guitar sound like - "this sound can't be reproduced from a recording".

Another amazing recording is Satchmo Plays King Oliver, one of my dad's from 1960, still in the original packaging with a $5.98 sticker. Listening to St. James Infirmary at 82 dB is truly a gift. Satchmo's gravelly voice, his trumpet along with Trummy Young's trombone come together with a a deep pulsing textured rhythm that it seems as though I could cut the sound with a knife. In other words, it is a layered sound that washes over you. I could go on to get into other albums and streaming but in the interest of time, I won't because it would be more of the same.

I think I am truly, happily satisfied with this system - but I am eyeing the Burmeister 159s when they come out - just to see if I can hear a difference. If you are ever in the Bay Area after COVID and want to listen, I'd be happy to share, let me know.

Anyway, if you've made it this far, thanks for reading. Writing this is a bit cathartic and it's given me a time to pause and to put into words what I've been feeling while listening. Usually with a scotch.

Thanks Ron...

My pleasure!

Thank you for telling us chronologically about the evolution of your passion for music and for high-end audio. It is always interesting to hear about how
a person got "hooked" into this hobby.

I am totally delighted and extremely happy for you that the system has lived up to your expectations!

I suspect the new midrange driver in the XVX is a big part of what makes the XVX so special, and maybe that driver is why you preferred the XVX to the WAMM.

Last edited:
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I just spent the entire evening switching off between listening to our friend's YG XV Junior system and his Wilson Audio XVX system. The YG system is driven by Einstein hybrid amplifiers and starts with a Bergmann Galder and Odin. The XVX system starts with the Kuzma XL DC turntable, Airline tonearm and Proteus cartridge.

The YG system sounds, to me, like excellent conventional high-end audio.

The XVX system, to me, is next level. I can't explain it; I don't understand it. But it is an order of magnitude higher in sound quality, scale and believability than the Alexx, our friend's previous loudspeaker.

Last edited:
Happy New Year!

Ron, would you say the XVX speakers are the best (or perhaps your favorite) box speakers you've heard thus far?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I just spent the entire evening switching off between listening to our friend's YG XV Junior system and his Wilson Audio XVX system. The YG system is driven by Einstein hybrid amplifiers and starts with a Bergmann Galder and Odin. The XVX system starts with the Kuzma XL DC turntable, Airline tonearm and Proteus cartridge.

The XVX system, to me, is next level. I can't explain it; I don't understand it. But it is an order of magnitude higher in sound quality, scale and believability than the Alexx, our friend's previous loudspeaker.

Happy New Year Ron. Sounds like you had a good New Year’s Eve. How much of the overall sonic impression you got of these two systems do you think is about the speakers themselves? Do you think the difference in front ends and set up had anything to do with the different sounds?

Reactions: christoph
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

The YG is grossly underdriven

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Happy New Year Ron,

Maybe this year you can cut loss your Gryphon and buy the Wilson instead.

Reactions: bonzo75
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Happy New Year.

That sounds like an interesting comparison.

Were the electronics the same for both speakers? Did you just swap speaker cables?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing