Wilson Audio Maxx 3 arrived !

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
After many years without speakers from Wilson Audio, I had the chance to buy a Ferrari Red Pair of Maxx 3, so I did.

My former experience with Wilson Audio were mainly with the smaller speakers, as personally owned Cube, Watt Puppy 3.1, 5.1, 6, 7, 8 types.

At friends homes I had the chance to listen to Maxx 1 and Maxx 2 (but that time, I was not too convinced from the Maxx models)

In Germany you only can rarely find the bigger models, even dealer demos are rare.
Only chance was (still is) on High End Fairs/shows with all the constraints to find the only "best" place to listen to the Wilson Audio speaker on Demo.

In 2015 we moved houses and since than I can use 2 x 60sqm listening rooms, one for stereo, one for Homecinema.

As both rooms are in an old house (from 1856) some acoustical constraints are given, but now with the integration of some room treatment
I can enjoy them for listening music. Since than I am trying to find a good speaker system, fitting into the main listening room, with nearly no parallel walls, 6 big windows, 4 doors, soft rear wall and soft roof as well.

Unfortunatley panels do not work at all, no dipole possible :-(

Best so far was the YG Anat II Reference Professional , as the bass system was active and adjustable. All horn systems tried were a good compromise
(BD- Acoustic Reference, Zingali Client Name Evo 1.5 and hORNS Universum III)
but good not fill the room with the bass energy I like and prefer, even the addition of a Velodyne 1812 subwoofer was not fully satisfying, as the coupling frequency needed to be to high, which made the different amplifiers too clear, sound was not "integrated".

So I remembered my time with Wilson Audio, in my former solid wall room they even had very often too much bass at all...

But it was clear to me, that it must be one of the bigger Wilson Audio towers to try.

Remembering all the different Wilson Audio speakers I heard, I still can remember the performance of the Maxx 3, which was one of the best speakers for the asked price I heard, specially comparing with the current Wilson Audio prices (Alexx in Germany is 140.000,-eur) .

So I started looking for a used pair of Maxx 3 to meet my given budget.

It took some time to find a pair, for obvious reasons the Maxx 3 is rare in the markt, the next step up in the Wilson Audio portfolio will become a really more expensive one.

But ready for Christmas fun on 22'of December a pair of beautiful Ferrari Red Maxx 3 arrived.

It took a day to unpack and to install, but as I did some preparation work (as identifying the neutral zones, preparing amps and cables) we had a first result soon.

The speakers are now placed like 8 to 10ft from side and rear walls with a 15 ft listening distance.

As the manual is showing a table for 14 and 16 ft, there was (still is) some room to try different adjusting, specially , as my ear hight is below 3ft.

Not mentioned in the table is the reference of total speaker hight, using the roller casters, using spikes in different length..., all is changing a lot of the way to place the speaker.

But now a good level of room integration is given, so I could start to compare my two currently available amplifiers. Both were driven from the Koda Takumi K10 G2 with XLR cables. The VTL S-400 did a very good job, for me it became clear, that the amp likes the Maxx 3 and the other way around. I never heard the VTL amp so fast and easy going, the impedance match between the S-400 and the Maxx 3 was working properly.

But the Boulder 1060 had the much better speaker control and , to my surprise the better tonal balance in my room. The Koda K10 seem to give the Boulder Amp enough energy in the lower mids, that the combination is just right, Koda plus VTL plus Maxx 3 can sound easy a little too fat.

But may be this observation will change, after having listened to the Maxx 3 more days (or weeks). I always feel biased from the system before,
and when changing speakers I try to make them sound alike..., instead of accepting the different character and to built the other components supporting this character I try too often to change the character in something I know from before.

The first impression of the Maxx 3 is simple. This is not a horn :)
So the presentation of the music is not that crystal clear and not sometimes jumping into your face.
I love for example horn instruments on horn speakers, so you might understand, what I miss.

But what did I get?
Much higher resolution, higher level of details, but without kicking all the information out loud...
The sound is much more integrated, cannot be seen as separated into Horn section and bass , which was my problem before.
My horns systems so far were all too small, so they all had no horns bass.
Listening to Maxx 3 makes music for me (at the moment) much more enjoyable , as I am just listing to the music and not to the compromised performance of an individual driver.

With my last Horn speakers, I started to love Ortofon SPU , Koetsu and at last the Shun Mook Cartridge, now with the Maxx 3 my vdh Master Signature is back on the SME 3012 R , as it fits the Maxx 3 perfectly.

So for the most music I am listening too, the Maxx 3 is the better compromise.

But for my old Jazz Vinyls , some rare Jazz monos, I will establish a horn System in my second room, to still have horns on horns :)

A pair of hORNS Opera Beryllium Edition are arrived on Christmas as well, but this is another story in another section of the WBF.

Attachments

• IMG_9086.jpg
    IMG_9086.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_9095.jpg
    IMG_9095.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_9096.JPG
    IMG_9096.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_9104.JPG
    IMG_9104.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_9093.jpg
    IMG_9093.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_9094.jpg
    IMG_9094.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_9092.jpg
    IMG_9092.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 220

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is big news, Shakti! Congratulations!

Reactions: shakti

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
They do look very cool in that colour with your room, Shakti!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Santa sure drives a big sleigh in Germany ! Congratulations !

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations Shakti - Maxx 3 are really great speakers and you got a fantastic deal! ;) I have used them mostly with conrad johnson. They look terrific in your room.

Reactions: shakti and Lagonda

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Congratulations Shakti - Maxx 3 are really great speakers and you got a fantastic deal! ;) I have used them mostly with conrad johnson. They look terrific in your room.
would love to hear them with the amps, which were part of the deal, but sometimes you have to decide, which jewel you like to have in your collection :)

Reactions: GMKF

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Good for you, enjoy in full spirit!

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Wow, surprising but huge move, congrats!
Nice , we need more colour in our rooms :)

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
What's with the pole ? Do u listen around it?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You have to have your priorities, high end stereo is great, but a welplaced stripper-pole is important in any affluent German home !:)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

The House is very old (1856) and originally the rooms were smaller. In 1898 the former owner decided to break walls and to open a pub (instead of a bakery the family did before in the house).
So the white gray cast iron pole is a mandatory static element, as there was a wall before.
The house has two more floors, so tons of weight are on that pole!
We hope, that it will make at least one more century :) IMG_5982.jpg

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Awesome history with that building but surely u could rearrange the room.......

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic story...beautiful speakers. Congrats. Have you hooked up the Velodyne 1812 yet? have never heard but its the stuff of legend.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Congrats!

BTW - What is the current going rate for a pair of maxx 3?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Enjoy the big Maxx3's. Awesome room.

I sure do enjoy mine.

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Congrats!

BTW - What is the current going rate for a pair of maxx 3?

Maxx 3 is hard to find and rare on offer, if on sales, prices are between 30.000,- and 40.000 eur
depending on age, available crates, choosen colour, specific condition, dealer warranty yes/no.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Wonderful!!! Beautiful!! Congrats!!! Happy New Year and you will enjoy it with the new additions!!!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Enjoy the big Maxx3's. Awesome room.

I sure do enjoy mine.

any feedback about the super tweeters?
I only know them from Tannoy, does they work good with Maxx3?
Do you connect them to the main input of Maxx3 or another input?
Which vol position of the Townshend ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing