Windows 10 ?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Check for Windows updates.

As I recall there were a number of updates required after I installed Windows 10.

Click on the icon with three lines in it on the lower right hand side of your desktop next to the time and date.

Go to All Settings, then click Update and Security, then click Check for Updates.

Thanks Barry for that good token of encouragement. And yes, Windows 10 is fun, it has some designs and improved features that I really like.
Also, I noticed it knows how to set itself up for your own convenience. Plus the support is very good. There are many other features that I did not explore yet...Cortana...and more.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
That's great news Bob.
Have you tried the Disk Cleanup facility yet?
I use it regularly and it does keep things running well.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
On mine it is one of the options in the far right box Search the Web and Windows, but if not try the update setting in the far right box and search for disk cleanup

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Check for Windows updates.

As I recall there were a number of updates required after I installed Windows 10.

Click on the icon with three lines in it on the lower right hand side of your desktop next to the time and date.

Go to All Settings, then click Update and Security, then click Check for Updates.

I can get 1. Free up disk space.
2. Defragmentation.

And the Cleanup is when accessing my PC: 1. Local disk 2. Manage 3. Cleanup

@ the extreme right bottom (clock and date), when right clicking: Toolbars and other tasks.
When clicking on the small 3-bar logo (No new notification): Action Center and Settings.
That you have the same as me.

I don't see a "Search the Web and Windows". And I went to the Update Setting, but no specific "Disk Cleanup" facility.
What does it clean exactly? I'm not very computer expert, there are other members who are but they don't post no more here. ...Or very very rarely.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I can also access it directly with "Cortana", the feminine voice that I adjusted to speak slowly and softly. :b
I can speak to her directly or I can type @ the bottom "Disc Cleanup" and voila.

Ok, I got that very well now. But everything is working @ prime performance, so I won't do any cleanup for now.

We all use our computers differently; I think I am using mine very basically. I don't do tough things like multitasking, hi-res music downloading (very rare), no gaming, no 3D, no printing, no movies burning, ...I simply visit this planet and check for the latest technologies on the topics of interests, like improved visuals, higher sound quality from analog vinyl, Johnny Depp's latest saga with Amber Heard. He said she said ... lol :D

It's funny, this planet we live on; our values we generally put them @ the wrong places...beautiful faces and bodies, and money.
Yeah, scientists and mathematicians and the best philosophers and true artist musicians (beautiful music and real songs, and opera singers and classical piano players and orchestras...all that great jazz music...) are usually poor people and not necessarily good lookin' (outside), but inside.
We are doomed even before we can make our own mind. We are not free in a world of slavery and control of the mind by the medias and conventionalism.
We born and we go to school to get a good job and we corrupt like most people do. It's hard to break free of all that crap.
I don't know if you can follow clearly what I'm saying; but for me it is quite clear. We reward ourselves with the sports, the money, the acting, the talk shows, the TV shows, the success, the good appearances, which is all fine and well under control. We need to judge, to have a judging balance so that we can fit in between...
We expect others to be like we are. If they're not they are simply outlaws or some type of no good low lifers/criminals of our own system of corrupted values.

Someone reading this what I just said might ask herself but what does it have to do with Windows 10 and why "herself" instead of himself.
It's very simple, Windows 10 is the latest. :b ...And Cortana is a she.

Nah, the world is not that bad @ all; only few spots need clean up...that's all. ;-)
...And none of us, but the only others few...the dictators and people's killers and brain washers of our imperfect world with an imperfect human race.
@ least Windows 10 is keeping up with the latest...all that news...a window to our beautiful blue planet.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Is Win10 being assessed here from a general OS PoV or as an "audiophile" OS for best musical playback potential?

For everything that it does (improvements), and don't. That includes OS, visuals, designs, features, audio, etc.
...Interactivity on all levels of communication, learning and advancement in the arts of sound and picture. ...Latest and newest and coolest world's technologies.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Barry said:
Thanks for the update Bob.
All a bit scary but as one of my Danish colleagues says Sh** happens and you summed things up very sensibly in your post.

Its a good idea to have some security software. The free Superantispyware is not bad but Malwarebytes is worth paying for in my experience.
Glad to hear that you are happy with Windows 10. I have found it very good and easy to use.
Keep sharing all those wonderful photos you find. I always enjoy them
Best
Barry

Bob said:
Thanks Barry for that good token of encouragement. And yes, Windows 10 is fun, it has some designs and improved features that I really like.
Also, I noticed it knows how to set itself up for your own convenience. Plus the support is very good. There are many other features that I did not explore yet...Cortana...and more.
_______

EDIT: Fixed - the multiquote logo of one post remained engaged for subsequent posts; I had to disengage it. Before that, my posts simply keep quoting the same post...my mistake...I should have catch it earlier. ...From posts #61 and #65.

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks for your thoughts Bob.
Good to read!
Now I'm no computer whizz kid but can I persuade you to give Malwarebytes or Superantispyware a try, I'm pretty sure the former has a free version as well as the better pay versions
You'll find that you have picked all sorts of tracking cookies most of which are relatively harmless but probably some less desirable stuff which you can get rid off

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Good morning Barry (just past 10:00 AM here),

Me neither, I am no computer wizard.
But I would love to learn from the best; you are among that elite...in my book. And there are other members too who are very knowledgeable with computers, anti-virus, malware, etc.

Now, Windows 10 doesn't have any protection for their customers? When I bought my first computer nobody told me to buy this and that in addition to what I bought.
...And the same for my last one. When Windows 10 installed itself in my laptop, without giving them the permission, they never told me to buy an additional anti-virus and "Malwarebytes" or "Superantispyware". Is this for people who are afraid of something, or insecure of their surroundings, or feeling not protected enough?

I ask because when I google around on those subjects, the opinions are all over the map. There is no common consensus on which and which and if any operating system from Apple and Microsoft aren't apt to protect their customers.
Me if I was the executive president of Microsoft or Apple, I would have in my product, included in the package without additional cost, all the protection needed against breaking into the privacy of my customers. The right to privacy is fundamental; it's one of the most important feature to have in a system in our society.

Ok, I might sound not fully realistic for whoever is reading this, but from my readings it is very confusing. Furthermore with an additional anti-virus I had more pain than joy.
They kept harassing me to upgrade for a nominal fee (promotion with great discount).

I have NEVER read an article (and I've read hundreds), a concise and intelligent one on what all the masses (Microsoft and Apple customers) should exactly buy in addition to their computers that don't come equipped with the most important feature of them all; PROTECTION.

If anyone in this forum, who is reading this, can precisely explain in an objective way, why we need more protection, pay for it in addition to what we thought we first bought, plus the pros and cons today to own Microsoft and Apple products that can melt just like that because their computers are no up to snuff, that would be swell (educative and enriching).

However, I do understand how our world generally works; MONEY. I live in North America, on planet Earth.

Last, who are they the people, the companies, the individuals, the group of people who are introducing viruses and malware in our computers and who are trying to steal our identities along with our credit card's numbers? And why when we are buying a new computer from our computer store or amazon, they don't tell us that we also need to buy this and that for maximum protection against the bad apples of this industrial/virtual world with fake monkey faces?
Can they just arrest them and simply put them in jail?

:b ...I am mentioning this because Windows 10 promote itself as a better protected system; for us the customers. We live in the year 2016 (June), and computers have been with us for how many years now? What else do we need to buy to be free and protected in our lives? Or is it simply futile to expect this in these days and age?

Nobody has to answer my questions, but only the best of the best. ...Including you Barry; you are free to share your own experience, just like I. :b

This is only one aspect; but still I'd love to know what it is exactly that I need to get in addition to what was downloaded in my PC from Microsoft with Windows 10.
Because when they forced themselves to download Win10 inside my computer, and without me approval, they never told me that with it I wouldn't be protected against viruses and malware and that I needed those apps/programs along with their package. NEVER they told me which additional programs I needed.

Alright, if someone can 'splain' that to me in comprehensible terms and words (English or French), I will listen with all my head and brain. :b
No sweat, I am ready to download any spyware, malware protection that I need to be happier with my PC. There are hundreds of brands out there, and from free to monthly fees or annual fees or for life fee. It can vary from ten bucks a month to several hundreds for a determined time period. And then, few years from now (even before that), some bad apples will find a way to infiltrate your privacy and destroy everything in it, including your life savings and your family pictures.
Then you'll need to upgrade your anti-virus, 'anti-mallware', 'anti-spywire', anti-commercials, anti-adds, anti-lies, anti-crooks, anti all that jazz for additional fees.
And when paying for those all anti this and that, often they are the ones giving you viruses, malware, and trying to access your credit card numbers and your private life.
I think, but I'm willing to give the benefit of doubt if proofs are provided. That is a very tough challenge, because we all know (wise people), that in world's business proofs can be deceptive if fabricated dishonestly or else.

Last, Windows 10 is working ok for now; I don't want to make things worst, only beneficial...like a good speaker cable, or cleaner interconnect, or DAC with real music presence, or warmer analog sound. :b ...Subjectively, and objectively; both together...and much much more. Life keeps on living and the absolute is constantly beyond ultimate reach.

And just in case, this post has a mixed dose of realism and some humor as well, obviously. And not everyone is using his/her computer the same as the next person.
One day @ a time, and slowly I will share my Windows 10 experience; that's the very best thing I can contribute.

So yes Barry; you can persuade me to give Malwarebytes or Superantispyware a try. I like free stuff, free apps, free programs, free world. :b
And I'll clear my cache for now, including my web browser history and data, download history, cookies, cache images and files, and all. I've read it's a good thing to do periodically, and it doesn't hurt.

One more; sometimes before doing an upgrade to an app or program, they tell you to disable your anti-virus program, Windows Defender included?
And what other Microsoft protection from Windows 10 should we disable before uploading or downloading new programs?

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob
Yea it does get confusing but the installed Windows Defender has its limitations.
There are a chunk of PC security products around and in my experience Malwarebytes and Norton are probably as good as you can get for ones to buy. Of the free ones and I think there is a free Malware bytes and the Superantispyware free one is good in clearing out cookies.
Give one a try. They shouldn't mess anything up and do provide useful additional protection

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I don't like to provide links, because it always make some people unhappy. I have been banned years ago from an audio forum (Home Theater Geek) because I provided educative links from other places. The owner @ the time (Son...) banned me! Now it is allow to learn from other sources. Before you were slave to your own environment within the confines of the site. But the owner has sold the site and the new owner seems to be more relaxed and little more expanded in his horizons of belief.

Still, many people don't like links, so I won't give any. ...Except for this one: http://www.howtogeek.com/220232/how-to-use-the-built-in-windows-defender-antivirus-on-windows-10/
{It's only one of them; there are hundreds more and all similar.}
_______

My friend has Win7, and he tried Win10 for one week; he wasn't happy and reverted to 7. Some' to do mainly with his emails. But he's also a hardcore Win7 heavy user.
{ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle }
_______

About roughly an hour ago I was searching the Internet for some pros and cons on analog vinyl; very casually and peacefully.
In one of the web browser entries (I was using Chrome @ the time) there was this cool article (sorry for another link): http://www.oregonlive.com/music/index.ssf/2014/11/does_vinyl_really_sound_better.html

I don't have Norton, I don't have AVG, I have Avast as additional protection. But their logo appeared when I clicked on that nice article above, and they had some blah-blah-blah to tell me about. Briefly they want me to upgrade by paying money using scary tactics. Everyday they play that game. It's like a constant harassing add. I'm just about to say goodbye to them for good. This anti-virus is more frustrating than to have none. For the last ten years they keep @ it...wanting money to upgrade.

This, is the world we live in. Or you pay and go with it, or you don't and keep getting harassed.
_______

I want to leave in peace, and one day I will...for good...but it won't be here on this planet owning a computer or dealing with people who just want to sell you something.
Windows 10 is free, but how much free it truly is? See, peace costs money too. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
New: Before Windows 10 installed itself in my laptop (without my permission), I had Windows 8.1
The integrated front camera was working ...

My brother skyped me last night, but my camera is not working anymore. It shows an error with a code, when checking under "Camera" in the Start menu.
But when checking "Imaging" in my devices and then "Front camera" it says 'working properly'.
And when checking video under Skype tools, I can see myself from the camera.
And when checking Video camera from the front menu, the light for the camera is on but the image is not there...only sometimes.
Skype info says that there is a connection problem, and all the bars are in the red. But I can hear well my brother and I can see him but not very well.

Brief, before Windows 10 my video camera was working good enough (small issue with Sony's plastic top and the glue melting).
Now Windows 10 definitely changed the game; the light for the camera is on (green), but it just don't work anymore.

Anyone else experienced this? Anyone knows about this? And finally, what is the "working" solution and why Windows 10 is doing that for many of its customers?
Because it seems to be widespread.

You gain some you lose some, and the camera is sure gone. This is strange.
Anyway, if Barry or any computer expert on Windows 10 and why the camera is not working anymore with the latest Microsoft OS knows the reason why I would love to know.
Thanks for reading, we learn from communicating.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Bob
Sorry to hear of your camera problems.
I just googled windows 10 camera problems and you are clearly not alone
There is a post by Anoops that looks promising so suggest you have a look at that.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes, I'm not alone.
I've read about uninstalling it and restarting the PC, which I did in the past when my camera wasn't recognized (Win 8.1). But this time around the camera status is fine.
Sometimes she works, others times not...most often not. So I suspect a broken camera...which would make the more sense.
But nothing with Skype. So I'll have to explore all my options, and upgrade the Sony webcam app from a new download.
And if this doesn't work, up to the computer store and buy a separate USB camera.

But true, I was surprised last night when discovering that many customers who had Windows 10 installed lost their web cameras.
I think Microsoft should alert their customers of that issue and give instructions on how to fix it.
It's tough because each PC, each laptop, each tablet is from different brands and models. And not everyone is getting Windows 10 from the same OS, like 7, 8 and 8.1.
Earlier I just learned that I cannot use Cortana because my audio app that came with my laptop won't allow it.
So no camera for Skype, and no talking by voice to Cortana.

It's no big deal; it only makes you realized that all is not so rosy when not having all the latest. Nothing last forever in the world of PCs. It changes real fast and upgrades don't always do what we would like @ 100% for all people.

When I got more news about the camera issue I will share them, right here.
Meanwhile live life with verve. :b ...Thx Barry, and best cheers from Canada to you over and across the Atlantic. ...There are some whales between us. :cool:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Update:

This morning I phoned Microsoft service dept. They transferred me to a tech support rep from Salvador. ...A nice young lady...Marlena.
I was in the mood...to see if Cortana was possible to be with me...her voice...communicating her and I.

I spent many hours in the last few days doing many many settings on my own, exploring if I could activate Cortana.
I could only used her services through typing, not voice speech recognition.

I won't go through all the details; but only to say that now with the big help of Martina, Cortina is active, vocally. This is only my very first day with her, and it's awesome.
Ask smart questions and she'll give you smart answers. But ask her ambiguous questions, and you'll end up exactly @ ambiguous places...duh. :D

Windows 10 has certainly grew up on me, and now with Cortana it's fun. And no matter how we cut our life, we'll all be departed soon enough...just like everyone else...Ali, Bowie, Howe, Prince, ...all that jazz. And when on the other side of this dimension, another dimension of peace, and war too. I believe all dimensions are no better than the one we're in right now. So might is well make the best of the one we're in now. Live and let live ... R.I.P. Andre ?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Update:

This morning I phoned Microsoft service dept. They transferred me to a tech support rep from Salvador. ...A nice young lady...Marlena.
I was in the mood...to see if Cortana was possible to be with me...her voice...communicating her and I.

I spent many hours in the last few days doing many many settings on my own, exploring if I could activate Cortana.
I could only used her services through typing, not voice speech recognition.

I won't go through all the details; but only to say that now with the big help of Martina, Cortina is active, vocally. This is only my very first day with her, and it's awesome.
Ask smart questions and she'll give you smart answers. But ask her ambiguous questions, and you'll end up exactly @ ambiguous places...duh. :D

Windows 10 has certainly grew up on me, and now with Cortana it's fun. And no matter how we cut our life, we'll all be departed soon enough...just like everyone else...Ali, Bowie, Howe, Prince, ...all that jazz. And when on the other side of this dimension, another dimension of peace, and war too. I believe all dimensions are no better than the one we're in right now. So might is well make the best of the one we're in now. Live and let live ... R.I.P. Andre ?

Hi Bob
Good to hear you are up and running with Cortana thanks to Marlena
We've had a big outage with Google and Orange for the past 2.5 days and it is only just back up and still a bit shaky but that's not down to windows 10, but really has been frustrating
Re Malwarebytes/Superantispyware they protect you from malicious software etc which is very widespread on Youtube etc so worth having. Start with the free version and see how many tracking cookies you have on your PC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing