Windows 10 ?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob
Glad to hear it went quite well and the webcam glitch was sorted on a restart. I hope it all goes well and will be interested to hear of further progress.
Not sure whether the next update will be rolled out globally at the same time or whether they will start in the US and add other countries later.
Your weather sounds welcome. Similar temperature here but cloudy with sunny intervals. Storm on its way but looks like it will be further North and miss us.

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Barry, it just occurred to me; it seems that we are the only two members @ WBF up-to-date?

* The temperature reached a maximum of 15° Celsius earlier; now it's 11° and without a single cloud on the horizon. I think tomorrow is aligning to be magnificent.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
You may be right Bob.
Obviously there will be those using other OSs but WBF Windows 10 users appear to be quiet or deterred from updating as a result of the earlier problems. Installing the latest update is a 3 hour plus job but IME well worth it.
What lovely weather you are having and may it continue. When it is warm and bright it really does cheer you up and encourage you to do things.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I highly doubt that I'm right; it simply because some members forgot to read this thread. :)

* It has been a very busy and active week, on all fronts...across the entire globe.
Many birthdays right now...yesterday and tomorrow. The world is changing, slowly but surely.
I can feel it. ...Very true; with great weather comes great things.
With great power comes great responsibility.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Few days now with 1809 and it is a bit quicker overall for most activities.
I like the dark skin.

My email is slower, and yesterday I encountered Disk @ 100% ... I couldn't navigate anymore.
No big deal as I'm used to it and I simply turn the PC off.
I don't let Windows 10 put me down, never anymore...it's just a robot gadget that means nothing in real life.

Life's just too short to let a computer run your life. :)

All is good, the sky is cloudy grey and it's a bit cold today @ just couple degrees Celsius above zero.
So many things to do not enough time ... I just take it as it comes.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Finally, we are free. No more pressure, no more forcing, no more twisting our lives, no more violence, no more spying, no more control on our ways of private and peaceful lives, no more dictatorship, no more pain, no more suffering, ...

? https://bgr.com/2019/04/05/windows-10-may-2019-update-download-and-install-wont-be-forced-on-pc/amp/

Are we really free? That'll be the day.
_____

My own personal experience with Windows 10 and the last two firmware updates?
A mixbag of new features and few nightmares. Ask also the majority of Microsoft community and you are in for a treat.
Right after the last update things seem rather nice; it just didn't last.
Ask me why, I have zero clue...it could be a billion things and I'm just no expert on computers.
Perhaps my hard drive had it (3 years old now), perhaps dust contamination, perhaps it's time to get a new machine, more modern, more equipped, more expensive, more simple.

One thing is certain; Windows 10 can play all their game all they want without investing in testing first, I don't let it take over the heart and soul of all that is good in the world.
They don't want to do serious testing before their updates every six months, they don't have enough money to pay their personnel, staff, for whatever profiteering they have in mind, savings, exploiting, imposing, ...anything; it is unacceptable for their customers. That's what I truly see.

I'm very happy for the ones without complaints, with favorable experience, without annoying issues. It's similar to OLED TVs; after a certain time (shorter or longer), burn-in issues develop, firmware updates don't always fix issues, they bring new ones, it comes a time to call the technician, replace the panel, buy a new TV. Good maintenance is not the forte of Microsoft Windows 10.

What do I think? People love simplicity, good smooth operation. I think many companies today simply don't care, that's what I think. Windows 10 hasn't been smooth sailing since the beginning, and got worse as it tries to advance. Talk about a step backwards!

Edge browser keeps freezing. Microsoft expect their customers to do the work for them; and get paid for it while those same customers are left freezing in the Antarctic without warm blankets.

If it was all working without any issue and a joy to use Windows 10 I would say so, but it is simply not the case, not for me anyway. And from what others share it seems that I'm not alone.
And the best proof? ...That article (link) I just posted above.
But it's not a fix; it's Microsoft's way of saying that they don't test enough themselves before releasing their updates and now they let their customers freely decide what they want instead of Microsoft deciding for their customers. What else could they do? We/they had it comin'.

Now for the good sport of living music fun listening ...

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob
I am sure it's no fun for those who have had issues with the Windows 10 updates but I am happy to report that here in the UK I have had no problems. My laptop is a 5 years old Dell Inspiron 17SE with Intel Core i7 and all the updates have worked fine.
My broadband provider gave me an upgrade deal that I couldn't refuse and and I am getting 49/50mbps download speed consistently. I normally use Firefox but also MS Edge and again no problems with either.
Hopefully it will continue with the next update and that this post will not turn out to be a hostage to fortune.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Barry,

I did some research; after three years hard drives are pretty much @ the end of their rating.
Also dust is enemy public number one of laptops, that and heat.

I used my laptop extensively in the first two years, outdoors with the pollen, forest fires (smoke), extreme heat, ...I think my drivers are old and obsolete now, so is the hard drive.
My gut feeling tells me that's the major issue why Windows 10 is having a rough time with my laptop. It's not only their fault; they can't predict all the PC and laptop conditions out there. Perhaps they should do testing with equipment that is few years old and not in brand new condition, perhaps they do but perhsps they don't do enough...I just don't know.

I was forced to update; I resisted the longest time, till my time was up and Windows 10's latest took over. For roughy a week (the first week), it was fine, and faster too, just like for you too.
Then it started to slow down, and now for the last des weeks, and particularly the last couple days it's very bad. But, if I don't open the laptop all is good. The tablet works good enough, even if it is much more limited on features and top speed.

I think three years (when I bought my Sony VAIO, i5, it came with Windows 8, than I update to 8.1, now 10 last Fall Update done not long ago. We are in April now...the new Spring update.
I will delay it the longest possible time, but when the time limit rings there is no choice.
Even Windows 7 users are feeling what's it like to walk across two tall towers on a few centimeters diameter steel cable, and without a safety net 1,000 meters below, and no parachute and no attached apparatus to the cable. ...Only a stick to keep the balance on windy nights, blinfolded too. Sorry for my description, it's all positive fun in times of rain.

I like this thread; two users two experiences two good souls.
That's reality; we share what we know from learning, what we're experiencing with a real life approach...outside influences, natural elements, wear and use, etc.

I use mostly Google Chrome, and Edge occasionally.
My speed is half yours. One of my sisters is 0.5 mbps.

We're all different users, we can only do our best the way we work and play.
And we have our periods too, like the seasons.

Some drive every day over hundred miles, others per week, some take the transit bus, others just walk, like a walk in the park. We adapt to our environment, to traffic, to progress, revolution, to people, we evolve with our times and space. Windows 10 just surpassed Windows 7 recently, for number of users. And the bulk is not even with the latest update...that says something about both Microsoft's OS and the people who use it.
It's a bit like a TV with apps, a music library, a toy train made of Lego bricks.
_____

It is cloudy today, and a bit windy. The clouds and the winds are talking, with a fairly large strip of blue sky on the horizon.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob
As you say people experiencing problems with Windows 10 may be wrongly attributing the problems to the OS when the problems lies elsewhere. My original hard drive failed just before the warranty period expired but the replacement which is now about 3 years old is fine. I do run cleans and optimisations regularly with the Dell Support Assistant and the MS one together with regular software updates which I am sure does make a difference so you might find it helpful to do some similar maintenance.
I really don't know whether other OSs are more reliable than Windows. I do use Edge occasionally but I have not used Chrome for ages. I have an Iphone and have not had any problems with their OS. I am not aware of any serious problems with the Apple OS but I do recall that they have had some problems in the past.
I guess in the end nothing is perfect and because we rely so much on our computers these days it is frustrating when things go wrong.
I hope you can find a fix for your current problems.
The weather has been nothing special here lately. Pretty normal for the time of the year. The mild winter suited the garden with a good display of daffodills and my first tulips are now starting to bloom. Roses pruned and fed and weeds under control but always something to do in a garden!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
This morning was super windy here; I had to go outside and anchor few things.
The rain then came, and pouf! blackout (no power for couple hours).
Before the power went off the Internet was erratic; the browsers didn't respond @ times, I had to reset my devices, ...I guess the violent winds were spreading havoc on the radio wave towers, the fiber optic lines, ...

Barry, my laptop was always set for Balanced Power. Yesterday I set a Custom Power mode for High Performance. Give me few days to see if it improves things.
Because of the bad weather I cannot assess this feature just yet.

What I'm typing right now is from Chrome on my tablet. The power is back obviously, it is still windy and rainy but less so severe than few hours ago.
The Samsung tablet is working fine.

Windows 10 is on the laptop only.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob.
Very timely.
About 40 minutes ago I noticed my laptop was installing a Windows 10 1809 update KB4493509 so just let it proceed. All went well until 94% configuration when it said it couldn't complete and automatically started to undo the changes. I found that reassuring.
Opened up the update for that particular one which contained advice on potential problems and remedies none of which seemed to apply so I went to the virtual assistant which advised me to run their Troubleshooter application. Ran it but no problems identified.
Went back to the update and tried again. All worked with no problems.
I hope my experience is helpful to others who might experience the same problem which I hope as in my case will resolve itself as above.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
In the past when an update was stuck like the way you just described, I just let it sit there, and with time it would resume.

You probably noticed some recent news too regarding USB sticks or external hard drives.
They mentioned the two methods; "Better Performance" (Default) and "Quick Removal" (now the new "Safety" default with Windows 10 version 1809).

I didn't bother posting the link because I never had any issue with that in the past, and still today.
I removed any USB devices attached to the port anytime after I'm done with it, without asking permission or clicking on any type of USB settings. The only thing I set in the past is What Do You Want To Do When Inserting A USB External Hard Drive. I simply set it to Open It, that's all.

? https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-usb-quick-removal-windows-update/

* When having a USB external hard drive or stick plugged in your Blu-Ray player (4K, regular, etc.), then I try to only removing it after the power is turn off. I keep this good habit as recommended.
And I plug it on in the same condition; the Blu-ray player (any type) turn off.
With the laptop I take no measure and I never had any issue. And of course I don't remove it when it is operating; but only after I'm done.

** My laptop says that I'm up-to-date as last night. I didn't verify which KB version.
I will not verify anymore till I have no choice, no more time, to update with the Spring 2019 (May) Windows 10 firmware update. My choice is to be an "outsider" (wait till the last minute or so), instead of being a cobaye (guinea pig) ... "insider". I'd rather let others "beta test" (lab rat) first. :)
That's for computers and things of that electronics sort.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
On the waterfront of Windows 10 ...

Great job ...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...o-switch-to-a-different-operating-system/amp/

That cat above is a smart cat.

By the way things are going smooth, no issue with the latest Fall patch update (KB4493509),
no freezing @ 94% like a bunch did experience. ...Plus few other issues* ...
And I'm in no rush for the April-May 2019 Update.

* https://www.ghacks.net/2019/04/14/microsoft-confirms-two-known-issues-for-recent-windows-10-updates/

That cat on the couch...no problemo.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I just found this image amusing ... :) I think we saw that picture before, we sure did.

...Taken from the article inside of that plane (just click on the plane above ^ )

The last paragraph sounds like key to me.
But reading the comments below it kind of dissolves it.

I just don't know Barry; Windows 10 is a strange animal...Cortana, Edge Browser, Microsoft's own anti-virus, security/privacy system, competing and now joining forces with Google Chrome, insufficient pilot testing, etc., etc., etc. for the last twelve months + or so.

Some people had better luck, others had lock issues.
Also, I think we live in a world of more and more complaining and dissasticfaction with consumer products. There are many valid reasons for it too, but also more exaggerated (fake) ones.
Microsoft should know better, it's their product and their customers. They admitted to all those real issues mentioned by their customers, so this is an overall operation issue with Windows 10. ...Several issues from their updates (patches and all).

I cannot say that I am sailing smoothly all the time, no way. I blame computer's flaws build by humans who are not perfect like anything in natural or not so natural life...ice melting, climate changing, hurricanes, tornadoes, volcano eruptions, air pollution, forest fires, floods, oil spills, ecosystem anomalies. Windows 10 is only part of this global dilemma that we are all facing on our planet.

I took a nice stroll today with the dogs...this afternoon under the canopy of spring time.
Prooning and grass cutting are already operative, and daily life's maintenance. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's as if Microsoft's Windows 10 wanted you to uninstall your anti-virus of choice and use theirs instead ...

https://amp.tomshardware.com/news/windows-update-breaks-antivirus-programs,39123.html

It surely is one of the issues affecting me all the time.
I don't have to wait ten hours to get access but I have to wait half an hour on average to get things running. I'm patient so it's ok. But it would be nice for Microsoft to expand their brain over their own horizon (bubble).
Just leave those kids alone Microsoft, let them pick their own anti-virus of choice without you judging and deciding what's best for them.
____

I found this, kind of cool rework ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

The best antivirus for 2019 to protect Windows 10?
I am not surprised as it makes total good common sense ...
? https://www-cnet-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/the-best-antivirus-of-2019-to-protect-windows-10/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-antivirus-of-2019-to-protect-windows-10/

You buy a computer, it should come with the best antivirus included/integrated in it.
_____

In regards to the May 2019 Update ... what processors are required.
? https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/ar...rocessors-youll-need-for-the-may-2019-update/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing