Windows 10 ?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
You were absolutely right to inform us of this very critical issue with Windows 10 Barry.
It's a very serious one.

Microsoft is lacking big time; they are more concerned with appearance than substance (security).

Because computers number one priority is SECURITY.
Microsoft is a fail. There are no two ways to say it. Windows 10 is a fail.
_____

We had snow last night here @ higher altitude, more is coming.
The flowers are blooming crazy, the birds are playful and full of business...life.
It's a magic world.

All the world's problems disappear ...
As I type this the sun is penetrating my main window between the clouds ...

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I had to uninstall KB4535996 because it kept awakening my computer. Installed the latest patch that Barry mentioned, this morning. Haven't noticed issues yet...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The cumulative update KB4551762 doesn't appear on my PC.

This morning I had to reinstall few things as last night it awoke by itself and erased few things by itself. It has been awakening like that for few weeks now...@ least two.
Plus it had a blue screen with bla-bla-bla stuff...I could proceed or skip...I skip and had to reinstall few things. I feel like I have no control with my PC. Microsoft is doing stuff on its own and totally out of my control. When and if this Coronavirus is over I'm switching to the other side of the moon, Apple. I was going to last Christmas but from some strange circumstances I had to delay that ambition. It'll be back, it's just a question of when (Corona). And if of course I'm still alive ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I just closed my PC and reopened it; for couple seconds I had a purple screen. ...No good.

They said they are ready to download update KB4537572.
Screw that.

KB4532693 was installed last month, and is still there.
KB4540673 was just installed two days ago.

Windows 10 didn't start this new decade on the right foot, but the left one (weakest one).
And in the last few days it borders on abomination.

I've seen better days ...

I'm only reporting the facts from my deck, just the real facts.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I waited till last month to upgrade to Windows 10. I have to admit, it is still a piece of junk as it was in 2016 when it came out. Can't stand the squareness of its UI. But I need the new drivers - ugh

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have not had any issues with Windows 10 1903.
All the updates have installed and worked well.
I usually use the Firefox browser which again has worked well. I also have the Malware Bytes Premium security software which also I have been very satisfied with and not expensive. Recently installed an Intel update for mu i7 again with no problems.
I also use the Dell Support Assistant regularly, notably to do a regular clean.
FWIW!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
For few weeks in February (with v. 1909) life was just about normal...I could handle it no problemo.

For the last two weeks (March), many awakenings with the computer off; it would simply turned itself on! It must have happened roughly twenty times! ...That I'm aware of, because @ night I'm sleeping.

I'm on the latest except for one update...KB4537572 / I figure it's not important, I can wait.
The KB4540673 that was just installed Wednesday is not good for me, like also not good for many other people.
I am still waiting for a fix...KB4551762, which is not offered to me yet.
Perhaps she will after updating to KB4537572?

It is a little frustrating, and more so now. Microsoft must be in quarantine and not working @ all.

I've seen better days, but nowadays the world is crumbling sort of, from normal to very not normal anymore. It affects not only everyone on the planet but also Windows 10.
In that view it matters less that zero percent to me...about Microsoft and Windows 10's latest couple days.

But because this thread is about Windows 10 we don't mind much to keep it updated, as it relaxes us from a world in pandemonium. It takes our mind away for a moment; so I see it as a positive, but certainly not a cure. Every little flower and bird we see today count, as tomorrow we might not see anymore ...

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks for the info. I see in my Windows 10 Pro (currently I have version1903) that besides the update to 1909 there is a cumulative update KB4537572. Should I install these? Thanks, Larry

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Larry,

That was the same cumulative update ready to be downloaded for me as well.
I usually don't touch anything and wait till it automatically download itself...roughly about a week.
But right now (about ten minutes ago) my laptop turned itself on (it was off, hibernation) and I decided to check its status; KB4551762 is installing itself...12%...

When all done I'll check the status again...but right now I don't see KB4537572 anywhere.
It doesn't say if it was installed. But I didn't read anything about KB4537572, so I figure it's fine.
But wait till I'm done here and I'll tell you more by then; I'm @ 20% now (KB4551762).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Sorry Larry, WBF wasn't responding anymore. It happened few times recently, and just right now while I was replying.

First I checked by turning it off and then back on; I still have a purple screen for a second or two upon getting the picture. Normally it's not normal. Prior to March 11 things were better, no purple screen.

As for your question, again I don't see any issue with KB4537572.
But there certainly is with KB4540673, for me anyway and for many others too.
On my side it is perhaps less problematic than for others but still.

I need a rest and my PC too. Be well, stay safe, don't worry about anything including KB4537572.

I'll do a restart another day, when the sun is shining and the snow above in the mountain gone.
And hope that Corona can go away too but I'm afraid; much more by Corona than Windows 10.
We need to help each other ... in particular Italy right now. They need our support, world support...big big time.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I installed KB4537572 at the end of February with no problems, but that was well before the latest patch which as I reported earlier hasn't caused me any problems

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks, Guys. One more clarification. Do I need to install 1909 first, and then the KB4537572? or can I keep 1903 and just install the KB4537572? Is 1909 good to install, better than 1903? The reason I am asking is my computer has 1903 and says everything is up to date. Thanks, Larry

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have 1909 which I think I installed lateish last year to replace 1903. I can't be more specific because the Windows update data doesn't go that far back when I just checked which updates had been installed.
My PC is nearly 7 seven years old and 1909 has been trouble free for me. I would have thought first install 1909 and then the updates, but you could use the Windows online chat application just to check 1909 is appropriate for your computer

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The cumulative updates (patches) are exactly the same for 1903 and 1909.
1909 is simply a cumulative update to 1903.

Larry, if your PC says that with 1903 you are up-to-date you don't need to install 1909 to download/install the cumulative updates, like KB4537572.

I wouldn't bother with 1909 if your PC doesn't mention it. Just do as it directs you.
1909 is the same version as 1903, with very small additional touches.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/144344-win-10-version-1903-vs-1909-better.html

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...10-version-1909-delivery-options/ba-p/1002660

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/142310-what-new-windows-10-version-1909-a.html

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The latest cumulative update for 1903 and 1909 ... KB4551762
? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4551762/windows-10-update-kb4551762

Release Date:
March 12, 2020

Version:
1903-OS Build 18362.720 and 1909-OS Build 18363.720

Because I just installed it earlier I don't have enough experience with it yet.
But so far it feels stable ...

* Again to Larry, version 1903 and 1909 use the same exact cumulative updates.
So it doesn't really matter if one or the other version.
1909 is a cumulative update to version 1903.
If your PC doesn't mention it, it's all fine. If it says 1903-OS Build 18362.720 with that latest cumulative update, KB4551762, you are on the latest.

Stay safe, away from large public gatherings, keep your distances to people, careful what you touch, don't shake hands, wash your hands, and wear a mask when visiting Mom and Dad from the outside window. Eat well, sleep well, live well ...

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have encountered serious problems trying to install the latest Windowa 10 upgrade 2004. First tried to install it last night and failed, tried again this morning and again failed. I contacted Microsoft Support this afternoon and they have failed twice to solve the problem.
They are due to ring me tomorrow to check whether their second attempt succeeded which it hasn't so hopefully it will be third time lucky.
After each failure the laptop has been restored to its previous position which is helpful. It is a big update and download install takes about 2 hours and there is then a third stage "working on the updates"which is anothe 45 minutes or so. It was only after that stage on all four occasions that the failure became apparent.
Has anybody else had difficulties with this update or has any knowledge of similar problems?

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I have encountered serious problems trying to install the latest Windowa 10 upgrade 2004. First tried to install it last night and failed, tried again this morning and again failed. I contacted Microsoft Support this afternoon and they have failed twice to solve the problem.
They are due to ring me tomorrow to check whether their second attempt succeeded which it hasn't so hopefully it will be third time lucky.
After each failure the laptop has been restored to its previous position which is helpful. It is a big update and download install takes about 2 hours and there is then a third stage "working on the updates"which is anothe 45 minutes or so. It was only after that stage on all four occasions that the failure became apparent.
Has anybody else had difficulties with this update or has any knowledge of similar problems?

Sorry you are having a problem with the big update. My only complaint is that it takes 60 to 90 minutes.

I have updated two laptops so far without any issues and have a third in process.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing