YG Hailey 2.2 + CMS CenterStage2 LS footers : Mind-blowing!

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
By the way, anyone know if a threaded version of the speaker footers will come out? Seems an accident is waiting to happen if you simply plonk a tall and heavy speaker onto those footers...:oops:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By the way, anyone know if a threaded version of the speaker footers will come out? Seems an accident is waiting to happen if you simply plonk a tall and heavy speaker onto those footers...:oops:
I can tell you with certainty that my speakers don’t budge one iota. They are sitting on 4 LS1.5’s and I have no concerns about any accident waiting to happen

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I agree with Steve.
Please go to have a look & feel of the LS footers.
Even the LS1.0 is big and sturdy. Both the top and bottom surfaces are big and contribute to stablity way better than most of the footers in the market.

Furthermore, Joe of CMS recommends using 4 but not 3 of them underneath a loudspeaker and placing them as close to the edges of the loudspeaker undersides as far as possible.
This further guarantees stability. I don't think toppling is easy, unless being deliberately pushed.

BTW threaded version of LS footers may not suit all loudspeakers.
For example : Hailey2.2 got 3 original spikes and therefore 3 thread holes but I would definitely follow Joe's suggestion and install 4 LS footers for it.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I can tell you with certainty that my speakers don’t budge one iota. They are sitting on 4 LS1.5’s and I have no concerns about any accident waiting to happen
I think your dedicated listening room is a little less risky than my living room with kids running around and playing hide and seek behind my Goebels. the last thing I need is a 500Lb speaker toppling onto someone because they kicked a foot out by accident.o_O

Reactions: tobiasrankin

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I agree with Steve.
Even the LS1.0 is big and sturdy. Both the top and bottom surfaces are big and contribute to stablity way better than most of the footers in the market.

Furthermore, Joe of CMS recommends using 4 but not 3 of them underneath a loudspeaker and placing them as close to the edges of the loudspeaker undersides as far as possible.
This further guarantees stability. I don't think toppling is easy, unless being deliberately pushed.

For example : Hailey2.2 got 3 original spikes and therefore 3 thread holes but I would definitely follow Joe's suggestion and install 4 LS footers for it.
My understanding is that there may be a threaded version coming out sometime?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Yes, in the pipeline.
Steve please tell us more.

Or you can ask Joe directly at the WBF Center Stage LS footer thread.

Steve Williams

Joe sells adapters for all speakers

HowiebRoy.... my speakers are 720 lbs each. I don’t use adapters and I can tell you there is no way any kid can kick a foot out.

yes Joe is working on an outrigger as certain speakers perform better with outriggers

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Joe called the outrigger a "cradle".
Can be the solution for loudspeakers which have an uneven underside or having only 3 underside screw/thread-holes (such as YG Hailey & Vantage).

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Joe sells adapters for all speakers

HowiebRoy.... my speakers are 720 lbs each. I don’t use adapters and I can tell you there is no way any kid can kick a foot out.

yes Joe is working on an outrigger as certain speakers perform better with outriggers
I understand your viewpoint but it seems unnecessary to take that risk in my house if a safer version is coming out. A threaded version would allow easier speaker repositioning too.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I agree with Steve.

Has anyone done a 3 feet vs 4 feet comparison? I understand that it’s a good strategy to upsell one’s customers by 25%, but does it actually warrant the incremental spend?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Has anyone done a 3 feet vs 4 feet comparison? I understand that it’s a good strategy to upsell one’s customers by 25%, but does it actually warrant the incremental spend?
my understanding is that CMS footers are always recommended to be used in 4s. Personally I always use 3 for my footers as 4 is a royal pain if you want them all to have a firm connection.

Steve Williams

I understand your viewpoint but it seems unnecessary to take that risk in my house if a safer version is coming out. A threaded version would allow easier speaker repositioning too.
I don’t disagree. Adapters are available

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
my understanding is that CMS footers are always recommended to be used in 4s. Personally I always use 3 for my footers as 4 is a royal pain if you want them all to have a firm connection.

Yes they recommend 4, and it’s prudent from a sales prospective, but does it sound better? The second law of thermodynamics would predict that it does.

Steve Williams

Yes they recommend 4, and it’s prudent from a sales prospective, but does it sound better? The second law of thermodynamics would predict that it does.
yes. Always four for CS component feet. However for LS feet either 3 or 4. We recommend using the same number as your speaker

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
so Haileys + feet = Sonjas? I'd love to hear about someone who has done this exact comparison, not hypothesis. the Sonja is vastly different in construction to the Hailey so have strong doubts. it's not just a "bigger speaker"
Waiting for your impressions after you install your new footers? :cool:

Steve Williams

when Joe was still doing his research and development of CS component feet it was his initial thought that 3 would be sufficient. However his curiosity made him ask if 3 sounds terrific what do 4 sound like? Well it sounded far better with 4 rather than 3. It is for this reason we include a set of shims with each order

Reactions: jeff1225

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
when Joe was still doing his research and development of CS component feet it was his initial thought that 3 would be sufficient. However his curiosity made him ask if 3 sounds terrific what do 4 sound like? Well it sounded far better with 4 rather than 3. It is for this reason we include a set of shims with each order
This has been said for every single brand of aftermarket footer out there, which leads me to wonder either 1) why any manufacturer or user ever tries only 3 or 2) is it all marketing? :D:D

Steve Williams

This has been said for every single brand of aftermarket footer out there, which leads me to wonder either 1) why any manufacturer or user ever tries only 3 or 2) is it all marketing? :D:D
No it isn't all marketing nor do I see a way for 2 footers to be effective. Joe designed these initially with three in mind but his curiosity made him look at four per component and the jump in SQ was much greater than what he anticipated . As a result all CS component footers come 4 to a set. This is not a marketing ploy Robert. Perhaps you should try them rather than making a misconceived statement

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
You misunderstand (and I didn't mean to suggest using only 2; "2)" was my second thought), I certainly wasn't referring only to CMS, as my post should have made clear. But if 4 is better than 3, why not 5, or 6, especially on heavier components? And would 6 of the 0.8's be better than 4 of the 1.0's or 1.5's?

On a separate note, I don't find the LS on the website or in the brochure?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing