Zanden Audio: 3000 Mk2 Preamp Review

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) But a tube pre amp driving a solid state has it charmes. It can add something to the sound that pleases the ear. (...)
Although I could easily agree some years ago, considering current top preamplfiers such sentence becomes old-fashioned and less universal. However, IMHO one point is many times true - an excellent tube preampfier is usually less expensive than a solid state one and can represent better value for money in some systems.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Microstrip,
I’m leaning to a CH-Precision A1.5 that has 94 Kohm input impedance. But can you elaborate a bit more on the DC, transformer or capacitor type of coupling. What is it I need to take into consideration?

Most specifications refer to the output impedance in the midrange - typically at 1000 Hz. The output impedance of a capacitor coupled preamplifer rises when the frequency decreases - many of them have output impedance well above 2 kohm at 20 Hz.

Some tube preamplfiers using peculiar output capacitors can have residual DC offset - this can be a problem with DC coupled amplifiers. Although they can have low output impedance, the distortion of many tube preamplifiers rises strongly with a lower input impedance.

The 94 Kohm is a safe high-impedance - no problems from this aspect.

Reactions: RdW

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,

Unfortunately this quote means little about matching with other amplifiers - it does not state the type of coupling (DC, transformer or capacitor) and there is surely an error of translation - 7.5 kohm is not an high input impedance. IMHO half words are not enough when debating technical aspects or specifications.

However, as the D'Agostino is really an high input impedance (over 100 kohm) it will be technically compatible with almost all preamplifiers.
Thanks, Micro. You have way more experience than I do in technical matters. Strangely, when you go to the Zanden website, it does say the 9600 monos have an input impedance of 7.5 kohm...

Specification (per monoblock)​

Power output60W (class A) / 100W (class AB)InputXLRInput impedance7.5k?Output impedance2? / 4? / 8?Analog inputsXLRFrequency response6Hz - 50KHz (-3dB)Tube complementKR845 x25687WB x35AR4 x15R4WGB x2DimensionsW: 320mm / H: 440mm / D: 450mmWeight42.5kg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks, Micro. You have way more experience than I do in technical matters. Strangely, when you go to the Zanden website, it does say the 9600 monos have an input impedance of 7.5 kohm...
(...)

Yes, I saw it. I only commented 7.5 kohm it is not an high input impedance.

But the site also says that the 3000 mk II uses amorphous cobalt transformers at both the inputs and outputs. This means the 3000 mk II will most probably have low output impedance at all the bandwidth and can easily drive most amplifiers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, I saw it. I only commented 7.5 kohm it is not an high input impedance.

But the site also says that the 3000 mk II uses amorphous cobalt transformers at both the inputs and outputs. This means the 3000 mk II will most probably have low output impedance at all the bandwidth and can easily drive most amplifiers.
Thanks! Good to know.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
From the HiFi+ Review: https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/zanden-model-3000mk2-line-preamplifier/#:~:text=This gives an 8V output,long pre/power interconnect cables.

"The Zanden Model 3000mk2 preamplifier sports three RCA and three XLR line-level inputs and a single set of RCA and XLR outputs to the power amplifier. An all-valve design, the Model 3000mk2 uses a single 5687 double-triode in the input stage and a pair of 6CA4s as line drivers in the output. This gives an 8V output to the power amp, with a low 300? output impedance making it ideal for the high 7.5k? input impedance for the balanced-only Model 9600mk2 power amps, or long pre/power interconnect cables."
Zanden 3000 mk2 has 10 kohms input impedance (RCA/XLR) and 110 ohm output impedance. A single 5687 double triode is used in the main unit and a pair of 6CA4s are used in the power supply. ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Zanden 3000 mk2 has 10 kohms input impedance (RCA/XLR) and 110 ohm output impedance. A single 5687 double triode is used in the main unit and a pair of 6CA4s are used in the power supply. ;)
Even better! Thanks and good to know.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Hi Marcus,
a bit of an old thread but Zanden never goes out of fashion / interest. Did you compare the 3000 mk1 and mk2 at the time and could you comment on the sound quality while doing so.
thank you!

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Hi Marcus,
a bit of an old thread but Zanden never goes out of fashion / interest. Did you compare the 3000 mk1 and mk2 at the time and could you comment on the sound quality while doing so.
thank you!
I did compare but that was a long time ago. Everything seemed to be better but I remember Mk2 was quieter, crispier and faster with more control and contrast, better resolution and definition. If you’re thinking about which one to buy, save the time. Mk2 is a clear winner.

Reactions: nirodha

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I did compare but that was a long time ago. Everything seemed to be better but I remember Mk2 was quieter, crispier and faster with more control and contrast, better resolution and definition. If you’re thinking about which one to buy, save the time. Mk2 is a clear winner.
Hi Marcus,

I did not realize you have moved from the Zanden 3000Mk2. What is the Misho Myronov Wooden preamp?

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Hi Marcus,

I did not realize you have moved from the Zanden 3000Mk2. What is the Misho Myronov Wooden preamp?
And have you sold the Zanden?

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Thank you:)

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Hi Marcus,

Sorry Lloyd for late reply. Yes, I sold my Zanden and made a few more upgrades and additions to the system as is seen from my signature. Will report on all of them, hopefully next month if time permits and in appropriate threads of course.

If you want to find out more about Wooden Pre and Misho Myronov, check Kedar’s report:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing