May 30, 2010
Portugal
Last edited:
Reactions: bazelio

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Control "circuitry" for input relays: https://www.neurochrome.com/product/selector-x4/

33x64mm of real estate, including the rotary switch. No DAC circuitry necessary.

An important thing in control systems is the ability to switch off, hibernating most digital systems when not actuating, and only waking up when getting a remote or button signal. Unless they are using the RF digital noise to enhance sound, Tice clock style.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
An important thing in control systems is the ability to switch off, hibernating most digital systems when not actuating, and only waking up when getting a remote or button signal. Unless they are using the RF digital noise to enhance sound, Tice clock style.

I do see additional relays which might be part of that. But we're no longer talking about input relay control. And the RF receiver itself needs to be always-on.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I do see additional relays which might be part of that. But we're no longer talking about input relay control. And the RF receiver itself needs to be always-on.

Yes, I was considering infrared receivers. And it is also possible to design an analog receiver to trigger a switch-on comparator when it gets RF signals, avoiding any commutation when hybernating.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The ££ has gotta go in to something, as it didn't go in to the audio circuit. But I still see most having gone in to pockets.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The ££ has gotta go in to something, as it didn't go in to the audio circuit. But I still see most having gone in to pockets.

I can't agree with your comment. We do not know the cost of the four audio transformers and built quality seems high, components and hardware are top. Considering the small numbers produced and the usual margins in high-end, price seems in line with similar products.

A DIY minded person will always find high-end prices abusive! ;) But IMHO as soon as we know the real world of industry and trade we become more realistic. As always, YMMV.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
I have no doubt the transformers are indeed by Lundahl. No other manufacturer offers amorhous/mu-metal units in that specific form factor. And most other manufacturers do not like using the term mu-metal when describing a core containing nickel.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Yeah these too are Lundahls based on appearance. Zanden has painted over the poly caps, the Lundahls, and even the Kemet relays, I suppose to conceal their identities.

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
Perhaps so, if you enjoy a cynical attitude :) It is also possible that the damping/rf blocking covers are indeed essential. These, combined with some expensive hook-up wire may really contribute towards the desired sound signature.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
LOL. Most people are skeptical. There have been all sorts of audiophile coatings, quantum stickers, other nonsense over the years. They come and go. This is paint. They left the cap leads and flyover wires unconcealed.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'm am hoping the MK2 would use transformers good enough to not require a parafeed topology. I'd rather see no caps.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Zanden is known since long for their excellent sounding products, that represent SOTA in this subjective hobby. We have the opportunity to analyze technically one of their top products and the main interest seems to be drifting towards speculation and insinuation. IMHO it is the best way to kill a promising thread. :( Can we stay factual?

Reactions: Birdwatcher

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
Can we stay factual?

Apart from the very nice and expensive attenuator, everything else has been masterfully obfuscated. No paint or damping materials on the pot though...

As the parts bins for the 3000mk1 and 3100 are pretty much known, is speculation really out of order?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing