Zanden Audio: 3000 Mk2 Preamp Review

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
You two have never seen (except on photos) or heard this preamp and I seriously doubt you have ever heard any Zanden product, yet you have so much to say about it.

As Yamada San often says, the main difference between Classic and Modern line of Zanden products is in the quality of parts and material. But in all of their products a number of unique noise absorption and shielding techniques are used throughout including Asahi-Kasei Fibers Corporation’s Pulshut high tech, high-frequency noise absorption material to further protect the audio signal from external interference. Pulshut is what you two proclaimed as paint and then there are additional shielding and damping materials used. Pulshut is similar to the EMC & RF Shielding-Fleece Aaronia X-Dream® which offers an impressive RF screening performance of more than 100dB. So it’s obvious why Zanden puts such emphasis on noise absorption.

You can find details here:

https://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/fibers/en/pulshut/pdf/pulshut.pdf

I did experiments with X-Dream (on capacitors) in the past and it proved effective.

https://www.aaronia.com/products/shielding-screening/Aaronia-X-Dream-100dB-shielding-fleece/

Last edited:
Reactions: microstrip

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
So they painted the poly cap bodies but left the ends unpainted and the axial leads exposed. Go figure. Admittedly, when I saw a recycled text-book audio circuit, a few line level transformers, and some paint coupled with an astronomical price tag, I was triggered.

As to what I've seen and heard, I left that out because it isn't relevant to this preamp discussion. But since you brought it up, I recently had an in-home audition of the Zanden 1200 Mk3. I didn't think much of it sonically, and returned it to the dealer after a short audition period of a couple weeks. Sonic descriptors include overly-smooth, soft, and dark. Another tubed phono unit I have in for audition at the moment is handily surpassing it at a substantially lower price point. But more on that later.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
It was obvious from your first post that your sole intent here is to bash Zanden products so further discussion does not make any sense.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As far as I see it, there is nothing really new in this hobby, except the knowledge of the designers and our audiophile culture and preferences. Unless we are prepared to appreciate a true high-end design, pictures do not separate it from the creations of people who just buy a few expensive components and assemble them.

Yamada San has a long track record of successful exceptional designs, finely tuned with several proprietary solutions. IMHO he deserves our respect and my main interest is on his products and technicques, not on bashing or insidious audio gossip. Effectively, since I do not own or currently have access to Zanden Audio equipment, I was expecting to learn more than inform on this thread, we have several happy owners in WBF.

Anyway I am envious of Marcus - the Lamm LL1 has a dual knob volume control and does not have a remote control ... :(

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
TAS 2019 PRODUCT OF THE YEAR AWARDS:

Zanden 3000mk2: Tube Preamplifier Of The Year

Zanden 1200mk3: Phonostage Of The Year

Congratulations!

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Any information on how much the MK1 to Mk2 upgrade costs for both the 3000 and 9600 ?

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Any information on how much the MK1 to Mk2 upgrade costs for both the 3000 and 9600 ?
Unfortunately Zanden 3000 can not be upgraded to mk2 status. Think it’s mostly due to remote control circuit and front plate is also new.

Hope it’s different story with the 9600.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
After having heard Zanden again yesterday... I can only state that Zanden amps are the amp equivalent of Elrod cables. Can't give it a higher complement.

Reactions: Birdwatcher

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
After having heard Zanden again yesterday... I can only state that Zanden amps are the amp equivalent of Elrod cables. Can't give it a higher complement.

Which model ? More details if possible please. Thanks

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ve owned the zanden 7000 300B integrated for a couple of years and if the 8 watts would drive my speakers properly , i might have still owned it.
Great pre amp ive heard the 3000 on multiple occasions also with the 9500 and 9600.
It surely gets out of the way and is very transparent ,only thing about zanden is, it leaves a kind of silky smooth imprint on the music .
Whether thats exactly neutral and i am mistaken i dont know .
But its top gear for sure especially the pre power combined.

Ps on my system page there are pics of the zandens internals as well , fine japanese style build quality with japanese built transformers

Last edited:
Reactions: Marcus

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
TAS recommends it as pre of the year???
Thats the first time i agree with them, lol.
By the way all this zanden bashing , first hook it up listen and then talk .
Most audiophiles would do much better by putting a zanden 3000 pre in their system rather then 10 K cables .

Microstrip i think you definetively should try this combo ,it should drive the Xlf better then the lamm most likely , more authority

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Which model ? More details if possible please. Thanks
It was the 8120 power amp and 3100 pre. Leaving out the pre definetely reduced the emotional experience

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
How would a 3000 mk2 sound with a ss-amp like Dan D’Agostino, Soulution or CH precision? Wondering if there are experiences out there?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I've been using tube preamps with SS amps for decades. The key is to check that the preamp has an adequate output impedance to drive your SS amp of choice, The output impedance of the preamp isn't listed on the Zanden website, but you can surely ask them if your proposed amp is a good match. I have no experience with the 3000 mk2 but I do have the 1200 mkIII phono stage. It's hard not to love Yamada-san's unique audio art!

Reactions: RdW

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I've been using tube preamps with SS amps for decades. The key is to check that the preamp has an adequate output impedance to drive your SS amp of choice, The output impedance of the preamp isn't listed on the Zanden website, but you can surely ask them if your proposed amp is a good match. I have no experience with the 3000 mk2 but I do have the 1200 mkIII phono stage. It's hard not to love Yamada-san's unique audio art!
Hey Marty,

I was hoping you would weigh in here. I also have used CJ Tube Pre (GAT has 100ohm output impedance) with SS Class A amplification for over 10 years and enjoyed every minute.

From the HiFi+ Review: https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/zanden-model-3000mk2-line-preamplifier/#:~:text=This gives an 8V output,long pre/power interconnect cables.

"The Zanden Model 3000mk2 preamplifier sports three RCA and three XLR line-level inputs and a single set of RCA and XLR outputs to the power amplifier. An all-valve design, the Model 3000mk2 uses a single 5687 double-triode in the input stage and a pair of 6CA4s as line drivers in the output. This gives an 8V output to the power amp, with a low 300? output impedance making it ideal for the high 7.5k? input impedance for the balanced-only Model 9600mk2 power amps, or long pre/power interconnect cables."

Reactions: marty

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hey Marty,

I was hoping you would weigh in here. I also have used CJ Tube Pre (GAT has 100ohm output impedance) with SS Class A amplification for over 10 years and enjoyed every minute.

From the HiFi+ Review: https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/zanden-model-3000mk2-line-preamplifier/#:~:text=This gives an 8V output,long pre/power interconnect cables.

"The Zanden Model 3000mk2 preamplifier sports three RCA and three XLR line-level inputs and a single set of RCA and XLR outputs to the power amplifier. An all-valve design, the Model 3000mk2 uses a single 5687 double-triode in the input stage and a pair of 6CA4s as line drivers in the output. This gives an 8V output to the power amp, with a low 300? output impedance making it ideal for the high 7.5k? input impedance for the balanced-only Model 9600mk2 power amps, or long pre/power interconnect cables."
Lloyd,

Unfortunately this quote means little about matching with other amplifiers - it does not state the type of coupling (DC, transformer or capacitor) and there is surely an error of translation - 7.5 kohm is not an high input impedance. IMHO half words are not enough when debating technical aspects or specifications.

However, as the D'Agostino is really an high input impedance (over 100 kohm) it will be technically compatible with almost all preamplifiers.

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Hey Marty,

Thanks for this! It would be (maybe to) obvious to choose for the pre amp of the same brand. They have optimized the impedances, voltages and gain and so on.
But a tube pre amp driving a solid state has it charmes. It can add something to the sound that pleases the ear.
There are a number of good tube (sound-like) pre-amps and yes, listening yourself is the best option. Zanden is a good option. Robert Koda is not a tube pre amp but seems to come close. Choices, choices.

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Lloyd,

Unfortunately this quote means little about matching with other amplifiers - it does not state the type of coupling (DC, transformer or capacitor) and there is surely an error of translation - 7.5 kohm is not an high input impedance. IMHO half words are not enough when debating technical aspects or specifications.

However, as the D'Agostino is really an high input impedance (over 100 kohm) it will be technically compatible with almost all preamplifiers.
Hi Microstrip,
I’m leaning to a CH-Precision A1.5 that has 94 Kohm input impedance. But can you elaborate a bit more on the DC, transformer or capacitor type of coupling. What is it I need to take into consideration?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing