Zero Distortion: Allnic, Aesthetix, Magic Q7 mk2, Alieno, loads of carts, Vyger, Kodo Beat

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I also find the 300b rolling on the Alieno you have done with John interesting. The Psvane is my least favorite of the tubes you rolled.
I have the same opinion on the others, BUT only with the Psvane 12au7 tii (in pre-ampli stage on Alieno).

I much prefer the Takatsuki 300b's and RK300b's with Mullard ecc82 (in pre-ampli stage on Alieno). The mids are much more neutral, in control. At this moment my favorite on the Alieno is Richard-Kron300b's with Mallard ecc82. All offcourse IMHO.

Do you know which tube in pre-ampli stage on the Alieno was used?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
sounds like an action-packed few days - thanks for your thoughts.

but I still have difficulty seeing any correlation from this exercise to your proposed Apogee system. just too many variables in the analog domain.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice write up Bonzo and great pictures as well. Can you please refrain from using the term "vinyls" going forward so I don't throw my computer on the floor. Accepted terms: record(s) or LP(s)

Thank you.

Now that you clued me how to wind you up...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Interesting that you quickly discounted the LPS ( presumably a MR version..yes??) and found the Kiseki to your liking. I think what you discovered is that cartridges really need to have a certain synergy with the arms that they are attached to. Get that right and any one cartridge can shine, get that wrong and any cartridge can sound less than appealing. Add to that the numerous other variables in regards to set-up, loading etc., and you have a perfect storm to discount something that maybe shouldn't be discounted, IF it were in a different setting with a different set-up and system. Conversely, the opposite is also a factor ( IMHO)..that is a preference for one can certainly be correct given the system/set up etc., but that may not be a universal if those parameters are changed, leading again to a false observation. Very frustrating this reviewing business must be?? Because, what's really right and what's really not, LOL.:D

To add to that, I think you did a very comprehensive investigation of the differences...given the variables involved. :cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting that you quickly discounted the LPS ( presumably a MR version..yes??) and found the Kiseki to your liking. I think what you discovered is that cartridges really need to have a certain synergy with the arms that they are attached to. Get that right and any one cartridge can shine, get that wrong and any cartridge can sound less than appealing. Add to that the numerous other variables in regards to set-up, loading etc., and you have a perfect storm to discount something that maybe shouldn't be discounted, IF it were in a different setting with a different set-up and system. Conversely, the opposite is also a factor ( IMHO)..that is a preference for one can certainly be correct given the system/set up etc., but that may not be a universal if those parameters are changed, leading again to a false observation. Very frustrating this reviewing business must be?? Because, what's really right and what's really not, LOL.:D

To add to that, I think you did a very comprehensive investigation of the differences...given the variables involved. :cool:

Thanks.

The LPS was not compared to the Kiseki but to vDH and Atlas. I have heard the LPS MR against Zyx 4d with the Moerch DP8 arm (where you can quickly change wands to have carts pre set up) and preferred the Zyx. At Sven's (forget his forum id, report to be included in a big cartridge write-up) I preferred the Benz LPS Mr to Lyra Titan, Anna and colibri though all with different arms, on the TW Raven. But - while Benz is good, i don't think it is a must have. Also, if separate carts on the body/transparency spectrum, Lyra and vdh and red sparrow are those with high transparency, liquidity, speed, highs. There are differences between them but these are common. And then we have LPS, Zyx, Etsuro Urushi types which have more body. Sometimes when Lyra types sound analytical and thin, the other group sounds good. There are other differences, but based on this thin/body spectrum, I think you might prefer one or the other in certain systems.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . Sometimes when Lyra types sound analytical and thin, the other group sounds good. There are other differences, but based on this thin/body spectrum, I think you might prefer one or the other in certain systems.

This makes good sense to me. The instances in which I have minded least the analytical and thin sound (to my ears) of Lyras* were warm-tilting, all-tube systems.

*Etna SL has three times now sounded less analytical and thin to me than the typical Lyra "house sound." In each case, in those systems, I never would have guessed I was listening to a Lyra cartridge.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, are these the Alieno OTLs you had an interest in once?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Thanks.

The LPS was not compared to the Kiseki but to vDH and Atlas. I have heard the LPS MR against Zyx 4d with the Moerch DP8 arm (where you can quickly change wands to have carts pre set up) and preferred the Zyx. At Sven's (forget his forum id, report to be included in a big cartridge write-up) I preferred the Benz LPS Mr to Lyra Titan, Anna and colibri though all with different arms, on the TW Raven. But - while Benz is good, i don't think it is a must have. Also, if separate carts on the body/transparency spectrum, Lyra and vdh and red sparrow are those with high transparency, liquidity, speed, highs. There are differences between them but these are common. And then we have LPS, Zyx, Etsuro Urushi types which have more body. Sometimes when Lyra types sound analytical and thin, the other group sounds good. There are other differences, but based on this thin/body spectrum, I think you might prefer one or the other in certain systems.
And maybe the homemade very long tonearm favors the lighter cartridges, the Benz is overweight little sucker.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This makes good sense to me. The instances in which I have minded least the analytical and thin sound (to my ears) of Lyras* were warm-tilting, all-tube systems.

*Etna SL has three times now sounded less analytical and thin to me than the typical Lyra "house sound." In each case, in those systems, I never would have guessed I was listening to a Lyra cartridge.

I would rather get the Atlas for the Lyra house sound than the Etna. Lyra has some special traits other carts don't. If one does not like what Lyra does they should go outside the Lyra house, not to Etna, imo

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I also find the 300b rolling on the Alieno you have done with John interesting. The Psvane is my least favorite of the tubes you rolled.
I have the same opinion on the others, BUT only with the Psvane 12au7 tii (in pre-ampli stage on Alieno).

I much prefer the Takatsuki 300b's and RK300b's with Mullard ecc82 (in pre-ampli stage on Alieno). The mids are much more neutral, in control. At this moment my favorite on the Alieno is Richard-Kron300b's with Mallard ecc82. All offcourse IMHO.

Do you know which tube in pre-ampli stage on the Alieno was used?

I remember Taks sounding good in your system, but I liked Elrog there too. Dunno what was used in the NAT

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I remember Taks sounding good in your system, but I liked Elrog there too. Dunno what was used in the NAT

You don't understand me, i mean the small tubes next to the 300b on top of the Alieno (in the middle).
So i mean the RK300b and Tak300b sound different/better when used with the Mullard ecc82 all on top of the Alieno, (so not in the NAT). Imho.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh ok now understand

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He had Psvane ecc82. Guess those can be changed too

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I see you got the guy to change cartridges for you ;), what are all those clips for?

david

The clips are for grounding wires in case of hums

Gardener

Sep 23, 2017
Bonzo
What did you think of the Q7 speaker?
I think you have heard S5 and M3
I am a great believer in Magic and tubes

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Bonzo

Also interested to hear Bonzo's thoughts, particularly as he heard some of the later YGs which also make a real point of emphasizing their detail, delineation, extreme low-distortion. Note, this is the Q7II which i am told has a different voicing to the original.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
He had Psvane ecc82. Guess those can be changed too

Yes that is what i thought, and with those small Psvane's the Elrogs sounds best.
But with the small Mullards the RK300 and Taks sounds better, IMHO. I will let you hear when you come later this year (when AF3p is finaly here).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo

I have heard S3, S5 mk2 and mk1, S1 mk2, two M3s, Q5, this one. In proper set ups. Also there was an old M5, and the minis.

What music are you into, amplified or classical? What is your speaker taste?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing