bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You should post some of your recordings

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Obviously I wasn’t there but the vids certainly had upper extension.

I would like to see the measured specs of that field coil GIP tweeter horn - must go to 18khz minimum. I tried to find data earlier but couldn’t see anything online.
I think that tweeter horn is dead before 15khz.
Sorry, am basing my judgement on sitting there not after hearing my recordings on the phone. I said look at the recordings to see the range of music played and the extension in case you were unable to hear it properly. You mentioned, wrongly, in another post that it was good for limited music
i was also obviously sitting there as I made the recordings and heard what I and many others I talked to heard. Limited extension on violins, for example. On solo piano it was perhaps the best I have heard except for weight on the left hand. Violin beautifully executed but a bit lacking air. When orchestra kicked in it was weakest because it lacked the weight of the real thing. Nonetheless, had the gestalt of the real thing, which is why I went there four times.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Did you hear the reggae mix? Or the recording I pot up with the bass? Or whole lotta love?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is also possible you heard the replica at some stage which was rolled off at 15

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Ked - the Vox Olympian recording you posted sounds much more rolled off and heavily muffled through lower mids (due to that sub woofer imho) versus the WE clips imho. Was that your impression or is it iPhone vids?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked - the Vox Olympian recording you posted sounds much more rolled off and heavily muffled through lower mids (due to that sub woofer imho) versus the WE clips imho. Was that your impression or is it iPhone vids?

It was worse in person.. The phone reduces the positives of the WE and the negatives of others difference in person are higher. The one at the top and rest at the bottom are extended more either way.

Also, the soundstage on the Shostakovich was way wider, with iPhone it is a bit closed in, possibly mic is weaker on that from a distance

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The other thing is WE had a variety of sources apart from two speakers. While the second speaker and digital were played less, they played a bit of tape, the Schick with two Vdh's on different headshells straight to MC, and the Schroeder with Vdh into MM through a SUT that was also in the Devore room.

Personally, in this case I thought the Schroeder, maybe because of the SUT, was a bit colored than the schick. So if Brad wasn't staying enough for long to observe all that, he could have missed what was playing through what

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I thought the WE was missing a bit of vividness(focus separation).Could have been the size of the room though. A big horn system should exhibit a command presence. I just felt the system fell short.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I thought the WE was missing a bit of vividness(focus separation).Could have been the size of the room though. A big horn system should exhibit a command presence. I just felt the system fell short.
You mean live or on Keds phone recordings?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Ked's iPhone recordings...I'm sure Roger commented on the music from the short videos.

And from those short videos I too wasn't impressed by the WE room and sound.
I think Ked can do better; he is a much better writer than a music video recordist.
But I also understand that this wasn't the goal. It's quick with an iPhone, he was sharing with us, and I commend him for it...it gives us a glimpse.

Reactions: RogerD

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Reactions: NorthStar

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked's iPhone recordings...I'm sure Roger commented on the music from the short videos.

And from those short videos I too wasn't impressed by the WE room and sound.
I think Ked can do better; he is a much better writer than a music video recordist.
But I also understand that this wasn't the goal. It's quick with an iPhone, he was sharing with us, and I commend him for it...it gives us a glimpse.

Oh I don't know anything about good recordings nor was I planning to do it.

However as I whatsapped the videos to some friends (who have similar system and music tastes) it became clear they were relating well to what I was sending. Extrapolation for them from video to real was easier than I expected

I think a lot of video listening has to do with extrapolation abilities. A video in itself is not impressive, it depends how you use them. If you look at my WE videos, the various genre of music, non audiophile that they were playing becomes clear. Then you move to pink Floyd and dhik chak in other systems. You compare the same music through three different speakers. Some things become clear.

Moreover, Munich itself is a compromise, like videos. You have to go to a room and listen under sub optimal conditions. Listen to the music playing from the other room in that JC Morrison talk video.

Then there are two camps... One that comes back from Munich fantasizing about WE. The other comes back and says I could not relate to this sound and the Magico Rockport etc rooms were the best. I think these videos are more than sufficient for someone listening to them to decide which camp of people he associates with. You should then follow the posts of the people you associate with.

The musical threads connecting similar systems like Blumenhofer, Odeon, and the differences with others is also evident.

Some actually use Stockfisch types cuddly sound for evaluation

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
After watching your videos, I really want a system that can accurately portray sneezes and coughs.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
After watching your videos, I really want a system that can accurately portray sneezes and coughs.
I got a couple high Rez recordings of those!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I got a couple high Rez recordings of those!
There's nothing like a nice horn system to make a sneeze forty feet wide and twenty feet tall.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
All this nonsense from people who were actually there. How about a "YouTube Best Sound In Show"?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
There's nothing like a nice horn system to make a sneeze forty feet wide and twenty feet tall.
Isn't how it works when it's done right...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing