“Wet playing” records

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Over the years there have been devotees of “wet playing” records - either with the old Diskwasher, or through other methods to leave a barely traceable bit of moisture in the grooves for playing the record. Even I did it for a while in the 20th Century. It did admittedly make for quieter playback, but have we learned anything since those days to either support its use, or determine it does more harm than good? @tima, @Neil.Antin, I’m of course interested in your thoughts on this, as well as from others. Neil, apologies in advance if there’s already something in PACVR about it.

Tony,

Wet playing will avoid any static issues since the moisture will dissipate any static. The wet play can also damp (slow) the stylus response that could benefit badly worn records. But, at the groove level there is likely going to be a mist formed that can get into the cartridge which for moving magnet may not be too bad; moving magnet is a pretty robust design. But the same cannot be said for a moving coil, which is not as robust a design, with some with delicate wires exposed and inside is very delicate. For a moving coil I cannot see anything but a bad outcome. Otherwise, the book makes no mention of wet playing (nor will it ever LOL).

If you had an old record that you wanted to transfer to digital, then wet playing with a robust design moving magnet with cheap stylus could be an option but understand that the aluminum cantilever (unless anodized) could be subject to corrosion, but if using a cheap replaceable stylus, it could just be a price to pay.

Take care,

Neil

Thanks @Neil.Antin. I guess that’s why, back in the day before I was using MCs primarily, it never seemed to cause an issue. :)

Over the years there have been devotees of “wet playing” records - either with the old Diskwasher, or through other methods to leave a barely traceable bit of moisture in the grooves for playing the record. Even I did it for a while in the 20th Century. It did admittedly make for quieter playback, but have we learned anything since those days to either support its use, or determine it does more harm than good? @tima, @Neil.Antin, I’m of course interested in your thoughts on this, as well as from others. Neil, apologies in advance if there’s already something in PACVR about it.

If you do it (shudder) use distilled water. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu