A new signature ...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am hearing great things about Pilium from a lot of different places. I have no fear for you on that score. It is not a question sensational from what I understand...but how sensational and in what ways. Look forward to your impressions.

Reactions: Bobvin

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
All I can say, after all this time and investment... IT BETTER NOT SUCK! :p

I'm not too worried, I've heard the Roma and Botticelli now with the Pilium pre-amp, and I can't imagine mighty Achilles will do anything other than polish and put a stamp on the glorious sound coming from the Alexander. I'm coordinating with my audio buddies, mighty (heavy) Achilles weighs in @ 265 lbs.
I am sure it not gonna suck. But if it is a little smelly we just say it secretly off this forum. ;)

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Keeping the tease alive... Botticelli X. I can say this... if ever a speaker had a high WAF, the Botticelli are "loved" by my wife. Sure, she loves the sound too, but she really loves the look.

And let me say, out of the box (they are still on sliders) these promise to be something very special. I've not had a speaker in my room before that goes this deep—essentially flat 22hz–40khz.

View attachment 82527
May I ask what are the dimensions of your listen room? And any specific room treatments?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
May I ask what are the dimensions of your listen room? And any specific room treatments?
The room is ~ 29’ x 20’ x 9.5’. The width is average in some spots 22’ wide, other spots more like 18’.

You can learn about the history of my room and its acoustic remodel in my original thread

'Wilson & ARC for me...'
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/wilson-arc-for-me.15727/

and starting on page 3 of that thread you can see what all was done in the service of the acoustic signature of the room.

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
The room is ~ 29’ x 20’ x 9.5’. The width is average in some spots 22’ wide, other spots more like 18’.

You can learn about the history of my room and its acoustic remodel in my original thread

'Wilson & ARC for me...'
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/wilson-arc-for-me.15727/

and starting on page 3 of that thread you can see what all was done in the service of the acoustic signature of the room.
Thanks! Eventually I will build a specific "audio room" and curious to know what dimensions and set ups have been working for certain brands/types of equipment.

Reactions: Forte

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
At last, after a long and perilous journey round the globe, Mighty Achilles has found his new home In the forests of Oregon.

And out of the box… IT DOESN’T SUCK!

753ACD3A-6628-4BEC-971B-FCC17529D16A.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: Bobvin

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
@ Bobvin may be you should loan it temporarily to marty.
It looks like a big powerhouse ;)
... and this is "only" the stereo version :eek:
There are also Monos of this size :p

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
... and this is "only" the stereo version :eek:
There are also Monos of this size :p
Ie,

I am going to drive my M9s with two Achilles stereo amps (4 channels of amplification which is required for the M9s). You can drive the M9s with either four monos or two stereos, just so you have four channels.. The Achilles stereo is a beast and all that is needed sonically, but the monos look cool:) Although my room is not as wide and I like the look of two Achilles vs the four monos.

Attachments

• M9_MagicoRoom-2.jpg
    M9_MagicoRoom-2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Morning light…

Some will scoff at the idea of so much glass, but there’s no way I’ d give up the view, or having “natural” light. (When the room was engineered, Bonnie said she could design around one reflective wall/surface. The acoustic curtains play a big roll.)

D6BAEEEC-732C-4619-86AF-26FE1D541FA6.jpeg

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Morning light…

Some will scoff at the idea of so much glass, but there’s no way I’ d give up the view, or having “natural” light. (When the room was engineered, Bonnie said she could deign around one reflective wall/surface. The acoustic curtains play a big roll.)

View attachment 82663
Alsyvox are FINE with a reflective back wall. They prefer it vs. a dampened wall. With Diesis and Bayz pretty much the same. Won't be giving up anything sonically and you have the magical view as well!!!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Bob, it's great that the acoustic curtains on tracks allow you to add absorption experimentally and incrementally, if desired.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Ie,

I am going to drive my M9s with two Achilles stereo amps (4 channels of amplification which is required for the M9s). You can drive the M9s with either four monos or two stereos, just so you have four channels.. The Achilles stereo is a beast and all that is needed sonically, but the monos look cool:) Although my room is not as wide and I like the look of two Achilles vs the four monos.
Vertical bi-amping with 2 stereo amps still give you absolute channel separation ! And the same sound signature from all channels. :)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Vertical bi-amping with 2 stereo amps still give you absolute channel separation ! And the same sound signature from all channels. :)
That’s the plan. I’ve done it since the 80’s many times. I’ve always liked it as long as the speakers did not need mono power.

Reactions: Lagonda

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Bob, it's great that the acoustic curtains on tracks allow you to add absorption experimentally and incrementally, if desired.
Hey Ron, when the room was first complete I did monkey around with curtains in various degrees of open/closed. Fully closed the room feels a little bit too damped and loses some sparkle — a bit too “home theater-esque” plus, the floor to ceiling pleats are a little disorienting to look at (at least to me). I settled on the positions you can see in the picture, and so far with the Diesis and the Alsyvox the sound is, IMHO, glorious! As I said to Bob @ Rhapsody… “f’ing hell those Botticelli are AMAZING speakers.”

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing