A world first? Passive v active isolation platforms test

I enjoy aspects of my digital setup and have an excellent sound but no matter how good the hardware gets it can't change the nature of the beast and at the end of the day it's still digital to me. Like tofu that will never taste like meat to me.

david

There are two steps to making good Tofu
Step 1. Throw it in the trash
Step 2. Grill real meat

Same with digital

. . . It's really possible to get digital to play on analog's territory of midband and upper bass tone density and texture.
As a long term fanboy for vinyl (the number of people I bored to death about my hate for digital in the 80s is pretty high), I never thought I'd EVER be saying this.
I'll keep squeezing that digital lemon

With all respect, Marc, I think it has been so long since you have listened in your system to vinyl played on a properly set-up turntable system that you have lost in your mind and ears the analog reference point. Once the analog reference becomes fuzzy it becomes easier and easier to enjoy digital, especially if you are making improvements to the digital playback system along the way.

Hi David,

Ok, got the point, thank you for the explanations! I've never had a Schwingrahmen as I've chosen my own way and never looked back.

No, no, this is not what I meant. It is not a constant addition. This vigor appears when needed (i.e. when the material calls for it)
and not being there constantly! The first impression is to the opposite that HF is calmed down, smoothened and in peace.
Sorry, English is not my mother tongue and explaining this
self-contradicting feelings is a pain. Its a bit like looking at a girl: Calm and peaceful but you feel that she can explode with emotions at some moment.
Not emotionally lazy so to speak.
And no, no hardening at all. We've heard it while experimenting but looks we have found a way how to deal with it. At least we never heard any complaint about hardening
from our customers/test listeners.

May be, still it's strange that the industry would go into all that hard core information/error correction theory instead of "simply" taking care of the drive-reader feedback.
Our CLD slate does seem to positively affect the resonance structure of a cabinet that's placed on it and the tighter the coupling the better (Marc has been reporting on that too).
For hard core customers we can even offer threaded inserts in the top plate
to bolt their equipment to the platform.

Great example with the camera. And hope to test our platforms one day in high quality photography too!

Best,

We both know that good digital engineers generally aren't good mechanical engineers :). If you look at the best transports going all the way back to the Barclays, Levinson 30, Forsell, CEC TL-0 they all have very well built suspensions for the drive unit and high mass to isolate and dampen vibrations very much like a high end turntable but you need to have the knowledge and accept the additional complication and costs which not all manufacturers are equally able.

You might have hit a better solution with rollerballs than I did but I don't buy into the when needed comment. There's no autonomous self aware brain making instantaneous decisions to turn on the effect in right quantities as needed with these type of devices, their effect is a constant.

david

Ron, I have been keeping some analog input going, incl some very nice setups indeed.
And after two decades of hardcore lp listening on progressively more impressive tts, I can say I know EXACTLY what makes analog unique, and what digital falls short on.
And I can tell you that the delivery of unadulterated rel hash free power synergising w vibration and mechanical noise management from the Stacore w 100m plus of dedicated lines, 15m of 18mm SWA copper feed seperate from domestic and 85kg of toroidal coil opening up after months of burn in, is transforming my digital by maxxing that midband/upper bass tone density.
Similarly you have to be open to the fact you'll never accept digital can get anywhere close to the analog experience, and that's biasing yr thoughts on digital.
I'm here to say I'm experiencing this right now.
But it's taken two decades general upgrading to find the one digital that has tonal variation between recordings to start as good analog does routinely and then a massive effort to unlock its potential even further.
Now when my tt/arm gets reinstalled on the Stacore w optimised Straingauge, I'll know if it's a sound I'm happy with or whether I need to investigate a final final tt alternative.
And it'll be my rejuvenated digital that sets the bar in some respects
---
And it's relevant that I've had verification from someone emminent here who knows my cdp and SOTA streamer/dac combos that it takes max effort on power treatments to his top rig at multiples of the price to truly outclass my humble $10k Eera 16/44 cdp.
That's why I'm confident I'm already managing a top sound before what Stacore and power/hash treatments are bringing out extra from the player.

Last edited:
We both know that good digital engineers generally aren't good mechanical engineers :). If you look at the best transports going all the way back to the Barclays, Levinson 30, Forsell, CEC TL-0 they all have very well built suspensions for the drive unit and high mass to isolate and dampen vibrations very much like a high end turntable but you need to have the knowledge and accept the additional complication and costs which not all manufacturers are equally able.

Very good examples! Hope to test one day our platforms under one of those transports to see what we can do.

You might have hit a better solution with rollerballs than I did but I don't buy into the when needed comment. There's no autonomous self aware brain making instantaneous decisions to turn on the effect in right quantities as needed with these type of devices, their effect is a constant.

No need for any other brain than the recorded material ;)

Cheers,

If going into food analogy I would be tempted to think about vinyl like juicy meat, digital like an exquisite deep sea fresh fish ... :D

Fish aren't meat substitute or labeled with as good as meat, digital is the tofu, all it aspires to be is more analog :)!

david

Last edited:
Fish aren't meat substitute or labeled with as good as meat, digital is the tofu, all it aspires to be is more analog :)!

david

And tofu has to be fried with garlic, salt, dried chili, etc. to be tasty. :p

Tang

And tofu has to be fried with garlic, salt, dried chili, etc. to be tasty. :p

Tang

Nothing touches Thai food Tang, now you got me craving a good Gewteow with Lukchin and Nua Sot, hmmmmmm :p!

david

david

David,

No, digital does not aim to be more analog - it is another way of having sound reproduction, that in some aspects exceeds analog. Soon in another thread I will give examples with recordings and details - not just saying it is better. But now I am going to listen to the just arrived Lamm M1.2 REF's that are warming up. But first impressions are damned good - even cold voices are great!

Stacores, Sablon Elites power cords, just getting my digital to dish up that midrange magic that up to now has SO been the absolute preserve of good analog.
This does nothing other than inspire me to get the best out of my current analog or push on for a better tt/arm.
And yes, unpalatable as it is to analog diehards, I do plan to use my impvd digital as somewhat of a benchmark in my choice of any future analog/reason to stay current analog.
With my tt going on the Stacore and Elite pwr cord going on my new bespoke psu for Straingauge energiser, I'm really chomping at the bit to play my first lps in more than 18 months.

(...) Once the analog reference becomes fuzzy it becomes easier and easier to enjoy digital, especially if you are making improvements to the digital playback system along the way.

Ron,

I completely disagree - once you go back to analog and find aspects in digital that analog does not match we enjoy digital much more. But yes, analog also has some aspects where it is a winner, particularly if we live in a diet of directs cuts.

The important is that we should enjoy what we prefer.

Hey guys, no forum claiming to be "Best" should even contemplate mentioning Tofu.
For me, these changes to digital midband/upper bass density, coupled w continued exposure to live unamplified, is a real treat and education.
And will direct me exactly where I need to go w my analog.
Find I get lucky and my rig on Stacore just blooms and maintains a quality advantage over my new impvd digital.
Find I'm unlucky and my rig falls short of my new benchmark.
Proceed to another shortlist of gear to audition.
Whatever the outcome w my analog comparison, I have digital now that is textured, evocative and truly connects w me.
And hence a new music collection.

Ron,

I completely disagree - once you go back to analog and find aspects in digital that analog does not match we enjoy digital much more. But yes, analog also has some aspects where it is a winner, particularly if we live in a diet of directs cuts.

not so sure that there is not more in common, in degrees, than we might think between analog and digital at the top of the food chain. considerable diminishing of differences, is the trend I'm hearing.

but can't really paint with broad brushes....have to look closely at particular cases.

Ron,

Not at all my experience Francisco and I rarely if ever listen to direct cuts or audiophile releases; TOFU :D!

david

Mike, everything is recoding dependent.
No amount of digital impvt will polish the audio turd that is Adele 25.
Here, the vinyl is more like a "stomach ache" versus the digital "need to hit the toilet...and fast" LOL NOT!
And on the very best recorded stuff, vinyl will maintain an other-worldliness that again makes digital seems more Earthbound.
It's in the 90% of material in the middle that really matters.
And that's my library.
If my uber enhanced and maxxed out digital can make my Porcupine Tree and Magma cds have the textured and nuanced midband that my other prog on vinyl has, this is a triumph of spectacular proportions.
Listening to cd boxset Jethro Tull's live classical arrangement sessions for Warchild, a typical 70s dry recording session, and there are moments of saturated tone w full agility I would swear I'm listening to vinyl.

"Hey guys, no forum claiming to be "Best" should even contemplate mentioning Tofu."

"Not at all my experience Francisco and I rarely if ever listen to direct cuts or audiophile releases; TOFU :D!"

I feel discriminated here :D

"Hey guys, no forum claiming to be "Best" should even contemplate mentioning Tofu."

"Not at all my experience Francisco and I rarely if ever listen to direct cuts or audiophile releases; TOFU :D!"

I feel discriminated here :D

An excerpt from the article:

"Soi is actually one of most commonly genetically modified foods in the world, and tofu is made from soybeans, water and a coagulant, or curdling agent." Sounds like a perfect description of digital to me.

https://draxe.com/what-is-tofu/

SUN-CLOUD-Cute-Soft-Squishy-Chinese-Tofu-Adorable-Expression-Smile-Face-Phone-Strap-Good.jpg

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu