Abbas dac 2.1 se

I'd certainly like to try one of his triode 6080 DACs at some point but whether it would beat my Acuhorn I don't know.

As an aside I recently took my Acuhorn to a Lampizator dealer to compare. We tried it Vs the Poseidon and again a Pacific 2.

Vs the Poseidon the Acuhorn (with PX4 tubes) was superior.

The Pacific was marginally but audibly superior, as expected given the high cost.

Reactions: Artnet and cal3713
The Pacific was marginally but audibly superior, as expected given the high cost.
What I think is interesting is that Abbas seems to buck the conventional thinking that higher cost = better SQ.

We did a blind A/B, single elimination with a group of 50 people and the Abbas kit dac (~$700) beat out everything. Including a mid level Lampi and a $20k dCS Rossini.

This was on a higher efficiency (98dB) horn system

What I think is interesting is that Abbas seems to buck the conventional thinking that higher cost = better SQ.

We did a blind A/B, single elimination with a group of 50 people and the Abbas kit dac (~$700) beat out everything. Including a mid level Lampi and a $20k dCS Rossini.

Can you remind me again which kit you've got?

Reactions: limberpine
Can you remind me again which kit you've got?
The kit we used in the A/B was a kit with the AD 1865 chip in it.

I have a 2.0 kit, with 6bl7 output, but it's not put together yet.

I also have a 4.0 gold with the PCM-58P chip and the output stage of this DAC is a copy of Kondo's Audio Note SRPP stage, based on matched 6bl7 tubes.

Reactions: Artnet and cal3713

Which Abbas dac was used? You mention a kit, what specs and output stage?

Sounds like a really interesting session.

Reactions: limberpine
Not a fan of any 9 pin tubes TBH. There is a reason he uses 6080 in his higher end dacs.

Great article on the benefits of the 6AS7/6080.

Anyone got any more info on the PSYCHE Signature dac?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu