Abbas dac 2.1 se

This is an extremely capable board with FPGA and Fifo reclocking.

Also, as Lampizator would no doubt agree, and Abbas for that matter, it's the implementation of the output stage that fundamentally impacts the sound.

Obviously there is a difference of opinion on the conversion, with Abbas using older R2R tech Vs the resistor ladder Vs Lampizator's engine which AFAIK is basically a sigma delta chip with the letters rubbed off...

Maybe abbas should have a go at the soekris board ..

Reactions: Artnet
Eeer why?
Well obviously I can't speak for the guy but I highly doubt such an approach would fit into his retro parts philosophy. Pls a lot a the OEM boards are no longer available.

FYI Lampizator used to use these OEM boards too, before then moved to their delta sigma "engine" chips.

I heard Bryan's system on Wednesday evening for first time in 4 months. I had previously enjoyed listening to vinyl on his Klipsch clones, but had not been such a big fan of his previous streaming effort through the MSB dacs.

The new JBL 2440 compression drivers behind the conical horns seen to have made a big difference in the quality of sound and the Abbas tda1541 DAC was providing music with great rhythm and coherency. Was definitely the best that I have heard from streamed music.

The new compression drivers and crossover tweaking has been really interesting to hear the changes over the last 6 months and now as you say clarity and rhythm are at there best.
These speakers with there sensitivity are super revealing of the music and the changes experienced rotating through the collection of Abbas DACs and tubes was encouraging enough to make the rather excited and broad statement that, you have NOT heard your Abbas DAC unless you are listening with profoundly good SET amps and high efficiency horns.
I didn't hear Brian's MSB set up but the synergy with the Abbas is breathtaking.

Last edited:
Reactions: cal3713 and jespera
I am lost in the abbas website what is his top dac model? There's so many variations here

NEW MODELS OF DACs
DAC 2.4 Signature 6SN7 TDA1541A6X5+EAA91+E180F+ 2X 6SN7black front, 2pc power transformer "GD workshop" , 6SN7 GE or raytheon, two spdif inputs Available / Click here for more info
DAC4.2 SE 6SN7PCM58P6X5+5R4+6BL7black/wooden, toroidal power transformers, soviet 6N8S tubesAvailable
DAC U1 + 6SN7 output EZ80 + 2X 6SN7black/wooden, toroidal power transformers, soviet 6N8S tubesAvailable / Click here for more info
DAC HERMES SE 24/96 CS8414PCM63P 2X 5U4, 2X 6080 , 1X 5R4 ( 5U4, 5V4)soviet tubes, black front panel, toroidal transformers +108USD AD1865(AD1862) module ( no chips)Available
DAC HERMES SE 24/96 CS8414PCM58P 2X 5U4, 2X 6080 , 1X 5R4 ( 5U4, 5V4)soviet tubes, black front panel, toroidal transformersAvailable
DAC HERMES SE 24/96 CS8414AD1865 ( AD1862) 2X5U4, 2X6080 , 1X 5R4 ( 5U4, 5V4)soviet tubes, black front panel, toroidal transformers +108USD PCM63 module ( no chips)Available
DAC HERMES Signature 24/192 WM8804PCM63P -JECC88, 2X5U4, 2X6080 , 1X 5R4 ( 5U4, 5V4)branded tubes, EI handmade transformers, premium parts, black face panel. +180 USD marble panelAvailable
DAC HERMES Signature 24/192 WM8804PCM63P- KECC88, 2X5U4, 2X6080 , 1X 5R4 ( 5U4, 5V4)branded tubes, EI handmade transformers, premium parts, black face panel. +180 USD marble panelAvailable
DAC HERMES Signature 24/192 WM8804AD1865-K/AD1862KECC88, 2X5U4, 2X6080 , 1X 5R4 ( 5U4, 5V4)branded tubes, EI handmade transformers, premium parts, black face panel. +180 USD marble panelAvailable
DAC HERMES Signature 24/192 WM8804PCM58P-KECC88, 2X5U4, 2X6080 , 1X 5R4 ( 5U4, 5V4)branded tubes, EI handmade transformers, premium parts, black face panel. +180 USD marble panelAvailable
DAC 3.22 PSYCHE SE 24/96 CS8414TDA1541A2pc 5U4,5R4, 2X6080, 6SN7, 6X5soviet tubes, black front panel, toroidal transformersAvailable
DAC PSYCHE Signature 24/192 WM8804TDA1541A R1ECC88,2X 5U4,5R4/5V4, 2X6080, EF13, EZ11branded tubes, EI handmade transformers, premium parts, black face panel or +180 USD marble panelAvailable
DAC PSYCHE Signature 24/192 WM8804TDA1541A S1 crownECC88,2X 5U4,5R4/5V4, 2X6080, EF13, EZ11branded tubes, EI handmade transformers, premium parts, black face panel or +180 USD marble panelAvailable

You will need to email him to confirm availability and price.

The choices can be confusing . The Psyche and Hermes options in the signature are the ones to look at

But my take on it is that it depends on your taste and your system. Happy to bring round a 3.2SE for you to listen too.

NEW MODELS OF DACs
DAC 2.4 Signature 6SN7TDA1541A6X5+EAA91+E180F+ 2X 6SN7black front, 2pc power transformer "GD workshop" , 6SN7 GE or raytheon, two spdif inputsAvailable / Click here for more info
DAC4.2 SE 6SN7PCM58P6X5+5R4+6BL7black/wooden, toroidal power transformers, soviet 6N8S tubesAvailable
DAC U1 + 6SN7 outputEZ80 + 2X 6SN7black/wooden, toroidal power transformers, soviet 6N8S tubesAvailable / Click here for more info
DAC HERMES SE 24/96 CS8414PCM63P2X 5U4, 2X 6080 , 1X 5R4 ( 5U4, 5V4)soviet tubes, black front panel, toroidal transformers +108USD AD1865(AD1862) module ( no chips)Available
DAC HERMES SE 24/96 CS8414PCM58P 2X 5U4, 2X 6080 , 1X 5R4 ( 5U4, 5V4)soviet tubes, black front panel, toroidal transformersAvailable
DAC HERMES SE 24/96 CS8414AD1865 ( AD1862)2X5U4, 2X6080 , 1X 5R4 ( 5U4, 5V4)soviet tubes, black front panel, toroidal transformers +108USD PCM63 module ( no chips)Available
DAC HERMES Signature 24/192 WM8804PCM63P -JECC88, 2X5U4, 2X6080 , 1X 5R4 ( 5U4, 5V4)branded tubes, EI handmade transformers, premium parts, black face panel. +180 USD marble panelAvailable
DAC HERMES Signature 24/192 WM8804PCM63P- KECC88, 2X5U4, 2X6080 , 1X 5R4 ( 5U4, 5V4)branded tubes, EI handmade transformers, premium parts, black face panel. +180 USD marble panelAvailable
DAC HERMES Signature 24/192 WM8804AD1865-K/AD1862KECC88, 2X5U4, 2X6080 , 1X 5R4 ( 5U4, 5V4)branded tubes, EI handmade transformers, premium parts, black face panel. +180 USD marble panelAvailable
DAC HERMES Signature 24/192 WM8804PCM58P-KECC88, 2X5U4, 2X6080 , 1X 5R4 ( 5U4, 5V4)branded tubes, EI handmade transformers, premium parts, black face panel. +180 USD marble panelAvailable
DAC 3.22 PSYCHE SE 24/96 CS8414TDA1541A2pc 5U4,5R4, 2X6080, 6SN7, 6X5soviet tubes, black front panel, toroidal transformersAvailable
DAC PSYCHE Signature 24/192 WM8804TDA1541A R1ECC88,2X 5U4,5R4/5V4, 2X6080, EF13, EZ11branded tubes, EI handmade transformers, premium parts, black face panel or +180 USD marble panelAvailable
DAC PSYCHE Signature 24/192 WM8804TDA1541A S1 crownECC88,2X 5U4,5R4/5V4, 2X6080, EF13, EZ11branded tubes, EI handmade transformers, premium parts, black face panel or +180 USD marble panelAvailable

You will need to email him to confirm availability and price.

The choices can be confusing . The Psyche and Hermes options in the signature are the ones to look at

But my take on it is that it depends on your taste and your system. Happy to bring round a 3.2SE for you to listen too.
wow! you are in melbourne yes pls:):) will message you

I am lost in the abbas website what is his top dac model? There's so many variations here
Hi,

Abbas is very reserved if you ask him *what is your best dac?* - because he has a different approach as the usual DAC vendor I know that, because asked him the last couple years several times :rolleyes:

So what I can tell you:
- all his "Signature" (not being confused with type SE, different!) specific named models are his highest grade and highest effort of time & material. After that model type it would be "SE" ones

- TDA1541x are the more top models (sure will change with the newer PCBs) and more complex to build, as many different tube stages are needed

- Than you can choose from various other DAC chips and it is all about your flavor.

- His new PCB layouts (Hermes/Psyche) also includes new digital output boards and therefore he offers now also AES/EBU and XLR...as well: Hand made copper foil capacitors!!

So my DAC he just finish, will be one of the first ones "Hermes Signature 24/192 with PCM63P-J, AES/EBU, XLR and RCA". Takes some time, because he is very cafefully evaluating his new design. My order is from January this year..

I'd also recommend to go for his new Psyche/Hermes DAC, even the older models are still outstanding!

Hope helps a bit
Gerald

Last edited:
Reactions: Artnet
Hi,

Abbas is very reserved if you ask him *what is your best dac?* - because he has a different approach as the usual DAC vendor I know that, because asked him the last couple years several times :rolleyes:

So what I can tell you:
- all his "Signature" (not being confused with type SE, different!) specific named models are his highest grade and highest effort of time & material. After that model type it would be "SE" ones

- TDA1541x are the more top models (sure will change with the newer PCBs) and more complex to build, as many different tube stages are needed

- Than you can choose from various other DAC chips and it is all about your flavor.

- His new PCB layouts (Hermes/Psyche) also includes new digital output boards and therefore he offers now also AES/EBU and XLR...as well: Hand made copper foil capacitors!!

So my DAC he just finish, will be one of the first ones "Hermes Signature 24/192 with PCM63P-J, AES/EBU, XLR and RCA". Takes some time, because he is very cafefully evaluating his new design. My order is from January this year..

I'd also recommend to go for his new Psyche/Hermes DAC, even the older models are still outstanding!

Hope helps a bit
Gerald
Thankyou Gerald:) Stephen brought round his 3.2 to have a listen the other night - most kind of him and Bryan . It is quite a good dac and the components + techniquesused in there are most impressive indeed :)

Very exciting news Gerald, congratulations and hope it arrives soon. Looking forward to hearing your impressions and seeing a completed Hermes!!

Thankyou Gerald:) Stephen brought round his 3.2 to have a listen the other night - most kind of him and Bryan . It is quite a good dac and the components + techniquesused in there are most impressive indeed :)

It is always exciting listening to this DAC in a different system to you own. Abbas owners share the love;)
The experience gives me insight and a perspective on this crafted esoteric audio component. What is retrieved from this vintage 16bit chip may be perceived by some as limiting but you would surely be deaf to its beauty!!
To my ears it is shockingly good and brings valuable tone and gravitas to the music. A credit to Abbas who continues to get more and more from the 1541.
With excitement and anticipation , I look forward to hearing from a Psyche Sig owner, soon i hope for a comparison to the 3.2SE would be very interesting.

This is interesting that both Psyche and Hermes are going to share the same development for the first time.
His new PCB layouts (Hermes/Psyche) also includes new digital output boards and therefore he offers now also AES/EBU and XLR...as well: Hand made copper foil capacitors!!
With new digital output boards and wow, for certain hand made foil capacitors.

Tone is obviously vital when considering a dac, but so it instrument separation and I recall feeling that wasn't great when I owned a 2.1.

Helping deliver tone, clarity, pace, dimension (all 3) with great separation and weight an Abbas 3.2SE sporting a EML 80 mesh plate on a grayish afternoon.:)

IMG_20240921_161029.jpg

I cant comment on the 2.1 will leave that to @jespera. I have heard a 2.2SE on a large horn system and it certainly wasn't struggling with instrument separation. Cant imagine these two being that different other than the systems they are played in ?
The larger format does provide more dimension, separation, detail etc if the 2.1 is found lacking in your system however.

What is the price of what is considered the top of the Abbas range? I was considering a Laminator Pacific 2 but for that price I'd rather buy a royal oak watch.

Hi everyone new poster here (and friend of Stephen (Artnet). I'm another huge Abbas fanboy here.

@Nuforce please email Abbas directly to get his latest price list.

I love the Abbas Dac's so much that I bought a 4.1SE, then a 2.2SE (with a TDA1541 Studer double crown), a Abbas USB/SPdif converter and an Abbas Psyche Signature. I previously had many dacs including a MSB Premier with powerbase and pro isl.

They really scale as your system improves (They are wonderful with big horn systems).

LPG

All abbas gear is truly great. Not just quite good. Theres nothing lacking and the better chain the more you’ll get.

… as the owner of 2.1se, 4.1se, 3.2se, abbas cd94 cd player, usb-spdif, and three abbas sut … I must rank high in the abbas fan boy competition.

What is the price of what is considered the top of the Abbas range? I was considering a Laminator Pacific 2 but for that price I'd rather buy a royal oak watch.
Not sure what your are refering here. Seems you are happy with your Acuhorn R2R...His highest grade you would still be below <€10k. Abbas you cant compare with usual commercial DAC-vendors, as with his passion, time he spent on built details, vintage design patterns (who else is using old copper etc, besides some Japanese locale manufactures?).

Had a chance to compare Lampi pacific with horizon, different architecture and both (like "old" GG2) are exceptional! Whould I spent that money? NO, because for me personal I found my satisfaction with Abbas 3.2SE (+ new one with PCM 63-J) streaming + cd, PS Audio DirectWave Transport to I2S with Holo Audio May KTE (SACD), Grimm MU2 for Streaming + DSD native.

I'm someone having for different digital sources, different DACs! For me, there is NO universal perfect-DAC out there (not MSB, not dCS, not Aries Cerat, not Total Dac nor Playback Design). It's like finding the best speaker, not happening for me and therefore using 2 complete different hifi chains. Every design has his compromise! ...it's getting even worse if you go up the hifi-/ultra hifi latter (MY opinion).

Rgds
Gerald

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu