About to get Allnic H-8000 DHT

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Bonzo, it was lucky that they responded very quickly and they could ship internationally to my city. I’m thinking whether I should order a pair of KR 300B as well. Do you have any experience rolling the 300B on the Allnic phono? I read some POs giving credit to the Emissionlabs 300b MESH. I’m wondering if KR 300B would be a better fit.

Hi no experience rolling the 300b in the Allnic. IV have rolled 300b in amps and there the elrog, followed by the KR, are my preferred ones compared to Takatsuki and EML mesh. Elrog and KR are cleaner and more transparent and linear. Thomas mayer has also produced a newer version recently of 300b.

But based on reports of Allnic rolling, I think changing recti should allow you to decide if you like it or not

Reactions: gian60

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Hi no experience rolling the 300b in the Allnic. IV have rolled 300b in amps and there the elrog, followed by the KR, are my preferred ones compared to Takatsuki and EML mesh. Elrog and KR are cleaner and more transparent and linear. Thomas mayer has also produced a newer version recently of 300b.

But based on reports of Allnic rolling, I think changing recti should allow you to decide if you like it or not
I used to have Elrog and Takatsuki 300B tubes but sold them after selling the AN 300b amp. Pity I didn’t foresee one day I would use a phono applying 300B. Have ordered the 5U4G. Wait for the arrival.

Reactions: christoph

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks Tang. I'll take a look at the page, hopefully to find a suitable pair of 12ax7.

Regarding the footnote you put there, I assume you refer to VDH Master with 1mv output? Do you use it with the JPA 66 input 1 or 2?
Sorry. The footnote is off the topic. But you have some gears similar to mine or at least I have tried in my system so I chime in.

I now have 4 Master Signature ranging from 1.1mV down to 0.3mV (the latest one ddk recently sent me). I find all of them work great in input2. You can adjust the gain further with the input gain adjustment and the pre master volume of jpa66 to suit your system.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Reading the feedback of the two phono stages - the EMT is definitely my type of phono - fast and transparent.

YMMV

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Sorry. The footnote is off the topic. But you have some gears similar to mine or at least I have tried in my system so I chime in.

I now have 4 Master Signature ranging from 1.1mV down to 0.3mV (the latest one ddk recently sent me). I find all of them work great in input2. You can adjust the gain further with the input gain adjustment and the pre master volume of jpa66 to suit your system.
Thanks Tang. Your footnote is great.

I just connect my VDH Colibri XPW into input 2 and increase the gain. Volume wise, it sounds fine now. I don’t have to turn up the volume crazily high as I connected to input 1. However since the load imp might not be high enough, I feel the VDH doesn’t show its potential. Mine is an old version of Colibri XPW with a pretty high cart impedance at about 55 ohms. I guess the imp match is not there.

Interestingly, with my few phonos, the best phono for my VDH is the one on the Dartzeel pre. I load it at 300 ohm with 70db (or 69db?) Gain, it sounds quite full bodied. Previously, i ever tried a quite cheap phono, EAR 324 to VDH, it works very well too.

One day I will get my hand on a VDH master Sig. I assume. :cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Tang. Your footnote is great.

I just connect my VDH Colibri XPW into input 2 and increase the gain. Volume wise, it sounds fine now. I don’t have to turn up the volume crazily high as I connected to input 1. However since the load imp might not be high enough, I feel the VDH doesn’t show its potential. Mine is an old version of Colibri XPW with a pretty high cart impedance at about 55 ohms. I guess the imp match is not there.

Interestingly, with my few phonos, the best phono for my VDH is the one on the Dartzeel pre. I load it at 300 ohm with 70db (or 69db?) Gain, it sounds quite full bodied. Previously, i ever tried a quite cheap phono, EAR 324 to VDH, it works very well too.

One day I will get my hand on a VDH master Sig. I assume. :cool:

I think it is more than just gain. Tang's is a high sensitivity system, and the gain on input 1 is higher than that on some other phonos, like FM for example or the Mayer. And his carts might not be mm carts, but some of them have pretty high output for an MC. So EMT might be doing more than just a gain difference between input 1 and 2. We don't know what it is that leads to the lack of energy in input 1, it might not be simply gain

Reactions: gian60

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
I think it is more than just gain. Tang's is a high sensitivity system, and the gain on input 1 is higher than that on some other phonos, like FM for example or the Mayer. And his carts might not be mm carts, but some of them have pretty high output for an MC. So EMT might be doing more than just a gain difference between input 1 and 2. We don't know what it is that leads to the lack of energy in input 1, it might not be simply gain
I guess the standard input 1 may be designed for those EMT high output carts. Many of those are above 1mv output and ask for 200+ load imp.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I guess the standard input 1 may be designed for those EMT high output carts. Many of those are above 1mv output and ask for 200+ load imp.

Good guess, possible

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Tried today the Allnic ZL-5000 Powerchord on my Allnic H-7000v Phonostage.
This was (in my set up) a major step forward. The cable combines the resolution of the
Wireworld Platinum (pure silver) power chord with the dark emotional voices of the NBS Black Label power chord,
Can imagine, that the ZL-5000 was also used to voice the H-8000 Phonostage.
Just give the Allnic ZL-5000 power chord a try, if you use (or plan to use) an Allnic Phonostage.

Reactions: howiebrou

djsina2

May 30, 2019
This was (in my set up) a major step forward. The cable combines the resolution of the
Wireworld Platinum (pure silver) power chord with the dark emotional voices of the NBS Black Label power chord,
Just give the Allnic ZL-5000 power chord a try, if you use (or plan to use) an Allnic Phonostage.
I used this power cord on my Allnic amp and found it to be a nice upgrade for sure and I’m not a big cabling person.

Reactions: Bobvin and shakti

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Shawn,

From your signature am I right in assuming you didn't keep the Allnic and the EMT phono stages?

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Shawn,

From your signature am I right in assuming you didn't keep the Allnic and the EMT phono stages?
Indeed I didn't keep the Allnic and EMT for different reasons. Regarding Allnic H-8000, maybe it was not in my luck, I got 2 units both with some defects. The first one came with random noises from the left channel after about 10 days' use, sometimes it could be scarily loud and I had to return it. The 2nd unit came with the right channel significantly lower volume than the left. Over almost 3 months, somehow it exhausted my patience and I returned the unit to the dealer, with some financial compensation to the dealer helping on import/export units.

Though the sound of the H-8000 was still enjoyable when the first unit was still working well for a short period of time. I'd say it has a bit colored sound with a taste of sweetness compared to the other brands that I used. It was a pity that I didn't have the chance to burn-in the unit and swap good recti tubes as suggested by many. I believe it would have been a very good phono stage.

EMT is a different story, I like a lot the look and also the sound, quite "right" sound, very neutral and high quality of details and extension. However, on the unit I got, the phono 1 input was not usable to me because of too low gain, while if I connect directly from the "control out", the overall gain was too low. But if I connect from the preamp output, it always bothered me to find a sweet spot to balance the volume knob and the gain setting and it depended on the carts. I ended up having to finetune the volume knob each time I switched to a different arm/cart.

I wrote to EMT and the tech support crew was not very responsive (though he answered a part of my questions) and he always referred me to the HK dealer. With all respect, the HK dealer I approached basically knows little about rightly setting a phono pre. He told me the phono 3 on the JPA 66 was an MC input with adjustable load. But the EMT guy told me it is 47k ohm with -50%-100% for SUT. I trust the dealer was confused. And finally he tried to promote me a new set of stock tubes for an EMT phono. Very wierd.

My guess is that EMT JPA66 is better used as a real pre-amp instead of a standalone phono stage. With the built-in gain, it'd be sufficient overall gain. Actually my Soulution 755 has a similar design with a built-in Pre circuit. I tried the 755 as a real pre, it sounds very good, with a strong signature of Soulution and the gain is more sufficient than it is operated as a stand-alone.

Finally, those experiences didn't give me enough confidence to order a new EMT phono, which I intended to do hence borrowing a demo in the first placde.

I'm now settled with a Soulution 755 and a set of Kondo M7+SPZ, solid and tube.

Last edited:

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
I bought one too to use on the H-8000 before it went wrong. Very neutral PC.

Sallingboe Audio

Mar 19, 2020
Denmark
sallingboeaudio.com
5000 was amazing. Would love to hear the 8000. @Dante Choi also has the 5000 with very rare tannoy autographs with silver drivers, and some exotic Allnic amps. His friend has the 5000 with tannoy autograph and red drivers. I also compared the H7000 to the Ypsilon with Lyra atlas at dctom's space, and here is a comparison of 5000 with aesthetix IO with many carts http://zero-distortion.org/allnic-aesthetix-io-dartzeel-kodo-beat-vyger-indian-signature-kiseki/

But rolling recti is a must
Hi Bonzo
I will soon get the H-8000 also, and you wanted to hear the Anima´s so no excuse for a visit to the Danish countryside ... I´ll open the wine :)
Looking forward to see you when possible!
Dan

loki1957

Sep 19, 2012
Santa Fe NM
I have a h8000 on the way along with a d5000 dac. Should be here in a day or two. Can't wait.

Reactions: hogen

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
so does that mean quite a few people are getting problems with the Quality control on Allnic?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
so does that mean quite a few people are getting problems with the Quality control on Allnic?
no, this is not, what I read and do experience with Allnic

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I have a h8000 on the way along with a d5000 dac. Should be here in a day or two. Can't wait.
How are you finding The H8000?

loki1957

Sep 19, 2012
Santa Fe NM
It is a fantastic phono stage. As I said in another post about getting the 242 tubes right there is wonderful bloom and presence. I previously had a h7000 that I thought was good but this is on a whole different level. I can't imagine it when I replace the rectifier tubes.

Sallingboe Audio

Mar 19, 2020
Denmark
sallingboeaudio.com
I completely agree with this. We have a H-8000 demo and it is absolutely best phonostage we have heard, this also including the H-7000.
It is a fantastic phono stage. As I said in another post about getting the 242 tubes right there is wonderful bloom and presence. I previously had a h7000 that I thought was good but this is on a whole different level. I can't imagine it when I replace the rectifier tubes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing