Accurate spirit levels for analog set up, any recommendations?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Are there any really good reliable spirit levels for tt/arm setup? I've been plagued w cheap ones that don't agree w each other.

I'm looking especially for small circular ones, 1-2" diameter, that I can place on my platter at the adjustment points/feet. Looking for heavy ones in particular, not lightweight plastic.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I had a page bookmarked with just such a thing....will try and find it.

Search machinist levels...iirc it wasn't a Starrett but they are a big name.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm just having a couple of issues that I'm sure are related to level, but cheap levels are creating more issues than they solve.

Thanks Solypsa, any links helpful. I'll certainly Google "machinist level".

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Which one, Bazelio?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bazelio, thanks, that looks just the ticket.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bazelio, any more traditional long spirit levels akin to this quality you'd advise?

The circular ones are great for my platter, plinth and Stacore platform. But I need a long one to pop onto the horizontal gantry that my air arm slides along.

6" long is fine.

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Starrett would be the general recommendation there.

Marc, you may want to look at Level Developments in the UK. I bought a 12" precision level (used to set up lathe beds) that I use to set up my Table and approximate my TT and then and a 2 Axis inclinometer for fine tweaking.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Bazelio, any more traditional long spirit levels akin to this quality you'd advise?

The circular ones are great for my platter, plinth and Stacore platform. But I need a long one to pop onto the horizontal gantry that my air arm slides along.

6" long is fine.
You could try a spirit level app for your phone. The one I use on my iPad is very sensitive and works in both directions rather like a round bubble level. I also have a seismometer app than is a good tool to check isolation of components with music playing. You may find out how much your Zus are impacting your TT.
Cheers

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Avid make a great level which also includes a 45rpm adapter and weighs 180grams, same as a decent lp.
Excellently made and very accurate.
If you want to pay really expensive, Len Gregory the cartridge man sells a digital level as opposed to the bubble in the avid

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanks one and all. I'm at the beginning of the end of final analog optimisation. The right levels will be the right tools for the job.

Or am I at the end of the beginning? I think this is more accurate, I'm finally getting a proper appreciation of classical lps. And I know a thoroughly dialled in analog setup is more critical than ever. Hence the plea for help on spirit levels.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I have one made by Ortofon which looks very similar. It is excellent for confirming if a platter, speaker, or platform is level.

https://www.frontrowelectronics.com...MI2dXxh86Q4AIVQV8NCh00fwSHEAQYBCABEgJi3_D_BwE
That level is also available on Amazon for $15, without the Ortofon logo. It is less sensitive than the leveldevelopments piece. I think I paid all of $20 bucks for it shipped from the UK, but I did get the plastic version. I had no need for the metal version.

Link to the generic "Ortofon" level:
https://www.amazon.com/Driak-Aluminium-Precision-Bullseye-Accuracy/dp/B072M4Y74T/

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
You could try a spirit level app for your phone. The one I use on my iPad is very sensitive and works in both directions rather like a round bubble level. I also have a seismometer app than is a good tool to check isolation of components with music playing. You may find out how much your Zus are impacting your TT.
Cheers

Told him same thing :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Surely if you two tell Marc the same thing you cannot be right

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also, he does not use a smart phone

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

This looks great!

I called Level Developments. They sell them only in lots of 50 units. They will not sell one to me directly. In typically (in my personal experience living in London for two years) unhelpful English fashion the sales department had absolutely no idea where I could buy a single example of this product of theirs on planet Earth.

All the sales department could do is refer me to a company in the USA called McMaster Carr. I spoke with them, and they do not carry this particular circular level.

Do you have any idea where to order one?

Reactions: bazelio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing