Advice on electrical circuit for Audio in new listening room

triode12

Mar 15, 2016
Hi All,

I'm currently in the planning stage of converting part of my garage into a listening room. I have three phase power coming into my home and all three phases have circuits running off them.

I was thinking of moving all of the existing circuits onto two phases and using the third phase exclusively for the wiring up circuits for powering my audio equipment, in the new listening room.

However, my friend who is a electrician (but not an audiophile) and whom is going to be doing the work, thinks it is unnecessary. He can do it but thinks that it is an unnecessary expense.

What do you guys think?

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I'm not an electrician but, for the same reason you ideally keep all of the power for your equipment on a single phase on a typical panel in the USA.
I would say yes.
I don't know where you are located triode, though, I know some areas have 3 phase power.

Last edited:
Reactions: triode12

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...if you run a new line(s) to the garage, that labor is the same either way. If you run any 220v lines, you would have to share another phase anyway, right? So, I think the extra cost would be the time to sort out the existing panel...moving breakers around to distribute/balance circuits on the other phases. And possibly going back to a junction box for circuits (wires) not long enough to be relocated. That said, your sparky will know how much hassle it is for him. Some of what we do does not make practical sense to tradespeople. Even dedicated line(s) for audio will be a plus. Getting the fridge and washer separated may help additionally. This coming from a guy who turns off the furnace or A/C for critical listening.

Nice project. Good Luck!

Reactions: mxk116 and triode12

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I was thinking of moving all of the existing circuits onto two phases and using the third phase exclusively for the wiring up circuits for powering my audio equipment, in the new listening room.
When I built my house in Germany I did this exactly. I reserved one of the three phases for my audio with one AWG5 spur directly into the listening room. TBH, for me the perfect solution, I never looked back.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
@matthias brings up an interesting option as well: a larger-gauge line into your garage, into a sub-panel. You run the individual circuits from there. The devil is in the details for all of this (budget, distance, gear/power requirements, etc.).

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
When I built my listening room I told my electrician I want #10 wire run to all of the outlets in the room.

He pushed back a few times, telling me it was ridiculous and not needed.
I finally told him it should not be of any concern of his if I wanted to be able to do welding in my room. He didn't mention it again.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...10 gauge, absolutely. Frankly, if we're kicking this around: I ran stranded #10 THHN in flexible metal conduit for the gear. I ran a temp #6 for testing, and liked it, but reverted to #10 for convenience sake.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing