Aesthetix Io Users Group

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Hi thazeldean - my experience also. The gentlemen at Aesthetix worked a lot before they located the errors in my unit, and charged only low hours. Mainly but not only related to the power supplies, which they had to change. No wonder, I think this was partly due to "understandable wear and tear". I had used the control unit for almost fifteen years using it as a preamp, changing volume all the time. Also, I had come into the habit of leaving it on all the time, except on holidays etc, and even if my rack is ok, there is some ventilation, there was also a lot of heat. I think these two factors, over time, contributed to the Io breaking down. I have no direct evidence, just my impression. Cracked soldering in the volume controls created problems in connected components. Not sure, at this point, but I did not experience any clearly tube related breakdowns. Anyway Aesthetix fixed the problems 100 percent.

BTW It is "Io", not "IO". Moon of Jupiter. Part of the Aesthetix Jupiter series. It started "far out" and still is. Sure glad I bought it.
1606753426620.png

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
I am in the process of testing the sound direct from the Io compared to my recordings (also using the Io) of the very same LPs, in digital format (Tascam DA-3000, double DSD). What exactly is it, that makes me choose the Io direct? You can read people on the web writing that their DSD rips on the Tascam sounds just like, or almost just like, the vinyl direct. "Just like" is not right, in my system. I can very clearly hear the difference. "Almost" is more to the point. But still, the gap is very evident. I have only tested through my speakers, although I should test with headphones also (not so easy to arrange in my rig). Testing various LPs including Beck Mourning phase, Frey After midnight, Cohen Thanks for the dance - in each case, I preferred the LP direct. More lively, more "here", vivid, tonal color, dimensions in the soundscape. Yes the digital is quite good (through my new Teac Nt-505) and much better than what I had before, but there is no doubt, the gap is still there. So as an old tape / recording enthusiast, I wonder, why. I once upgraded my Revox A77 with a mod that brought it more close to professional standard - maybe the Tascam needs the same. Maybe it is the recording unit - ADC - analog to digital chip - that is mostly to blame. I don't know.

This is probably somewhat off topic for many of you, but interesting since it gives even more credence to our common experience that the Io is very good indeed.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
I sometimes compare the Io to my Meade ETX125 EC astro-telescope. I have various binoculars around but this is a whole other story. Like, you cannot mount this on a wooden floor, it needs totally vibration-free stone ground. And so on...somewhat like the requirements to get optimal performance from the Io. And then, when set it up right, you see wonders, like details of the moon. You can see Io, too, although not many details.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Reactions: audioquest4life

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Investigating the ADC angle - is the sound gap between the LP through the Io direct (best), and the same LP and Io, through digital (less good), caused by a non-optimal recording, in the recording unit? Maybe, the analog-to-digital conversion on the Tascam DA-3000 is not the best, even if ca everyone agrees that it is quite good. Maybe, with a modd to the Tascam, I could get the digital recordings to sound just like the cartridge and Io direct. Or almost as good.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The analog output stage on the digital is probably not near the Io’s output stage. Power supply’s are not comparable. Lots of differences besides the analog vs digital comparison.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Dan31 - right, I agree. But my question concerns the input. Not the output. We can fix the output later (get a better DAC).

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Let me be 100 pct clear: I am investigating the Io (partial Eclipse, two p supplies) EITHER direct, playing LPs, or INDIRECT through my double DSD recordings of the same LPs on the same system. All equal, except the recording and conversion to digital. So the dual power supplies are there also in the recording, not just the direct playback. I record through the Io. It should sound ca the same,.at double dsd resolution, but is does not, so this is the mystery, for me, now.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
You are feeding the Io your DSD recordings from the analog section of the dac. The dac also uses a digital filter to shape the noise. They will not sound the same. No matter how close you get.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
I am not expecting them to sound identical, of course. What I am looking for, is how to narrow the gap. Especially, get the recording part, the AD conversion, as good as possible. Dave Garrettson showed some modds of the ADC part of the Tascam DA-3000 over at A Asylum some years ago, so it is possible to upgrade the recorder part. I am not using the DAC in the Tascam, in favor of the better Teac NT-505 dac. I fully agree that, when we get to the playback / DAC stage, the Io direct leaves dacs behind (or maybe not so much, with the Aesthetix dac, never heard it). My point is; better dacs will appear over time. But if I want to preserve my vinyl in the best possible way, here and now, somewhat "future proof", priority number one is to get the recording as optimal as possible.

Last edited:

OGH

Oct 9, 2020

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
I am not expecting them to sound identical, of course. What I am looking for, is how to narrow the gap. Especially, get the recording part, the AD conversion, as good as possible. Dave Garrettson showed some modds of the ADC part of the Tascam DA-3000 over at A Asylum some years ago, so it is possible to upgrade the recorder part. I am not using the DAC in the Tascam, in favor of the better Teac NT-505 dac. I fully agree that, when we get to the playback / DAC stage, the Io direct leaves dacs behind (or maybe not so much, with the Aesthetix dac, never heard it). My point is; better dacs will appear over time. But if I want to preserve my vinyl in the best possible way, here and now, somewhat "future proof", priority number one is to get the recording as optimal as possible.
Why not preserve them with recordings made on the Revox A77?

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Yes maybe I should try to get the A77 serviced, it has been collecting dust at my loft for years. On the other hand, this is not the pro version, it can only do 7.5 ips, four track. It weighs 15 kg - ultra portable! By comparison, I can playback my dsd files on the fiio x3 that weighs 135 grams.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
That's why I have my phono stage go directly into the M2TECH Joplin A/D Converter with the Van Der Graf power supply first. Then use balanced digital cable to the Tascam DA-3000 through bypass. The Tascam is used to convert the digital signal to the SD card which then can be placed into my pc. The Joplin is much better sounding with a better clock and power supply than the Tascam alone.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Thanks Jeffy, interesting. What are the sonic benefits you hear, recording with the Joplin, compared to the Tascam?

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Thanks - seems expensive, though...

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
I actually record from the preamp, not the Io direct. Just like I prefer the sound through the preamp, directly, in my rig.
I tried several ways, including line out from the Einstein, and asked Volker in Einstein about it. He answered, the sound is best from the xlr outputs (through the preamp volume etc). This is what I hear, also. Although somewhat surprising. Direct from Io, or only through the preamp through line out, "should" sound best.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
I also go direct from the output of the preamp. It’s more convenient that way. The M2 TECH is worth the extra cost, just like anything else in audio.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is anyone using a Grado Labs Epoch cartridge with his Io?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing