Aesthetix Io Users Group

Agreed, they probably know what the issues are but don't want to admit, recall and repair.
Hi lagonda, I understand that you are in Denmark and that you have a reliable repairer for aesthetix, I... I almost have it repaired and sell it. If you have an address to provide me to send it to here in Europe I would be grateful.

Reactions: Lagonda
Almost all the complainants are non US based. Maybe he doesn’t test the conversions well

I had two and none worked at the same time....
I was an early client too just after JW had left from Theta Digital and started Aesthetix

Last edited:
Hi lagonda, I understand that you are in Denmark and that you have a reliable repairer for aesthetix, I... I almost have it repaired and sell it. If you have an address to provide me to send it to here in Europe I would be grateful.
I know there is a guy in Germany who does repairs, he has posted in this thread. I will PM you the info for my guy in Denmark. :)

Maybe he doesn’t test the conversions well
??
All it would typically require is a transformer to step down the input lines (aka "mains") voltage. All subsequent power supply rectification and regulation is the exact same circuits and components. With some hexfred rectifiers the step down is not even needed.

Like any other company, new production and repairs get a thorough burn-in and test before shipping to the customer.

My thought - thoroughly test the tubes. They can contribute to failures in tube gear. Also make sure that any local repair is using correct replacement parts.

Or, contact Aesthetix. Many of use have had superb support for repairs and upgrades.

Going online and bashing the product may not be the optimal solution.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
??
All it would typically require is a transformer to step down the input lines (aka "mains") voltage. All subsequent power supply rectification and regulation is the exact same circuits and components. With some hexfred rectifiers the step down is not even needed.

Like any other company, new production and repairs get a thorough burn-in and test before shipping to the customer.

My thought - thoroughly test the tubes. They can contribute to failures in tube gear. Also make sure that any local repair is using correct replacement parts.

Or, contact Aesthetix. Many of use have had superb support for repairs and upgrades.

Going online and bashing the product may not be the optimal solution.
My Io has been back to the factory twice inside the warranty period and repaired once by the distributors "factory approved" repair guy in Sweden. Now out of warranty i will no longer pay the crazy transportation fees every 2-6 month when it breaks down, im having repair done locally, i hope to avoid sending this thing to the US again, it is just not worth the money. After having aired my unhappiness with the Io, a lot of other unhappy users have come forward, most have quietly gotten rid of the Io, i wish they had been public about the constants break down problems, i would not have purchased this thing. Both the "factory approved " repair guy and 2 Danish repair guys that have worked on Io's have advised me to hurry up and sell it next time it works, it will keep on breaking down. With the amount of people having repeated problems, i no longer consider mine a "lemon" there are problems with the design that make it fail repeatedly. I like the sound, and hope to make it more reliable with modifications. But i will never buy another Aesthetix product again ! :confused:

Last edited:
My Io has been back to the factory twice inside the warranty period and repaired once by the distributors "factory approved" repair guy in Sweden. Now out of warranty i will no longer pay the crazy transportation fees every 2-6 month when it breaks down, im having repair done locally, i hope to avoid sending this thing to the US again, it is just not worth the money. After having aired my unhappiness with the Io, a lot of other unhappy users have come forward, most have quietly gotten rid of the Io, i wish they had been public about the constants break down problems, i would not have purchased this thing. Both the "factory approved " repair guy and 2 Danish repair guys that have worked on Io's have advised me to hurry up and sell it next time it works, it will keep on breaking down. With the amount of people having repeated problems, i no longer consider mine a "lemon" there are problems with the design that make it fail repeatedly. I like the sound, and hope to make it more reliable with modifications. But i will never buy another Aesthetix product again ! :confused:
Sorry for your woes. Hope you will find a resolution to all of this.

As I said, I have had my Io for 25 years. To date, one voltage regulator failed and one of the IEC input connectors came apart. I can't complain. I have no idea what is different in our situations - the Io, the AC power, the setup, the tubes.

When I sent mine in for repairs, I was asked if I used the Io very much. They reported that it was not showing signs of wear. I replied that it was used regularly. I kept it well ventilated and cleaned it out thoroughly twice a year - along with cleaning all the socket contacts and connectors.

Sorry for your woes. Hope you will find a resolution to all of this.

As I said, I have had my Io for 25 years. To date, one voltage regulator failed and one of the IEC input connectors came apart. I can't complain. I have no idea what is different in our situations - the Io, the AC power, the setup, the tubes.

When I sent mine in for repairs, I was asked if I used the Io very much. They reported that it was not showing signs of wear. I replied that it was used regularly. I kept it well ventilated and cleaned it out thoroughly twice a year - along with cleaning all the socket contacts and connectors.
Maybe early Io's are more reliable, mine is a current model. Top shelf position, well ventilated. Maybe some kind of power surge from windmills or gremlins is causing it, but only right power supply, left is fine ! No other equipment is affected. o_O

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: christoph
Maybe early Io's are more reliable, mine is a current model. Top shelf position, well ventilated. Maybe some kind of power surge from windmills or gremlins is causing it, but only right power supply, left is fine ! No other equipment is affected. o_O
I suppose you have tried swapping tubes between power supplies to determine whether the failure follows the tubes?

Swapped the power cables and the cables between supply and phono stage?

Is it always the same component that fails?

Are both supplies plugged into the same AC outlet/line?

Mine are plugged into an Audience aR12.

Just thinking out loud.

Do you have a pic with the Io's power supply with its top off?

Very little has changed on the Io other than some component choices and fusing on the PS that does not exist in current production.

The only major failure prone component on the Io over time are the power transformers. The originals up to mid 2000's or so were identified as Mercury Magnetics. The new ones are made in house and have and Aesthetix sticker on them.

If the Power transformer is leaking internally with bad isolation between windings and only does this when it heats up-- I have had transformers in other units act very strangely-- then you're going to get these catastrophic faliures- the down stream ss regulators will come for a ride . This actually can be quite illusive and not at all conclusive at first glance- especially if you have the Mercury Magnetics xfrmrs. Also, your tubes in the PS should be checked for idle current and see that they are not contributing.
I only use NOS Mullards I don't trust any type of new production in the PS the consequences can be devastating.

I am sorry that you have had this trouble. I have had to send my Io back for a new transformer a year ago after about 20 years of ownership and the only other issue was only one self inflicted tube rolling concern that was resolved quickly in my own city by the authorized tech. It really has been trouble free for all of the 20 years except for that last episode -- I had all the transformers changed as precaution and is now at full new production Eclipse status.

Since I've kept it in the closet, my wife has been complaining about losing her best cooking plate and now she's sulking at me because she'll no longer be able to receive her 3 star rating.View attachment 133417
Aesthetics are beautiful, (pun intended)

I suppose you have tried swapping tubes between power supplies to determine whether the failure follows the tubes?

Swapped the power cables and the cables between supply and phono stage?

Is it always the same component that fails?

Are both supplies plugged into the same AC outlet/line?

Mine are plugged into an Audience aR12.

Just thinking out loud.
Tried it all, had the 2 power supplies on different dedicated lines a while ago, hoped that could have been the problem, but no they are on same line now. I will try a transient filter/power conditioner next, nothing else seems to have problems, just the Io. It's the right channel power supply the last 3 times, and it takes out components in the right phono board when it blows. :oops:

I am sorry that you have had this trouble. I have had to send my Io back for a new transformer a year ago after about 20 years of ownership and the only other issue was only one self inflicted tube rolling concern that was resolved quickly in my own city by the authorized tech. It really has been trouble free for all of the 20 years except for that last episode -- I had all the transformers changed as precaution and is now at full new production Eclipse status.
Dear Nick, when you arrive instead of Dava, why don't you bring me your authorized technician? Jokes aside, if my "IO" has already been repaired in October (the good Lagonda has provided me with the address of his technician who is at least in Europe) we could make a direct comparison between the aesthetix and the Allnic with the Dava. ……. bombshell news... It seems that for the remake of "Around the World in 80 Days" they chose Aesthetix Io to play the character of Phileas Fogge instead of Steve Coogan and for the character of Jean Passepartout they hired his two power supplies to replace Jackie Chan. The new actors were chosen given their familiarity with traveling around the world incessantly from the owners' homes to the various assistance centers.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kcin and Lagonda
If the Power transformer is leaking internally with bad isolation between windings and only does this when it heats up-- I have had transformers in other units act very strangely-- then you're going to get these catastrophic faliures- the down stream ss regulators will come for a ride . This actually can be quite illusive and not at all conclusive at first glance- especially if you have the Mercury Magnetics xfrmrs. Also, your tubes in the PS should be checked for idle current and see that they are not contributing.
I only use NOS Mullards I don't trust any type of new production in the PS the consequences can be devastating.
In our prior house, I had small fans ventilating the power supplies. It was warmer weather than our current home. The stereo is now set up in the lower level, which stays pretty cool. New setup uses HRS rack that has adequate space for convection cooling. I may not have had the Mercury transformers warm enough to get that failure.

I too only use tested and selected NOS tubes in the Io.

Tried it all, had the 2 power supplies on different dedicated lines a while ago, hoped that could have been the problem, but no they are on same line now. I will try a transient filter/power conditioner next, nothing else seems to have problems, just the Io. It's the right channel power supply the last 3 times, and it takes out components in the right phono board when it blows. :oops:
May be time to try the new transformers for the power supplies. They also reduce the noise floor- substantially.

May be time to try the new transformers for the power supplies. They also reduce the noise floor- substantially.
No way Aesthetix are getting more of my money on a whim, the transformers measure out correctly. I am not spending more money on a" upgrade", that is not even on their home page. This is not a old machine that has been converted, this is a last model Eclipse, they have had it back at the factory twice without diagnosing the transformers as faulty.

Reactions: mtemur

Very little has changed on the Io other than some component choices and fusing on the PS that does not exist in current production.

The only major failure prone component on the Io over time are the power transformers. The originals up to mid 2000's or so were identified as Mercury Magnetics. The new ones are made in house and have and Aesthetix sticker on them.

This is interesting information, so you have had no ptoblems with your transformers but you changed them as a precaution ? :oops:

Dear Nick, when you arrive instead of Dava, why don't you bring me your authorized technician? Jokes aside, if my "IO" has already been repaired in October (the good Lagonda has provided me with the address of his technician who is at least in Europe) we could make a direct comparison between the aesthetix and the Allnic with the Dava. ……. bombshell news... It seems that for the remake of "Around the World in 80 Days" they chose Aesthetix Io to play the character of Phileas Fogge instead of Steve Coogan and for the character of Jean Passepartout they hired his two power supplies to replace Jackie Chan. The new actors were chosen given their familiarity with traveling around the world incessantly from the owners' homes to the various assistance centers.
Massimo,

I can't wait to visit! I have had the top Allnic phono here- well at least the one just prior to the new 10000. It will be an interesting experiment...

The real question is , what are you Europeans doing to these poor Aesthetix phono stages ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing