Aesthetix Io Users Group

And, I think, an increase in transparency.
You had a old machine and bought a new one, different generations. You have no idea of where the transparency came from , a lot of changes in those machines Ron. Transparency is fine in mine, reliability is the problem. If Aesthetix came out and admitted that the tranformers they have been using for many years are the reason for the many breakdown's, there would be a reason to fix them. My Io is not 20 years old, all transformers are up to specs and have not failed.

Last edited:
You had a old machine and bought a new one, different generations. You have no idea of where the transparency came from , a lot of changes in those machines Ron. Transparency is fine in mine, reliability is the problem. If Aesthetix came out and admitted that the tranformers they have been using for many years are the reason for the many breakdown's, there would be a reason to fix them. My Io is not 20 years old, all transformers are up to specs and have not failed.
Hello Milan,

I don't know what you're arguing about with me. In that post I didn't refer to reliability (although for the record I never had problems with my early Io).

I didn't attribute the increase in transparency solely to transformers.

I didn't suggest that your unit had a transparency problem.

I simply added "transparency" to the list of sonic improvements between my early generation Io and my current Io.

Reactions: Lagonda
Next subject, please?

Is there an 'ideal' type of cartridge, for the Io? Or even, a best match?

Next subject, please?

Is there an 'ideal' type of cartridge, for the Io? Or even, a best match?
I don’t think there is a specific type or ideal cartridge that works better with the Io as it is adaptable to all types. I have used MI and MC (.29 mv-.4 mv ) successfully with the Io. If anything, I do recall from years past, that there have been instances of people using SUTs In conjunction with the Io. I don’t remember hearing about the long term viability, regarding sound qualities.

My Io will be twenty years old in a couple of years. Amps come and go, speakers come and go, preamps come and go, the Io stands the test of time.

for "next subject":

After a few years with the basic Io I was bought a signture with two psu. Currently Im testing the Io with a Kondo IO cartridge. Its a low output cartridge with 0,05mV so nedd to use its own SUT. Now it seems they are in synergy without preamp. The SUT takes 1.55V to Io input.
50db gain the best for me.
Was tried My Legend preamp and the result was really good but a liitle bit better without preamp.
Now im looking for a passive volume control. Could anybody recommend something?

Bespoke Audio for fancy

Electronic Visionary Systems discrete resistor attenuators (vintage) for simple

Hello
Im looking for a preamp for my Io phono.
Would be my possibilities to have a Callisto signatre preamp with two psu.
Would it be a good Combo? Any recommendation is really appreciate.
Peter

If I had rack space for it this would probably be what I would go for. Or, if possible, the Eclipse version. I have not heard it, though. A contender might be the Atma-sphere Mp1 preamp. My Io Eclipse is already 3 boxes (2 psu). My rack space is limited and I went for a one box solution, Einstein The tube mk2, a hybrid tube preamp with s-state power transformers. Works well but is not quite optimal according to some discussion earlier in this thread. It gives the Io sound more muscle and can be a bit like Tarzan in the jungle, but improves with better tubes. I paid ca half the price, used, compared to the alternatives mentioned above.

Last edited:
Reactions: audioquest4life
If I had rack space for it this would probably be what I would go for. Or, if possible, the Eclipse version. I have not heard it, though. A contender might be the Atma-sphere Mp1 preamp. My Io Eclipse is already 3 boxes (2 psu). My rack space is limited and I went for a one box solution, Einstein The tube mk2, a hybrid tube preamp with s-state power transformers. Works well but is not quite optimal according to some discussion earlier in this thread. It gives the Io sound more muscle and can be a bit like Tarzan in the jungle, but improves with better tubes. I paid ca half the price, used, compared to the alternatives mentioned above.
Thank you OGH.
)I have enought space and place in my rack.
I Asked for the Callisto because looks I could make a good deal with it.

Reactions: audioquest4life
Great! Good luck.

Thank you OGH.
)I have enought space and place in my rack.
I Asked for the Callisto because looks I could make a good deal with it.
Having enough rack space is great, but also managing heat is another issue. With 2 Io power supplies and 2 Callisto power supplies, you have 32 power supply tubes (8 per power supply) not including any other tube equipment. I would plan on mitigating any heat issues that may occur during extended listening periods.

Sounds like it’s going to be a great system.

Reactions: OGH
Hello
Im looking for a preamp for my Io phono.
Would be my possibilities to have a Callisto signatre preamp with two psu.
Would it be a good Combo? Any recommendation is really appreciate.
Peter
I use the Io with volume controls since that is a self-contained line stage. Direct connection to my amps from the Io and volume control on the Io front panel. There is also another line level input, but I don't use it.
My preference is less boxes and circuitry between stylus and speakers.
An Io can be modified to add the volume controls.

1726881428559.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DetroitVinylRob
Ha van elég hely az állványon, az nagyszerű, de a hőkezelés is egy másik kérdés. A 2 Io tápegységgel és a 2 Callisto tápegységgel 32 tápcsöve van (tápegységenként 8), nem számítva semmilyen más csöves berendezést. Azt tervezem, hogy enyhítsek minden hőproblémát, amely a hosszabb hallgatási időszakok során előfordulhat.

Ha van elég hely az állványon, az nagyszerű, de a hőkezelés is egy másik kérdés. A 2 Io tápegységgel és a 2 Callisto tápegységgel 32 tápcsöve van (tápegységenként 8), nem számítva semmilyen más csöves berendezést. Azt tervezem, hogy enyhítsek minden hőproblémát, amely a hosszabb hallgatási időszakok során előfordulhat.

Úgy tűnik, ez egy nagyszerű rendszer lesz.
Ezt is figyelembe kell venni.
Főleg nyáron.

Az Io-t hangerőszabályzókkal használom, mivel ez egy önálló vonalszint. Közvetlen kapcsolat az erősítőimmel az Io-ról és az Io előlapján található színszabályozóról. Van egy másik vonalszintű bemenet is, de nem használom.
Én a kevesebb dobozt és áramkört részesítem előnyben a ceruza és a hangszórók között.
Az Io módosítható a hangerőszabályzók hozzáadásához.

View attachment 136667

This came up too as an opportunity to update the device with volume control. This would be the best option
But still dont know the cost. Transport 3 boxes to Aesthetix from Europe and back plus the update.

This came up too as an opportunity to update the device with volume control. This would be the best option
But still dont know the cost. Transport 3 boxes to Aesthetix from Europe and back plus the update.
I paid around $5000 with transportation, repair and fresh 2 year warranty for volume control and 2 phono boards. The Swedish importer ended up loosing money on that deal. He ended up paying for one more repair trip to the US and a second repair in Stockholm. Aesthetix ran out half of my warranty time with their slow repairs.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu