Aesthetix Romlus / Pandora... any experience?

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Hi All,

I'm mulling an imaginary system-building exercise for my office which has led me to the following option:

Revel Performa2 F52 speakers
Aesthetix Atlas Stereo amplifier
Aesthetix Romulus CD player / DAC
Sonos ZP90 (modified)

I have first-hand experience with everything save for the Romulus CD player. Some searching has shown that it's been very well-received and I'm hoping that someone here has spent some time with one and can shed some light.

I was specifically looking for a player with a digital input for the Sonos along with a volume control in order to drive an amp directly.

Anyone able to comment on the performance of the Aesthetix Romulus (or Pandora)?

AMP: I have no personal experience with the Atlas or Romulus, but I do have quite a bit of experience dealing with Aesthetix and I found them HORRIBLE from a service and warranty standpoint.

If you want phone numbers of those have similar experiences, let me know.

The Romulus/Pandora and Atlas are outstanding products.

I have a Pandora with the volume control driving an Atlas Signature and it's wonderful, as is Aesthetix support and service.

Unlike Mr.Tinn, I'm not a dealer/distributor.

Last edited:
AMP: I have no personal experience with the Atlas or Romulus, but I do have quite a bit of experience dealing with Aesthetix and I found them HORRIBLE from a service and warranty standpoint.

If you want phone numbers of those have similar experiences, let me know.

Thanks for the feedback Jonathan. Has this pattern developed recently? I had a Rhea phono stage from 2008-2011 and never had any issues. In fact Jim was always quick to respond to questions and was very accommodating in a couple of customizations to my unit. I never needed repair service, though.

The Romulus/Pandora and Atlas are outstanding products.

I have a Pandora with the volume control driving an Atlas Signature and it's wonderful, as is Aesthetix support and service.

Unlike Mr.Tinn, I'm not a dealer/distributor.

Can you comment at all on what other DACs you compared the Pandora to? I likely won't have an opportunity to audition the Romulus so I'm trying to get an idea of its sonic character. I'm quite familiar with the Theta and Wadia house sounds and am trying to find something that is generally neutral in presentation while still maintaining a fun to listen to quality.

Can you comment at all on what other DACs you compared the Pandora to? I likely won't have an opportunity to audition the Romulus so I'm trying to get an idea of its sonic character. I'm quite familiar with the Theta and Wadia house sounds and am trying to find something that is generally neutral in presentation while still maintaining a fun to listen to quality.

I've heard the Weiss DAC202, Antelope Gold DAC with Voltikus power supply, MSB Technology Signature Platinum DAC IV
and the PS Audio PWD MKII.

I feel the Pandora's overall sound is very natural.

Here's a review of the Romulus that might be of help:

http://forums.theaudioforums.com/showthread.php?321-Aesthetix-Romulus-CD-Player-DAC

Wow, guys, I am disappointed. I spent 45 minutes crafting a detailed A/B comparison of my Romulus with my analog rig, only to find that my session had timed out. Here is the skinny. Look at my system page to see my rig.
-Romulus sounds nearly the same as my analog rig. It is obvious that Aesthetix spent great effort making an analog-sounding CDP
-Romulus with stock tubes has a fuller sound than my analog rig (which is natural but not lean).
-Romulus is not quite as airy with stock tubes as is my analog rig. Difference is minor to me.
-Romulus, with stock tubes, does not have quite the individual black space between instruments that my analog rig conveys. Minor
-Romulus playback is louder than both my analog rig and my Rega Saturn

I have about 100 hours of play on Romulus and am using stock tubes. If the sound never gets any better than this, I am happy. But I expect that different tubes will alter my comments above and maybe eliminate some comments. Probably December before I can try different tubes and share results. The above differences are minor to me, as I have said, and they relate only to direct A/B comparisons with my vinyl playback rig. Folks who have A/B compared with other CDPs would have different comments, but my vinyl rig is the best method I have at hand. Other differences are inconsequential to me and not worth mentioning today. Differences I state above are very minor and resulted from A/B comparisons over and over again on top-notch classical recordings on EMI vinyl and CD. If anyone needs further info, I will provide my cell phone number in Florida to offer more opinions.

Brief update: I just ordered some nice NOS tubes to try in the Romulus. I hope to have some results after delivery and listening, probably arount Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the feedback Jonathan. Has this pattern developed recently? I had a Rhea phono stage from 2008-2011 and never had any issues. In fact Jim was always quick to respond to questions and was very accommodating in a couple of customizations to my unit. I never needed repair service, though.

No, it was a while back. Service was terrible, my customer was lied to and extremely overcharged. Jim blamed everything other than his product knowing he was having parts problems. Very sleezy.

I won't even take Aesthetix products in on trade it was so bad.

No, it was a while back. Service was terrible, my customer was lied to and extremely overcharged. Jim blamed everything other than his product knowing he was having parts problems. Very sleezy.

I won't even take Aesthetix products in on trade it was so bad.

Thank you for your candor, Jonathan. I will definitely take this data point into consideration as I make my final decision.

So far securing a demo of the Romulus has proven to be much more difficult than I had imagined so I'm looking to other options.

jap: I ordered Amperex 6922 and Telefunken 12AX7. Goal here is system matching and personal preference. I'm using Amperex 7316 in my preamp, which, combined with the rest of the system, gives me the sonic signature I like. In my system, the Romulus sounds slightly different (see my comments above), and I am seeking a bit more delicacy and air in the upper midrange and high frequencies. Example: my TT rig, when playing a top-quality classical recording in a big hall, reproduces cymbals and percussion about 25 feet behind the left speaker (where it should be), with the delicacy that conveys the ambience of the concert hall. The Romulus puts it about 20 feet behind the left speaker, but with considerably more emphasis. More than just 'louder', it is more dominant in the profile of the music, and it loses a bit of delicacy that my analog rig conveys. From another angle, the Romulus with stock tubes is heavier in the midrange and bass than my analog rig, and I expect that the new tubes will alter that. I prefer a well-balanced 'profile' of music, where the highs/mids/lows get a naturally balanced sound. My analog rig has quite a nice balance, although the Amperex 7316s do dance/sparkle a bit lively in the upper registers (but definitely not bright in my system). The Romulus stock tubes cause the highs to be less prominent than mids and bass, which causes this slight mis-match in the sonic profile.

Now, nothing says that the CD was produced with the same care as the LP and would ever sound 'the same'. But I am just trying to obtain the most similar sonics that I can achieve, which tells me that I am really, truly happy with my analog rig, and these direct comparisons give me exactly the right scenario to attempt it. I am trying hard in my above comments to bring light to the minor differences, so that folks can get an idea of what I'm hearing. But remember, I am putting this under the microscope for those purposes, and the Romulus sounds damn good. Those folks who listen primarily to vocals and straight-ahead jazz might prefer the stock tubes, as they add a little meat to the bones of the playback. But my ultimate test is complex classical, and that is what gives rise to my comments.

One last thing: My Romulus still has only 100 hours of play and is far from the mfr's published break-in point. And, after reading my comments above, folks will realize that I'm picky about differences in sonics. But my message here is that even with the comments above, I have a hard time NOT listening to the Romulus! It is soooo nice. That bit of 'butterscotch' in the sonics is the thing that most tube folks adore, and yes, it is a bit intoxicating. My system has the perfect balance of all the sonic traits I like, and I'm just trying to cut back a bit on the butterscotch for the sake of system matching all around. I hope that helps.

rtilden,

Thanks for the detailed response, it helps a lot.

I think we're both looking for the same small tweak to our Romulus/Pandora.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing