Affordable, Dependable, easily Sourced SPDIF Coax

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi guys. I need three 1m RCA terminated SPDIF cables. Maybe even another pair in the future. I don't need anything esoteric, just dependable with good termination. I will be using it for another aspect of my sound and music addiction, DJing. For the past years, I've been mixing on digital mainly due to convenience. As my vinyl decks are now boing refurbished, I have been more and more irritated by the sound I am getting from my digital DJ decks. Currently I am using Pioneer CDJ 2000 Nexus decks and either a DJM 2000 Nexus Mixer or a DJM 900 Nexus mixer. The components are linked via Ethernet so all I need to provide files across the system is a link to a PC pr MAC, a USB jump drive or even a smartphone. I have been using the analog output stages of the players into the analog inputs and ultimately the output of the mixers. I have been shall we say, underwhelmed. It dawned on me that the players out put SPDIF up to 24/96 and the mixers can route out up to 24/96 as well via the SPDIF I/Os even if my typical program material is either 320MP3s or .WAV from Beatport. This got me thinking that I do have a DAC graveyard!

Among those resting (hopefully not finally) in that graveyard is a Levinson 360S, a pair of Emm DCC2 SEs and even a really old but smooth Theta Pro Prime. There's also a plethora of compact DACs out in the market today that sound great for little outlay like another resident a Bel Canto. One thing for sure is that these do outperform the onboard Analog output stages in the Pioneer Nexus suite. So my plan is to do all mixing on the digital domain and have conversion out of the SPDIF output of the DJM mixers. For playing in clubs which I do extremely rarely the DCC2 looks like the candidate because of it's high potential output voltage but at home they will simply go to a practice pair of powered monitors. So really all I need are SPDIF cables that match my requirements as listed in the thread title. Dependable is the key here. Any and all suggestions will be most appreciated.

If I do decide to go nuts and have a DJ custom table made by Hoerboard, so I can put this in my main listening room, the DAC embedded in the table can route to my preamp OR if anyone can recommend an SPDIF cable that can be dependable for lengths between 7 and 10 meters I could also go straight into any of my current DACs the TechDAS D7i S, the Da Vinci Dual and soon a C1/X1. Recommendations for that would be very much appreciated as well.

TIA

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hi guys. I need three 1m RCA terminated SPDIF cables. Maybe even another pair in the future. I don't need anything esoteric, just dependable with good termination. I will be using it for another aspect of my sound and music addiction, DJing. For the past years, I've been mixing on digital mainly due to convenience. As my vinyl decks are now boing refurbished, I have been more and more irritated by the sound I am getting from my digital DJ decks. Currently I am using Pioneer CDJ 2000 Nexus decks and either a DJM 2000 Nexus Mixer or a DJM 900 Nexus mixer. The components are linked via Ethernet so all I need to provide files across the system is a link to a PC pr MAC, a USB jump drive or even a smartphone. I have been using the analog output stages of the players into the analog inputs and ultimately the output of the mixers. I have been shall we say, underwhelmed. It dawned on me that the players out put SPDIF up to 24/96 and the mixers can route out up to 24/96 as well via the SPDIF I/Os even if my typical program material is either 320MP3s or .WAV from Beatport. This got me thinking that I do have a DAC graveyard!

Among those resting (hopefully not finally) in that graveyard is a Levinson 360S, a pair of Emm DCC2 SEs and even a really old but smooth Theta Pro Prime. There's also a plethora of compact DACs out in the market today that sound great for little outlay like another resident a Bel Canto. One thing for sure is that these do outperform the onboard Analog output stages in the Pioneer Nexus suite. So my plan is to do all mixing on the digital domain and have conversion out of the SPDIF output of the DJM mixers. For playing in clubs which I do extremely rarely the DCC2 looks like the candidate because of it's high potential output voltage but at home they will simply go to a practice pair of powered monitors. So really all I need are SPDIF cables that match my requirements as listed in the thread title. Dependable is the key here. Any and all suggestions will be most appreciated.

If I do decide to go nuts and have a DJ custom made by Hoerboard, so I can put this in my main listening room. The DAC can route to my preamp OR if anyone can recommend an SPDIF cable that can be dependable for lengths between 7 and 10 meters I could also go straight into any of my current DACs the TechDAS D7i S, the Da Vinci Dual and soon a C1/X1. Recommendations for that would be very much appreciated as well.

TIA

No brainer..DH Labs D75. I use their TosLink, AES/EBU, and Coax cables. Tremendous values.

http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/D750.html

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Why not go pro Jack? I use a lot of Belden 1694a and also some Canare Gold -- don't think I'm giving anything up. Very robustly built as befits pro stuff too. If you can find Supra in your neck of the woods, good value too.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have thought Pro Bob but I'd have to have them terminated. A bit of a hassle. I was thinking more along the lines of something I could just order online.

Marc, DH is available locally so I could go that route.

Thanks guys!

Any more suggestions?

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Blue Jeans Cable ships internationally and uses Belden. They'll terminate at any length.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
My go-to 75ohm cable is the Black Cat Veloce. I don't know if they still sell them, but they were a steal at $123 for 1.23m. I still have two of them for connecting up Squeezeboxes ;)

From the Pro side when going for longer cables, I used the Apogee Wyde Eye and the SonicWave. For AES/EBU I used Mogami, but didn't like their S/PDIF cables.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Blue Jeans Cable ships internationally and uses Belden. They'll terminate at any length.

+1....I have several BJ cables and they are as good as it gets and are reasonably priced...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing