Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
bonzo75.....good for you! If you have never heard these you should go take a listen in all that is worth. Unfortunately space is limited......I think Munich will have the 2 panel version this year and nothing more in the US except me for now and I am working on more as I think the smaller model Tintoretto has a market here and Daniele is great to work with.

I definitely will, I had booked a trip in November that I had to cancel at the last moment

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Does anyone realize that for 200K for a system featuring these, you could hire a 3 piece ensemble to play for you for 2 hrs 3 times a week (20 man-hrs@50/hr= 1000/wk for 4-6 years. Just trying to put a bit of reality in the discussion. You could setup a rotating schedule of various musicians. Heck, if solo piano or cello is your thing, you could splurge for a 100/hr musician and do about 6-9 years, mix in some more pedestrian musicians and you could get 10-15 yrs. You could even interact with them. Setting up the talent and schedules would take less effort than what's spent here. Heck, you could even miss your own private performances and not worry about it just like when you travel and your 200K system is sitting idle for weeks. Oh yeah, that's what the Singer heiress did when living in Paris 100yrs ago. :p Full disclosure: I like nice gear too.

I don’t like people in my home. Ew.

Reactions: gwalt

William Kucharski

Dec 17, 2015
About 25 years of owning nothing but Martin Logans and Apogees.

Quads are well protected, far more so than Martin Logans, but they do lose performance over time. Basically material degeneration. Loss of tension, diaphragm coating failure, ribbon adhesive failure, clamp damping material failure etc etc.

I went through about 5 sets of ML panels in 17 years.

All speakers fail eventually. Planars are far less reliable than dynamic speakers. I did a survey on Martin Logans and the failure rate is really high.

I have a pair of Apogee Caliper Signatures I purchased in 1991, still going strong.

The only work any Apogee has needed that I know of is new foam, and, if you so desire, new Graz ribbons. I had my Caliper Signatures redone at the 18 year mark in 2009 and there have not fallen in quality since, now at the ten year mark since their rebuild.

I can't count how many people I know who have needed new cone drivers in their speakers over the same time interval of ownership, particularly Infinitys of the same era which have all needed new drivers due to rotting surrounds.

If one of the Botticelli owners could contact me, I'd appreciate it - I'd really like to know how they're getting on and I have a few questions the general audience here might not care about.

Personally I walked out of RMAF willing to pick up a pair as they had all of the Apogee magic and none of their shortcomings, and that includes dynamics.

Compare to the Analysis Audio Omegas which always looked like Apogees but never captured the magic the Apogees did, always instead sounding dull and lifeless.

Of all the speakers I have heard over my life, and there have been thousands including the Wilson Alexandria XLFs with Thor's Hammers, the single best pair of speakers I've ever heard have been a pair of rehabbed Apogee Full Ranges at the home of Apogee restorer Rich Murry.

I have never heard better sound before, or since.

Last edited:

William Kucharski

Dec 17, 2015
Does anyone realize that for 200K for a system featuring these, you could hire a 3 piece ensemble to play for you for 2 hrs 3 times a week (20 man-hrs@50/hr= 1000/wk for 4-6 years. Just trying to put a bit of reality in the discussion. You could setup a rotating schedule of various musicians. Heck, if solo piano or cello is your thing, you could splurge for a 100/hr musician and do about 6-9 years, mix in some more pedestrian musicians and you could get 10-15 yrs. You could even interact with them. Setting up the talent and schedules would take less effort than what's spent here. Heck, you could even miss your own private performances and not worry about it just like when you travel and your 200K system is sitting idle for weeks. Oh yeah, that's what the Singer heiress did when living in Paris 100yrs ago. :p Full disclosure: I like nice gear too.

Unfortunately, it's a bit difficult to hire Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Karen Carpenter or Prince to swing by the house, and anyone I could hire would merely be a poor imitation of them.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I can't count how many people I know who have needed new cone drivers in their speakers over the same time interval of ownership, particularly Infinitys of the same era which have all needed new drivers due to rotting surrounds.
Having owned 3 pairs of classic Infinity speakers in the last 30 years, and being an Infinity lover, I need to correct you there. The foam surrounds on some Infinity models from the mid 80's to early 90's were prone to rotting over time. But the drivers did not require replacement in that case. There are several repairers such as Watkins Stereo and Miller Sound who can refoam & service the drivers (incl: realigning the vc). And the replacement polyether foam and Airflex adhesive used by Watkins Stereo lasts much longer than the original foam. That said, the foam surrounds on my Reference 60's bass units lasted 18 years before needing to be serviced.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
@William

I'd love to agree with the reliability aspects of your post but the facts just don't line up with reality. Go and look at the Apogee forum archives. Your experience is unusual to say the least.

Obviously I am only re-iterating what I have already said.

Graz reckons the lifespan is about 10 years.

One thing is certain in hi-fi. And in most walks of life. If you say something, someone, somewhere will disagree with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: wisnon

gilles13

Dec 17, 2015
south of France
You don't have to disagree - you could sit quietly & let someone share THEIR experience.
I bougent m'y Ap
You don't have to disagree - you could sit quietly & let someone share THEIR experience.

I bought my Apogee caliper signature in 1990/1991 and they works perfectly. I am going to send them to Henk to get them overhauled at the end of the year.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I never heard the Calipers, but I bought my original Apogee Stages (which are sitting in front of me but extremely modified at this point) in 1990. They lasted a long time in original form, but eventually they did display the "acid etch" impedance drift in the bass panels aka they did not wash the panels sufficiently at manufacture and they changed impedance over time. However, that was after 15 years or so. I don't know if Calipers ever had the problem because they had different composition.

A guy gave me another pair of Stages for free at some point, I hooked them up many years ago and remembered the 'Wow' of just loving the sound of the original models. I had too much stuff at the time, and sold them for $500.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I bougent m'y Ap

I bought my Apogee caliper signature in 1990/1991 and they works perfectly. I am going to send them to Henk to get them overhauled at the end of the year.
Wise decision.
Maybe you can trade up to a nice pair of Duettas ;):cool:

Reactions: bonzo75

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

Well I did say I'd love to agree.

All I am doing is painting the bigger picture so people realise the truth.

This is a forum. Violent disagreements far in excess of the above have been known to occur. Keeps everyone glued when they do:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well I did say I'd love to agree.

All I am doing is painting the bigger picture so people realise the truth.

This is a forum. Violent disagreements far in excess of the above have been known to occur. Keeps everyone glued when they do:)

I think everyone should be made to take some hifi wigwam (Popular UK forum) training so that they get used to bar room brawls.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I think everyone should be made to take some hifi wigwam (Popular UK forum) training so that they get used to bar room brawls.

All the good stuff is back in the past. It's much tamer these days, since many moved to the Abbatoir.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
All the good stuff is back in the past. It's much tamer these days, since many moved to the Abbatoir

Yeah, Tony also cleaned up pink fish.

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Bodhi - they sounded up to the task to me - that is a very impressive demo - especially the $ value of what is driving them

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Bodhi - they sounded up to the task to me - that is a very impressive demo - especially the $ value of what is driving them
No question about the Tintoretto panels being up to task. Sorry if my post came across otherwise. I was just making the point that at circa $65kUS there is some stiff competition. For example, the GT Audio Works GTA3r panels + 2 x 12" Sound Insight servo subs and amps are $23.5k, plumb down to 15Hz, and have the same efficiency (93db @4 ohms) as the Tintoretto's. Are the Alsyvox speakers more than 2 1/2 times better? I'd find that a stretch.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Are the Alsyvox speakers more than 2 1/2 times better? I'd find that a stretch.

Are your Magico's 4.0 times better than DeVore's 096 or Lenehan ML5's - not a chance in hell - but that was not the point of my comment. The Alsyvox combo sounded brilliant - in my opinion it was the synergy of the turntable/SET/pre/poweramp - with the speakers that was outstanding.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing