Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Very interesting. Thank you.

PS: I agree on the EL34. Among higher power push-pull tube amps I think EL34 is a special tube for midrange and vocals. That is why I like the VTL MB-185 with EL34s.

Funny you mention EL34. I knew a tube amp designer who designed all types of tube amps from single ended to massive push pull tube amps. He confided in me that EL34 sounded better than any comparable KT series tubes. Even better are EL84 tubes.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Funny you mention EL34. I knew a tube amp designer who designed all types of tube amps from single ended to massive push pull tube amps. He confided in me that EL34 sounded better than any comparable KT series tubes. Even better are EL84 tubes.

I especially like EL34-based power amplifier in the application where the amplifier is powering only midrange and tweeter drivers, with low frequencies handled by a self-powered woofer system. That obviates the possibly valid concern in some situations about the EL34 not being great at controlling big cones at low frequencies

Last edited:

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
I especially like EL34-based power amplifier in the application where the amplifier is powering only midrange and tweeter drivers, with low frequencies handled by a self-powered woofer system. That obviates the possibly valid concern in some situations about the EL34 not being great at controlling big cones at low frequencies

Yes, if you can seamlessly integrate the midrange/tweeter with the powered woofer, that would be a dream setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Brand new Alsyvox Botticelli with warranty on sale on Audiogon and US Audio Mart.

So those belong to you? Asking as they are from Texas

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
On the market for less than a year and already falling into the selling to non dealers and then used market. This really irks me as I know some of the brands that are carrying Alsyvox like Dr Vinyl are legitimate dealers and not black market con artists out for a discount or profit pretending to be something they are not.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
On the market for less than a year and already falling into the selling to non dealers and then used market. This really irks me as I know some of the brands that are carrying Alsyvox like Dr Vinyl are legitimate dealers and not black market con artists out for a discount or profit pretending to be something they are not.

I should have made it more clear...I was interrupted during work while I was typing. Those are my pair and still brand new. I'm selling them to upgrade to the Alsyvox Caravaggio. I am not a black market con artist. And you don't know the back end story of Dr Vinyl who is no longer a dealer for Alsyvox.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California

And by no means will I make a profit by upgrading to the Caravaggio. I believe in Alsyvox as a great company to deal with and have the upmost respect for the designer/owner of Alsyvox. I actually asked and got his permission to put my speakers up for sale so I can upgrade.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I should have made it more clear...I was interrupted during work while I was typing. Those are my pair and still brand new. I'm selling them to upgrade to the Alsyvox Caravaggio. I am not a black market con artist. And you don't know the back end story of Dr Vinyl who is no longer a dealer for Alsyvox.

When you solicit yourself as a Bob Carver employee and ask for accommodation prices (no doubt used the same tactic to get the speakers) and you are not affiliated with them in any way I not sure what other label you would prefer to be used instead Mike.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
And by no means will I make a profit by upgrading to the Caravaggio. I believe in Alsyvox as a great company to deal with and have the upmost respect for the designer/owner of Alsyvox. I actually asked and got his permission to put my speakers up for sale so I can upgrade.
Why didn't they trade back in?

Last edited:

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
When you solicit yourself as a Bob Carver employee and ask for accommodation prices (no doubt used the same tactic to get the speakers) and you are not affiliated with them in any way I not sure what other label you would prefer to be used instead Mike.

You need to check you facts. I never claimed that I was Bob's employee. Bob and I developed a prototype amp together, which I'm trying to bring to market. Before you try to defame me, try contacting Bob himself. I do not work with Bob's employees. You as a dealer should be careful as to who you accuse of being unscrupulous. I always try to know the facts before I accuse anyone of anything that can defame or tarnish someone's reputation.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
If I had not spent 30K$ on getting Dave and Mscaler, Stax009S and Carbon headphoen amplifier this year, then I may consider this speaker as former user of Apogee Duetta Signature.

I hope that this one will end up with experienced user of planar speaker who will appreciate its sound.

Last edited:

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
I I had not spent 30K$ on getting Dave and Mscaler, Stax009S and Carbon headphoen amplifier this year, then I may consider this speaker as former user of Apogee Duetta Signature.

I hope that this one will end up with experienced user of planar speaker who will appreciate its sound.

Anyone who is lucky enough to own these speakers will have no regrets. Thanks.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
You need to check you facts. I never claimed that I was Bob's employee. Bob and I developed a prototype amp together, which I'm trying to bring to market. Before you try to defame me, try contacting Bob himself. I do not work with Bob's employees. You as a dealer should be careful as to who you accuse of being unscrupulous. I always try to know the facts before I accuse anyone of anything that can defame or tarnish someone's reputation.

Well then I suggest that when you make inquires that you don;t include in the email "I am with Bob Carver". I did speak to Bob, hence the reason I know you have no affiliation with his company even though you introduce yourself as such.

I don't need to "be careful" about anything. A simple snip it of the email would be sufficient enough.

That is the last I will say on the matter as I have said my peace and since I don't have any financial interest in Alsyvox I will take my leave. Hopefully Bob V can repair the damage to the brand.

-J

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Why don't you trade them in to the original dealer? As a buyer, I'd rather get a discount on these previously sold as new speakers and get dealer support. Have you discussed this option with your dealer?

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Well then I suggest that when you make inquires that you don;t include in the email "I am with Bob Carver". I did speak to Bob, hence the reason I know you have no affiliation with his company even though you introduce yourself as such.

I don't need to "be careful" about anything. A simple snip it of the email would be sufficient enough.

That is the last I will say on the matter as I have said my peace and since I don't have any financial interest in Alsyvox I will take my leave. Hopefully Bob V can repair the damage to the brand.

-J

I explained to you exactly what my affiliation with Bob Carver was, just as I posted. Which Bob did you talk to? There was another Bob in his company who was the president/CEO and ran the sales for awhile. If you ever go to RMAF this year, you can meet me and Bob Carver together.

Last edited:

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Why don't you trade them in to the original dealer? As a buyer, I'd rather get a discount on these previously sold as new speakers and get dealer support. Have you discussed this option with your dealer?

There was no US dealer or distributor when I got them. I had to get mine directly through Alsyvox.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
There was no US dealer or distributor when I got them. I had to get mine directly through Alsyvox.
This is very strange. Why did you buy them, and not even try them out? Then you say you want to 'upgrade' How can you upgrade before you even try them out. No way that is normal behavour.

This all seems very odd...
If you bought them direct at a discount, then that could damage the brand for sure reselling. I think you should talk to Alysvox and see if they will take them as a trade in on your 'upgrade'. That is if there is an upgrade?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing