Am I crazy to buy speakers of 22K $ without auditioning.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

Shall I fly to Guangzhou, China to listen to this speaker in company demonstration room?

I am intrigued after watching this video.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For the music, like he says at minute 1, oh my god dood

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ha, music was quite unexpected... dood!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Sounds utterly miserable to me. After watching that video I would specifically not make the trip lol.

That being said, I think those speakers might have potential to sound reasonable given appropriate software and setup.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thomas,
It’s so hard to say from the video but I do love Line Magnetic amps so would be a fascinating journey to hear the range.

Reactions: thomask

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Would you get married without dating?

Reactions: Nascimento

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Thomas,
It’s so hard to say from the video but I do love Line Magnetic amps so would be a fascinating journey to hear the range.

I will stay in Korea until 31st, March and considered hopping to Guangzhou for two days between 28th and 30th.

But it will take 5 days to get entry visa to China so it may be impossible to go there now.

It is not like marrying but getting new girlfriend without meeting.

My wife will be Lansche 4.1 even after getting LM3 speaker.

If I like it, then I may keep it for 3 years or longer.

Otherwise I have to sell it at loss.

I am still looking for the process of going in there through Hong Kong.

If there is any place to audition LM3 in Hong Kong, It will be nice.

If anyone know the place, let me know.

I can go to Hong Kong without entry visa.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Let us put aside for the moment yhe notion of having a girlfriend and a wife. Ahem.
I think I have purchased upgrades of a model or new model of a-product from company's I highly regard. I usually expected either store credit or refund if I were not satisfied. That would be a risky proposition, provided $22k is a significant amount of money for you/ I would expect it would depreciate 20% when you break the seal on the box. I wouldexpect another 20% after use.
But like a girlfriend, if you gotta have it now..well you know.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I can specify why I consider getting LM3 speakers as second system in addition to Lansche 4.1

The most nice thing about Lansche 4.1 driven by SET amplifiers is vocal ( Jazz or classical).

It has clean and nuanced details out of plasma tweeters.

With such fine details, Elvis or Eva Cassidy appears to sing in front of me with spooky presence.

It also provides very wide soundstage but its soundstage depth is decent but not spectacular in my room.

Its dynamics is very good ( will be enough for most of home).

With LM3, I wish to get more powerful dynamics and deeper soundstage out of 15 inch high efficiency woofer and mid range horn

It is hard to judge the sound from Youtube video.

But the following video hint powerful dynamics and deeper soundstage.

I agree with other members that I have to find it out by auditioning it myself.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I had auditioned Arion Audio Apollo System whose advantage is high efficiency of 105db/w of main tower, in NC, US on January this year.

Custom neodymium magnets weighing just under one pound are used for each driver of main tower which cover over 120hz .

Arion speaker provides very wide and deep soundstage ( slightly deeper than Lansche 4.1).

It also provides very good dynamics (as good as Lansche 4.1).

But Lansche 4.1 provides slightly more nuanced details ( Arion is no slouch in details but falls short of plasma tweeters).

The main reason that I did not pull the trigger for Arion as second system is that it does not have explosive dynamics offered by vintage horn system with big woofer.

It's two 10 inch woofers provides tight and fast bass to match main line source tower rather than explosive dynamics.

Overall Arion Apollo speaker is an excellent value and I would have jumped at it if I do not have Lansche 4.1.

I recommend other member with small power SET amplifier to audition Arion speaker yourself.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/l...fle-line-source-loudspeaker-system-full-range

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Alas. A great girlfriend is just that. You will have to marry her to find out what kind of wife she is. Or not even an audition is equal to a long term in home ownership.
Best wishes.
P.S. We have two Elvis(Elvi?). Did you mean Pressley or Costello?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Alas. A great girlfriend is just that. You will have to marry her to find out what kind of wife she is. Or not even an audition is equal to a long term in home ownership.
Best wishes.
P.S. We have two Elvis(Elvi?). Did you mean Pressley or Costello?

I mean Pressley

I agree with you that one or two hour auditioning at unfamiliar setting may not be enough to form long term relationship.

I had lived with Lansche 4.1 for 12 years and overall it is an excellent speaker not easy to replace.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
With that type of music I would go anywhere. ...Anywhere but here.
...Anywhere where it's not playing. :D

I'm just kidding, whatever music rocks one boat it's all that matters. And there is no place far enough in our galaxy :cool: to get away or closer.

* Needs some fine tuning in the vocals, the range is quite limited ... IMO. :p

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
With that type of music I would go anywhere. ...Anywhere but here.
...Anywhere where it's not playing. :D

I'm just kidding, whatever music rocks one boat it's all that matters. And there is no place far enough in our galaxy :cool: to get away or closer.

* Needs some fine tuning in the vocals, the range is quite limited ... IMO. :p
It may be too much gamble to buy LM3 horn speakers without audition.

I cherish vocal music and it will not be easy to tune the speaker to best voice that I want.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Today I'm smiling. For vocals (opera and chorals) I would say audition first, for everything else (Lady Gaga, Mötley Crüe, Judas Priest, Ozzy Osbourne, AC?DC, ...) no audition needed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing