American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hello Tang,

I've really enjoyed listening to this video of yours.... How I wish I could experience it in person vs just thru my MacBook Pro.
Could you please share with me the specific lp that is playing...Which label, released when...etc. I would like to search for it so that I can listen to it on my system. I love this rendition!

Best wishes,
Don
Hi Don,
I find this piece very interesting too. I believe it is Ida Haendel. Ddk recorded it. I just posted his video.

17D2C721-8D62-40BF-BC3D-D858404ACA36.jpeg
Video is really great for introducing music.

Regards,
Tang

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
I just bought a near mint copy of the ASD 3483 Britten Walton Violin Concertos Ida Haendel Bournemouth Paavo Berglund on the popular auction site. It will be coming from the United Kingdom to me here in the U.S.
I can't wait to listen to it!
Thank you for posting your video which inspired me to search for it :)
Best wishes,
Don

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I just bought a near mint copy of the ASD 3483 Britten Walton Violin Concertos Ida Haendel Bournemouth Paavo Berglund on the popular auction site. It will be coming from the United Kingdom to me here in the U.S.
I can't wait to listen to it!
Thank you for posting your video which inspired me to search for it :)
Best wishes,
Don

Lucky you! I looked for that original NM LP on Discogs, saw 3 copies, blinked, saw 1 copy in Europe. (Pretty sure two were nabbed by WBF members.) The postage from Europe was more than the album. I don't know what it cost to send an album from the US to the UK or EU, but postage to the US from either is silly. At least in the US we have media mail.

The music is fantastic.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Lucky you! I looked for that original NM LP on Discogs, saw 3 copies, blinked, saw 1 copy in Europe. (Pretty sure two were nabbed by WBF members.) The postage from Europe was more than the album. I don't know what it cost to send an album from the US to the UK or EU, but postage to the US from either is silly. At least in the US we have media mail.

The music is fantastic.
Yes, having albums shipped from Europe, UK, Japan is very expensive indeed. However, I've been able to buy a lot of great recordings in truly NM condition from those countries that I enjoy very much. I find that they grade much more accurately there than what many sellers here in the USA do.

The way I justify the expense of buying the NM records and the shipping cost from overseas is that I can enjoy this music for many years at the same cost as I would pay for one ticket to Symphony Hall for an only one night experience.

Now, for some irony.... I just came across this very same record being sold on the auction site from a gentleman in Oconomowoc, WI. About 1.5 hour car ride from where I live. I sent him a quick message asking about the condition and he said it was in like new condition. I put the bid in tonight and won the auction! So hopefully, one of these two lp's will truly be in NM condition :)

Best wishes,
Don

Reactions: christoph and tima

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
Shipping cost have gone up considerably on Discogs and other similar services, in the last couple of years. And Discogs changed their shipping policy, which added further to boost shipping costs. I hardly buy music software online anymore.

Reactions: tima

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Europeans often had build up classical music collections for representative purposes only. They rarely used those records, thats why many of them are still in pristine condition. That habit was practised mostly in the educated middle and upper class. In contrary, I purchased many classical records from the US and the majority of them have been used, some of them in heavy rotation. But some of them are pristine, too. But much more rarely than the european classical records.

And I received old used records from the US that are dirty in a way I haven't experienced it before. Those records come from the 1950's-1960's. It seems that the households had at least one person who smoked heavily while listening to the records. They have to be cleaned three times to remove the dirt and dust on their surfaces. Inconceivable the living room conditions in which people used them.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Europeans often had build up classical music collections for representative purposes only. They rarely used those records, thats why many of them are still in pristine condition. That habit was practised mostly in the educated middle and upper class. In contrary, I purchased many classical records from the US and the majority of them have been used, some of them in heavy rotation. But some of them are pristine, too. But much more rarely than the european classical records.

And I received old used records from the US that are dirty in a way I haven't experienced it before. Those records come from the 1950's-1960's. It seems that the households had at least one person who smoked heavily while listening to the records. They have to be cleaned three times to remove the dirt and dust on their surfaces. Inconceivable the living room conditions in which people used them.
At least they weren’t also snorting coke off them like in the 80’s and 90’s… gotta count your blessings.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I still have my 'frying bacon scratched' Quicksilver record that had a marijuana seed melted into the dead wax when I bought it. The seed fell off at some point, record still sounds like frying bacon but it is kind of interesting to listen to anyway.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
. I keep repeating myself but it’s all about the bass, AS2000, SME 3012-R plus the DST is the ultimate vinyl front end for now, of course IMO & IME.

david

Dave

That is pretty definite statement.

Is this regardless of the music being reproduced? Imo, lite jazz and classical is reasonably easy to reproduce.

Can it also reproduce rock, synth, electronica, reggae and many other musical styles that are not rooted in the 1950's?

Here is a Smashing Pumpkins recording - certainly not anything audiophile - something that would have sold multiple times over any of our Audiophile recording

How would your ultimate front end play this and alike?

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Dave

Is this regardless of the music being reproduced? Imo, lite jazz and classical is reasonably easy to reproduce.

Can it also reproduce rock, synth, electronica, reggae and many other musical styles that are not rooted in the 1950's?

Here is a Smashing Pumpkins recording - certainly not anything audiophile - something that would have sold multiple times over any of our Audiophile recording

XV-1, What turntable, arm, and cartridge are you using for that video recording?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
XV-1, What turntable, arm, and cartridge are you using for that video recording?

Hi Peter - Technics Sp10 mk3, Acoustand plinth, Thales Simplicity II tonearm, Ortofon A90 cartridge, Symposium Ultra stand, Accuphase C-37 phono, Phasemation T-550 SUT. Samsung S21 Ultra phone.

Reactions: PeterA

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
ddk has said before he listens to Tool. I’d like to hear that on the big system too!

So would I. But Tool is very well recorded, so any good system will sound good. Much like Diana Krell.
I am interested in the not so good recordings, but better musically. Hence my never to be repeated Pumpkins track.

I am spinning Tone Poet Sonny Clark - My Conception. Sounds really good as does almost every KPG. But how does it play Pumpkins - back to my original question

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Dave

Love the diffusers on the front wall.
Can you elaborate on them, please

djsina2

May 30, 2019
So would I. But Tool is very well recorded, so any good system will sound good. Much like Diana Krell.
I am interested in the not so good recordings, but better musically. Hence my never to be repeated Pumpkins track.

I am spinning Tone Poet Sonny Clark - My Conception. Sounds really good as does almost every KPG. But how does it play Pumpkins - back to my original question
No system is going to make a poor recording sound good. At least Tool is not the same old sparse instrumentals or vocal based tracks we always hear which do excel on most systems.

Reactions: ddk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dave

Yes it is.
Of course and Classical is always challenging in bass. Acoustic instruments are very demanding and have many layers of texture, tone, volume and then there‘s the separation of instruments and their individual character. Then there’s the natural aspect for realism which includes levels, full range without turning a cello into a double bass which. There’s a lot of sophistication to what you think is easy to reproduce. Natural sound is always a challenge specially in the bass.
Of course, electronic sound is a lot less demanding to reproduce but I wouldn’t waste a Neumann with it. I used to DJ at clubs all the way to my mid 30’s, in that setting the demand was mainly with the electronics and speakers. What we did to get the people moving and heads banging, shaking, etc. was play with the pitch and AS2000 has fine pitch control then eq the rest of the system to taste. There’s no real live reference for electronic amplified music so anything goes as long as it plays loud enough without distortion.

Send me the record and find out.

david

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
What was needed for this kind of "club music" was a pair of JBL horn speakers (the stadium version with the four fiteen inchers in a cab), two mono 500 watt PA power amps and a mixing pre for the DJ. This all could be SS stuff. It always was enough to bang the peoples heads away.
After leaving the club, ears rang for post- clubbing hours. Nothing has been changed in that recipe until today.

• Haha
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing