American Sound, "The Absolute Nothing"

…for others it (vintage gear) may simply be because specific vintage components are judged to sound better than their contemporary alternatives.
That is certainly the case with me. While many of my components are old, that’s not why I chose them. The fact my woofers were made in 1947 is something I find amusing, even amazing really, but the reason they’re in my speakers is they sound the best of any woofers I’ve tried.

"Talking your book" is a Wall Street expression which refers to touting named stocks in one's portfolio. If I were "talking my book" here I would have related Clarisys Audio speakers to vintage speakers, but I wrote no such thing. As the term is generally used there is no "talking your book" if you don't mention your particular stock.

Okay. Yes I know how the phrase derived. You are being a tad finnicky to deflect. Go a little broader from 'clarysis model' to 'new equipment'. Poetic license, etc. Your dealership sells new equipment and you do not sell vintage. You were talking about equipment aging in a conversation about vintage gear. As a dealer of new equipment I understand your desire to encourage aging.

Okay. Yes I know how the phrase derived. You are being a tad finnicky to deflect. Go a little broader from 'clarysis model' to 'new equipment'. Poetic license, etc. Your dealership sells new equipment and you do not sell vintage. You were talking about equipment aging in a conversation about vintage gear. As a dealer of new equipment I understand your desire to encourage aging.

This is how I read Ron’s comments too. He actually used the loaded term “decay”. Well, my speakers from the late 50s have not decayed and my vintage cartridges have not decayed.

Buying, preferring, and discussing vintage gear is it odds with the interests of the mainstream audio industry. I understand where Ron is coming from.

Reactions: tima
This is how I read Ron’s comments too. He actually used the loaded term “decay”. Well, my speakers from the late 50s have not decayed and my vintage cartridges have not decayed.

Buying, preferring, and discussing vintage gear is it odds with the interests of the mainstream audio industry. I understand where Ron is coming from.

I don't think mainstream audio and vintage should be at odds given the robust used marketplace. There is competition for each dollar. Dealers found they need to take trade-ins to make a new sale. I suppose used is a prelude to vintage.

I'm actually not sure what counts as vintage. Is it 25 years to get an antique car license plate? I don't know much about wine but I thought vintage was the year the wine is ... what ... bottled? BobV will know. Not specific to a trade, 'vintage' sounds like it belongs to something made before WWII.

He actually used the loaded term “decay”.
"Loaded"? Wow, you are reaching!

Yes, decay is a reasonable description of what happens to electrolytic capacitors.

Well, my speakers from the late 50s have not decayed
How would you even know?

Here is a simple yes or no question: Does your Vitavox CN191 use an electrolytic capacitor or a carbon composition resistor?

Last edited:
"Loaded"? Wow, you are reaching!

Yes, decay is a reasonable description of what happens to electrolytic capacitors.

And the glues in wood speaker cabinets? Decay?

How would you even know?

Here is a simple yes or no question: Does your Vitavox CN191 use an electrolytic capacitor or a carbon composition resistor?

I do not know. But if the speaker has now decayed after 65 years and.I still prefer it to the modern alternatives, imagine what it most have sounded like when new. How much progress has the industry made in 50-60 years? I get your position. You sell new speakers and review new gear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu