American Sound, "The Absolute Nothing"

We are in agreement that different people have different preferences. My objection is when there are clear advancements in certain products. The Apex on dCS and the recent Wilson Audio driver, etc. upgrades are, in my view based on long-term ownership of the before and after models, significant improvements in what came before.

Well, if these clear advancements are not appreciated by half of the audiophiles, at least those in my group, can they be still considered as clear advancements? Maybe DCS needs to try harder!

Oh, I see DCS has just introduced a new flagship model, I suppose it must have even more clearer advancements no doubt ;)

Last edited:
No, I disagree. Good restorers can spot all issues with spiders, suspension, magnets, so those are not an issue in good restores.

Separately, vintage speakers are often harsh and shouty if implemented incorrectly, definitely Altec is sh*t in stock form.

Whether soft or not when properly done is purely a matter of which driver and if tweeter used.

Proper restores will have crossovers changed.

Then it’s not a proper restoration. It’s a proper modification that some people prefer and others don’t.

Then it’s not a proper restoration. It’s a proper modification that some people prefer and others don’t.

Fully agree , a crossover change will completely change the out put / sound character .

Modification and restoration are 2 completely different things .
If you respect the specifications of the original X over components you stay close to the designers intention

Fully agree , a crossover change will completely change the out put / sound character .

Modification and restoration are 2 completely different things .
If you respect the specifications of the original X over components you stay close to the designers intention

It’s the same with stiffening the cabinet and changing the drivers. You’re using parts and assembling something new and often very different from the original intent. That is fine, but be honest with what you are actually doing. You may like the new sound better and that is fine too, but it is not the same as what was.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Anyone with ears can hear which is a good one or a bad one. Yes technically it is a modification. Never heard a good stock one

Anyone with ears can hear which is a good one or a bad one. Yes technically it is a modification. Never heard a good stock one

I agree. If it’s bad it is bad. Not all vintage gear sounds good, but the rare and coveted stuff that has stood the test of time and remains in demand can sound superb. Just like with new stuff. There is good and there is bad. There’s nothing wrong with making a new speaker out of parts. It’s just not accurate to call it a restoration. I’m glad you like the sound of the modified speaker.

I agree. If it’s bad it is bad. Not all vintage gear sounds good, but the rare and coveted stuff that has stood the test of time and remains in demand can sound superb. Just like with new stuff. There is good and there is bad. There’s nothing wrong with making a new speaker out of parts. It’s just not accurate to call it a restoration. I’m glad you like the sound of the modified speaker.

The stock ones were usually made for theatres for voice for 500 people not for audio in a room. Or for clubs and concerts

The stock ones were usually made for theatres for voice for 500 people not for audio in a room. Or for clubs and concerts

I understand why people enjoy modifying some vintage cabinets and playing with other parts. It's a hobby. I do not know much about it, but I do not see many modifying Bionors, Diatones, Vitavox, Tannoys, WEs. People seem to want those in original, unmodified condition. The Living Voice is something new.

I understand why people enjoy modifying some vintage cabinets and playing with other parts. It's a hobby. I do not know much about it, but I do not see many modifying Bionors, Diatones, Vitavox, Tannoys, WEs. People seem to want those in original, unmodified condition. The Living Voice is something new.
Quite the reverse, there are too many modifying those. There is a guy in London who modifies both Klangfilm and WE. His client is a big architect who has the Euronor Jr. He himself has the Mirrophonic. The Paris Euronor is modded, the guys who are the authority on Klangfilm are in Germany, reach out to them and ask. There are guys everywhere. You need to open your eyes and ears beyond David.

Reactions: Argonaut
Quite the reverse, there are too many modifying those. There is a guy in London who modifies both Klangfilm and WE. His client is a big architect who has the Euronor Jr. He himself has the Mirrophonic. The Paris Euronor is modded, the guys who are the authority on Klangfilm are in Germany, reach out to them and ask. There are guys everywhere. You need to open your eyes and ears beyond David.

You cannot simply inform, can you?

Reactions: Audiohertz2
All I know is that electrolytic capacitors and carbon composition resistors decay over decades, and that almost all audiophiles and engineers alike believe that they should be replaced.

Remember, I asked you if you have any components with electrolytic crossovers in them? From what I read electrolytic capacitors have a fairly long MTBF and may decay over decades, but they have a relatively short shelf life. They are meant to be electrified. If they are not used within a couple years of being made (no electricity) they deteriorate quickly. Since you had your audio system in storage.for several years (7?) you may want to check that out.

Reactions: Lagonda
You cannot simply inform, can you?

No, not when peter is misrepresenting that Tannoys, Bionors, etc are not modded, even though he does not know. You two really need to start reporting what is and what you hear instead of just supporting each other - you can't just call out Ron for tallking his book when you two are talking your group's. Keep this as a hobby without your group agendas.

No, not when peter is misrepresenting that Tannoys, Bionors, etc are not modded, even though he does not know. You two really need to start reporting what is and what you hear instead of just supporting each other - you can't just call out Ron for tallking his book when you two are talking your group's. Keep this as a hobby without your group agendas.

I did not write that they are not being modified, I wrote that I do not see many being modified as opposed to the many Altecs that are modified. You and I both know I do not know much about this. It is my impression from what I see and read I’m happy to be corrected.

When originals in good condition from these rarer brands sound so good, why modify them? I understand if something is broken, and they need to be restored or modified, but generally, these are very rare and if you find one in good condition, they sound so good, why mess with it?

I understand people are trying to cobble together drivers in cabinets from incomplete samples, but that is different.

Last edited:

That Klangfilm scene was all pretty much started off amongst amateur enthusiast , vintage audio clubs , out in the Far East and Europe … and not looking to make a buck $$$$$$

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu